RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly to visit on May 3

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
No need to rehash the potential negatives given the first 9 pages of the thread, but positives: a knack for rebounding tends to translate across all levels, as does the ability to get to the line and, most importantly, MAKE free throws.
We obviously don't have a ton of film to review, but FT% tends to be a better indication of shooting potential than FG or 3pt percentages, which could be artificially decreased (or increased) based on situation, e.g. a high-usage player on a bad team. I don't know if he'll shoot threes here, but raw numbers could indicate that, as the #3 or 4 scoring option, he has potential to be very successful. Certainly could bust, too, but his floor seems like providing some decent bench minutes.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think Beverly is legit but people are disappointed cuz they were expecting Juiston. THey all need to get over it and stop complaining about a future Cyclone.
Legit what? Rotation guy for a team returning only 12 starts at the position and three players total, sure. If that's your measure of success, drink the Koolaid and you'll be immune to the more discerning opinions.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Legit what? Rotation guy for a team returning only 12 starts at the position and three players total, sure. If that's your measure of success, drink the Koolaid and you'll be immune to the more discerning opinions.
What are you suggesting that the staff do for 17-18 then? They missed on their top guys. Next man up.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
He's SF height, strong enough to play football and bump around in the paint, and looks like he has some nice post moves and can make a 3. He does not look very quick or athletic. My main fears would include that lack of athleticism, and not sure he would have played much against talented 6'8+ defenders.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He's SF height, strong enough to play football and bump around in the paint, and looks like he has some nice post moves and can make a 3. He does not look very quick or athletic. My main fears would include that lack of athleticism, and not sure he would have played much against talented 6'8+ defenders.

Yeah, it's the lack of athleticism that will be the biggest issue. Offensively, it's true that he doesn't play above the rim, his leaping ability doesn't look very good, but neither did Niang. Defensively, if he has slow feet, that's a big problem as well. However, our options at this point are somewhat limited, so you might have to take a chance on him and hope for the best.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, it's the lack of athleticism that will be the biggest issue. Offensively, it's true that he doesn't play above the rim, his leaping ability doesn't look very good, but neither did Niang. Defensively, if he has slow feet, that's a big problem as well. However, our options at this point are somewhat limited, so you might have to take a chance on him and hope for the best.
Agree. I think we take him. We have plenty of guard types, but fewer of his type.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think Beverly would be a fine addition at this point. Sure, more height and better FG% would be cool, but he looks like a good scrapper with some solid inside moves and his per-40 numbers are 23.5/8.7.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

How do you know his athleticism? Honest question. You would think he would have to be athletic to play college football

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
He kind of reminds me of Jordan Caroline from Nevada. Not expecting Caroline type numbers, but their body types and style of play are really similar. Like some have already said, hopefully the lower usage will lead to better efficiency on the offensive end.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Calm down

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron