RECRUITING: Khaliel Rodgers flips to UNC

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I guess he probably has a pretty good reason. Besides, with the "ie" between the "L's" and the d in the last name his name was harder to spell than it needed be.

• Useful
Reactions: khardbored

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Gene-Chizik.jpg

Prosecution rests
Chiz'd again

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Almost certain that grad transfers don't sign letters of intent.
If I recall they sign financial aid agreements and that will block them from signing within the conference.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This really hurts, but if it's best for the kid, then who's to complain IMO. Good luck to him and his future.

The truth though is that he was not a long term help for this program anyway. He was a 1 year band aid. And who's to say he even would start next fall anyway. Obviously he would have given us some needed depth, but we have some decent guys already on the roster that have played a year under Campbell already and know the offense better than Rodgers, so I'm not convinced he was an automatic starter.

It would hurt the program worse to lose a promising young newcomer on the OL that has 4 years ahead of them as a Cyclone IMO.

• Creative
Reactions: AdamJGray

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This hurts no matter how you look at it. We need quality depth regardless of his starting status next fall. This will probably be a normal thing until we can win more than 7 games in a season.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This hurts no matter how you look at it. We need quality depth regardless of his starting status next fall. This will probably be a normal thing until we can win more than 7 games in a season.

This is the risk of taking a grad transfer. It has worked pretty good for ISU in Basketball, not so much in FB. If the prior staff hadn't had so much trouble recruiting and developing HS players, the team would not be in this situation. The previous staff also had really bad luck with injuries.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
This really hurts, but if it's best for the kid, then who's to complain IMO. Good luck to him and his future.

The truth though is that he was not a long term help for this program anyway. He was a 1 year band aid. And who's to say he even would start next fall anyway. Obviously he would have given us some needed depth, but we have some decent guys already on the roster that have played a year under Campbell already and know the offense better than Rodgers, so I'm not convinced he was an automatic starter.

It would hurt the program worse to lose a promising young newcomer on the OL that has 4 years ahead of them as a Cyclone IMO.

This kid is a beast who started at USC..he was an instant starter Day 1. He will start at UNC..

Aside from that I get what you are saying and agree about long term..

cyclonebillski

Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
We had 3 grad transfers last yr and Bobek was arguably our best lineman, but all anyone remembers is Catalina backed out. This sucks, but we'll be fine. Staff will probably pull another one out of left field

Reactions: isutrevman

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Wow, I would have never seen him leaving ISU as a huge win in the end. We got someone that loves ISU and might be just as good instead. Haven't been this lucky since Creighton hired McDermont so we didn't have to buy him out.

CPR used to say it's not the players you don't get that hurt you, its the ones you do get that fail to perform.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Holy ****. Didn't really follow recruting back then but wow. That's a lot of misses

I believe there was a lot of hype for that class too. Injuries and plain stupidity out of some of those guys really hurt that group. Besides the obvious recruiting misses.

• Optimistic
Reactions: casey1973

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Holy ****. Didn't really follow recruting back then but wow. That's a lot of misses

Sports Radio here in Omaha often has a segment called "Hits, Misses and Guys." They evaluate past recruiting classes. You have to define the three categories, but I think for ISU we could say a "hit" is someone who starts at least maybe 24 games. A "guy" is someone who stays and at least contributes in a significant way, maybe starts during his Senior year, someone like Kane Seely maybe. Everyone else is a miss. It would be fun to go over our classes and rate them, but yeah, that 2012 class was more misses than anything else.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
No clue if Sleazik is still there but anything bad happening to UNC is always okay with me!