RECRUITING: Khaliel Rodgers commits

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Not saying that this isn't a huge get but curious how people could think this is bigger than getting two JC DTs when we would only have 4 DTs on the team, 1 senior, a soph, fresh(r), and a freshman. Not to mention our weakness last year was the DL stopping the run up the middle and the returning players were backups.
I hear you, but let me play devil's advocate...everyone said the Cowboys were dumb for drafting Zeke because they could plug ANY RB behind that oline and get a 1,000 yard rusher and what they really needed that high in the draft was defense. Jerry's response (he won't admit it was part luck) was that they were improving the defense by controlling the ball on offense. My point is, and only time will tell, the defensive line can improve without adding a player if the offense gets an extra 1-2 first downs per game.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I hear you, but let me play devil's advocate...everyone said the Cowboys were dumb for drafting Zeke because they could plug ANY RB behind that oline and get a 1,000 yard rusher and what they really needed that high in the draft was defense. Jerry's response (he won't admit it was part luck) was that they were improving the defense by controlling the ball on offense. My point is, and only time will tell, the defensive line can improve without adding a player if the offense gets an extra 1-2 first downs per game.
This is a great point. Sure, we need a functional defense but our offenses ability to sustain long scoring drives will be the recipe for success for our program or basically the K- State model. We don't play in the B1G, teams are going to score a lot of points, so a good offense is an absolute necessity in the Big 12.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Love the Dawson and Rodgers adds!!! With this in mind does everyone think we are out of running with Thayer Munford? I know the crystal balls are all pointing to OSU, but according to all the recruiting sites they have not even offered, is there anyway we sneak on in, or are we set with OL recruiting for '17 now?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The best part for him might be that he can come here and keep the same uniform. Just get him an I-State helmet sticker and he's all set!

He will definitely have a surplus of cardinal and gold gear available. He should have all the short sleeve and long sleeve undershirts already.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
He will definitely have a surplus of cardinal and gold gear available. He should have all the short sleeve and long sleeve undershirts already.

Obviously the reason we got him. Wardrobe convenience. ;)

i3BDF5.gif

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Even if he just provides depth it is a good thing because they need help on the oline next year.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Uh . . . why is it a defense vs. offense thing? We got two JC DTs, we got two OL grad transfers. Gotta be as good as we can be on both sides of the line.

The obverse of an OL sustaining drives and keeping the defense off the field is a DL stopping the foe's offense and handing the ball over to our offense to create time of possession advantage and scoring opportunities.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
There is something to be said about giving your defense breaks and good field position to work with no doubt...however, Baylor last year we had to watch a game winning 75ish yard game winning drive that was 95% runs up the middle. We only bring back the back ups from that game and didn't really have anything behind them.

Some of it might also be that I feel like we have some decent talent already on the O line. This really helps with the depth. Without these two transfers we would be similar to the past when we would have a decent starting 5, but the back ups were not big 12 ready. With this addition, I think we will have a back up that is big 12 ready at every position. a couple will be wait and see, but all signs are pointing towards them being ready. We would really only need 1 more guy to be ready (preferably a T) and we should feel pretty good about the depth

Tackle- Campos, Foster, JGJ
Guard- Dawson, Rodgers, Meeker, Oge
Center- Rodgers, JGJ

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
He just graduated? They must be on trimesters or something.

I could be wrong on this, but I think he announced his intention to transfer even though he still had to take classes at USC. He hasn't graduated yet. That's how most grad transfers work. They still need to finish the semester and graduate.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron