Rebounding

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
I'm not a big-time McD critic, just because bashing rarely helps. Garrett, for example, has grown infinitely as a player under McD. But for the rebounding hype McD receives, this team is atrocious at hitting the glass. It's not that teams are jumping higher than us--it's that we literally DO NOT box out. What's the deal here? I'm willing to put some blame on the players--guys get too far under the basket consistently--but good god, can't McD just run a week of block out drills to fix this freaking problem? It's so aggrevating to watch.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I'm not much of a GMac fan as a coach (as a person he's cool, good guy), but he said there's a problem with the team for rebounding like "If we work on rebounding anymore it will be a waste of time."

I guarantee though, if we knew how to rebound, this game would have been a lot closer than it ended up.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Per Jay Billas, one problem is when they are on D they swarm the shooter trying to block the shot thus not being ready to rebound.

Last edited:

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think rebounding is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

The players on this team need to learn their roles, and play as a team. A lot of the time they look like they are 5 individuals playing rec-ball instead of playing as a team.

I will say over the past few games they have made improvements.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
One problem is when they are on D they swarm the shooter trying to block the shot thus not being ready to rebound.

I DVR'd the game and watched part of the first half again. This is pretty much exactly what Jay Billas said, lol

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Rebounding starts when the shot clock starts, not when it resets. We get ourselves in crappy position by letting the opposition into the lane, collapsing their entire team on the boards, we have 2-3 guys who only want to block the shot, and they're out of position when the board comes down.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Rebounding starts when the shot clock starts, not when it resets. We get ourselves in crappy position by letting the opposition into the lane, collapsing their entire team on the boards, we have 2-3 guys who only want to block the shot, and they're out of position when the board comes down.

IMO the only time you give a player a green light to always try to block shots is when you have a Cato/Mutombo type player.

Note that is only ONE player attempting to block instead of rebounding, and those type players still racked up huge boards because they didn't swat at everything.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
IMO the only time you give a player a green light to always try to block shots is when you have a Cato/Mutombo type player.

Note that is only ONE player attempting to block instead of rebounding, and those type players still racked up huge boards because they didn't swat at everything.

Honestly, a very small reason we kept it "close" in the first half is because we had success blocking them and when we did get the ball back after blocking, we actually kind of converted.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

That's the issue with Gilstrap and Dendy. Watch JUCO ball...you can get away with that a lot. Let the guy by, swat his shot. Brackins is playing much more aggressive this season and going after shots since we don't have to work so hard to keep him out of foul trouble to carry the team. You can't have your three tallest players trying to swat everything. It'll never work.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

One thing that makes defenses very good is when players learn to play help defense correctly (i.e. 2-3 guys challenging the shot while still keeping track of the guy that they are supposed to box out). As you point out, many times, ISU's players just go for the shot, and forget about the guy they are supposed to box out. If helping another player challenge a shot by his man means you can't get back to your man to box him out, then you don't help out on that shot.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

That's the issue with Gilstrap and Dendy. Watch JUCO ball...you can get away with that a lot. Let the guy by, swat his shot. Brackins is playing much more aggressive this season and going after shots since we don't have to work so hard to keep him out of foul trouble to carry the team. You can't have your three tallest players trying to swat everything. It'll never work.

Honestly, a very small reason we kept it "close" in the first half is because we had success blocking them and when we did get the ball back after blocking, we actually kind of converted.

Except that they got 3 of the blocks back and put them in for easy buckets.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

We also gave up 12 offensive rebounds during that time, which probably cost us just as much as we saved. Don't forget that about 1/2 of the blocks were recovered by Duke.

Most of the time when you block shots, you are behind the shooter and it puts you in a poor position for rebounding, unless you are a freak like Mutombo/Cato with 10' long arms, and they were good at directing blocked shots.

Don't get me wrong, blocked shots are my favorite part of the game. Cato is probably my favorite player of all time.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Don't get me wrong, blocked shots are my favorite part of the game. Cato is probably my favorite player of all time.

I liked Cato as well... even though he tried to steel CD's from me when he lived on my dorm floor.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
We also gave up 12 offensive rebounds during that time, which probably cost us just as much as we saved. Don't forget that about 1/2 of the blocks were recovered by Duke.

Most of the time when you block shots, you are behind the shooter and it puts you in a poor position for rebounding, unless you are a freak like Mutombo/Cato with 10' long arms, and they were good at directing blocked shots.

Yeah, that too. Well as I said earlier...if we knew how to rebound, it would have been a closer game.

I know what you mean though...

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
It's also hard to rebound when guys are chucking up shots with no one in position to get the board. I've seen more shots go up with absolutely no one in the paint or positioning themselves for a good angle for rebounds. Never saw this kind of thing go on when Larry was here and we were one of the better rebounding teams in the nation. And by the way, we won a lot of games.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It's also hard to rebound when guys are chucking up shots with no one in position to get the board. I've seen more shots go up with absolutely no one in the paint or positioning themselves for a good angle for rebounds. Never saw this kind of thing go on when Larry was here and we were one of the better rebounding teams in the nation. And by the way, we won a lot of games.

2 years....otherwise we were an average team like we are now...