NFL: Raiders to Las Vegas

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So will they play in UNLV's stadium then until they build a new stadium?

EDIT: Sounds like they will wait it out in Oakland until the new stadium is built.

This seems idiotic to me. Who in Oakland is going to go to a raiders game, other than to throw **** at the players, and cheer the opposing teams. Go play at UNLV, it is a 35k venue. No worse than the Chargers playing in a 30k venue.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think, since they are moving to the desert, they should tweak their name to reflect that. How about the Las Vegas Tusken Raiders. Of course that will mean getting approval from Disney. But it happened with the Anaheim Ducks, so it could be a real possibility.

82784_0.jpg

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
See how the changer fans reacted why would it be any different for raiders fans?
If you're a fan of the Raiders because you live in Oakland/have a connection to Oakland, then it probably won't be a much different. But (and I have no data backing this up), I feel like the Raiders are a bigger brand nationally/you're more likely to just be a raider's fan nationally.Those people would be less likely to switch since they never had a connection to Oakland anyway, so why would it matter if they moved

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
See how the changer fans reacted why would it be any different for raiders fans?

Two completely different fan bases. Does anybody give two ***** about the Chargers outside of San Diego?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This. LA still has a large Raider fan base. It's just a short drive to Vegas. That road will be packed full of fans who'll spend a ton of money and shoot at each other with some regularity.

The LA media seems to think this is all but a done deal. Seems like a perfect fit. Anything to keep the Raiders out of SoCal. Their fans.....

So I-15 is going to become a real life "Mad Max" for at least 8 weekends of the year. I guess why not - their fans already dress the part.

c0a55d985e92b55372dc1383baf26177a15c603c085744979d942a70bf4d6cf9.jpg

9520fe10e0c72ad4886ebc61b2e25d67.jpg

You have to think, though, the Raiders organization is pissed with themselves for allowing the Chargers to beat them (back) to LA.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
So I-15 is going to become a real life "Mad Max" for at least 8 weekends of the year. I guess why not - their fans already dress the part.

You have to think, though, the Raiders organization is pissed with themselves for allowing the Chargers to beat them (back) to LA.

If the Raiders end up moving to Vegas, half the stadium each game will be the other team's fans.

Every fanbase is going to make a weekend trip out of it. I'm in when the Bears visit.

• Agree
Reactions: ManBearClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It looks like the Raiders have lost their primary investor in Vegas.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/oakla...stor-pulls-out-of-stadium-deal-024020351.html
Goldman Sachs to the rescue? The deal does sound a little outrageous, basically allowing to Raiders the profit from a lot of ongoing revenue while cutting out the other 2/3 of the money that made it happen. Just another raw deal for the average joe, but I am sure the residents don't care that much. The burden appears to be entirely passed on to the tourists.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The biggest Raiders fan I know would be torn but likely still a Raiders fan. He would be upset because he is originally from Northern CA but he would like the move because he is now in Phoenix and getting to games would be so much easier. He never stopped being a Raiders fan when they moved to LA so why would he now?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Officially headed to Vegas. While I don't have a rooting interest for any of the relocated teams, this just reaffirms my growing dislike for the NFL. What a disservice to the fan bases of these teams. I think the NFL is playing a dangerous game with their fans. The diehards will keep watching, but between this and the CTE studies I'm become pretty jaded towards this league, and I doubt I'm the only one.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Officially headed to Vegas. While I don't have a rooting interest for any of the relocated teams, this just reaffirms my growing dislike for the NFL. What a disservice to the fan bases of these teams. I think the NFL is playing a dangerous game with their fans. The diehards will keep watching, but between this and the CTE studies I'm become pretty jaded towards this league, and I doubt I'm the only one.

It definitely sucks for the fans. However, Oakland's stadium is completely outdated. It's hard to expect them to compete against the newest stadiums out there for revenue generation.

And we know it sucks to make tax payers foot the bill, but that's the current model that pretty much everyone is following for getting a new stadium and any chance for a new team.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Bad move by the Raiders imo
depends on how you measure it. From a financial standpoint, it's almost certainly not a bad move. They're going to make more money in Vegas. With a giant new stadium and lots of wealthy companies in the area to buy up those PSLs and luxury boxes? They'll crush it financially compared to Oakland before a single game is played.

From an optics perspective, though? Yeah, it's a bad move.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If they can't get a new stadium built in Oakland, it's hard for them NOT to go.

This. I don't like it. I hate that teams move like this. But, it's hard to expect them not to do whatever they can to maximize their profits. And this, pretty clearly, is the reasoning for the move.

I hope more and more communities stand up to the NFL the way the San Diego did, and refuse to use public funds to pay for stadiums. But, Las Vegas is offering public money, it's not shocking at all to see why a team would follow the money.