RECRUITING: Morrow sets visit, Juiston visit info

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Bowie, yes. Burton was a force and we won't get another player to fill his role outside of Jaustin I don't think.
Even then it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison, the same way Burton was to Niang

Nobody to replace Burton outside of Juiston? I wouldn't go that far. Obviously, Prohm and staff are casting a wide net. I see the slow process of picking recruits a good thing not bad. I'd rather have a good player who fits the program and really wants to be here opposed to one that doesn't. That's yet to be determined. Good teams are all about chemistry. Between Wigginton, Lewis, and McNeill I'd say we are on the right track.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Nobody to replace Burton outside of Juiston? I wouldn't go that far. Obviously, Prohm and staff are casting a wide net. I see the slow process of picking recruits a good thing not bad. I'd rather have a good player who fits the program and really wants to be here opposed to one that doesn't. That's yet to be determined. Good teams are all about chemistry. Between Wigginton, Lewis, and McNeill I'd say we are on the right track.
I got ripped for not really want Brown from NM, but I don't think he fits what we do here at ISU and wouldn't benefit the growth of everyone else long term. Chemistry is super important in ball, but a lot on here just want someone that can score 18+ while shooting 38% from the field.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I got ripped for not really want Brown from NM, but I don't think he fits what we do here at ISU and wouldn't benefit the growth of everyone else long term. Chemistry is super important in ball, but a lot on here just want someone that can score 18+ while shooting 38% from the field.

Having a better supporting cast and not having to be the guy helps your percentage.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I sure hope nobody thinks Juiston is a replacement for Burton. He's not. We won't have a replacement for Burton on our roster next year, I can guarantee you that. There aren't many players in the country with Burton's game, not that he's the greatest player in the country, but he's just a very unique combination of skills.

Juiston will be more of a replacement for a Bowie type player. Rebound, play physical, mostly inside game, etc. Not a ton of offensive skills. Definitely a HUGE need for us, but not as a replacement for Burton.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I sure hope nobody thinks Juiston is a replacement for Burton. He's not. We won't have a replacement for Burton on our roster next year, I can guarantee you that. There aren't many players in the country with Burton's game, not that he's the greatest player in the country, but he's just a very unique combination of skills.

Juiston will be more of a replacement for a Bowie type player. Rebound, play physical, mostly inside game, etc. Not a ton of offensive skills. Definitely a HUGE need for us, but not as a replacement for Burton.
I understand what you're saying, but there's already some revisionist history going on with Burton around here. Believe me, I loved the guy as much as anyone, but to say he isn't replaceable is going a little far.

He was a big time player, in some big time games, but he laid some serious eggs as well, and unfortunately, I think he was just beginning to scratch the surface of his bball potential.

IF we land Juiston, there's no doubt next year's team will look way different than last year, probably will anyway, but I do think Juiston can provide more consistency, given he plays as well as we think he can.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I understand what you're saying, but there's already some revisionist history going on with Burton around here. Believe me, I loved the guy as much as anyone, but to say he isn't replaceable is going a little far.

He was a big time player, in some big time games, but he laid some serious eggs as well, and unfortunately, I think he was just beginning to scratch the surface of his bball potential.

IF we land Juiston, there's no doubt next year's team will look way different than last year, probably will anyway, but I do think Juiston can provide more consistency, given he plays as well as we think he can.

Burton had a LOT of weaknesses to his game, I totally agree with that. He'd drive me nuts at times in most games this season. I wasn't trying to say he was this top 20 college player last year, he wasn't. But he does have a combination of skills that is very unique. He's a completely different player than Juiston IMO.

For example, people likely won't even guard Juiston out behind the 3 arc, but you had to guard Burton out there. Burton had an unbelievable array of offensive skills, but not the best defender in the world and should have been a better rebounder too probably.

Juiston does not have an amazing array of offensive skills at all. He's more of a junkyard dog inside type player, which is great, and something we need. He's 3 inches taller than Burton. He's not a flashy player like Burton. As I said, he's really a much better version of Bowie IMO.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We go through this every year. No replacing White, Kane, Niang, Morris, Burton, and so on. But you don't have to. Teams across the country(including us) are good without those types of players. They will be replaced, with different skill sets.

We've done with without Ejim/Hogue types too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We go through this every year. No replacing White, Kane, Niang, Morris, Burton, and so on. But you don't have to. Teams across the country(including us) are good without those types of players. They will be replaced, with different skill sets.

We've done with without Ejim/Hogue types too.

Correct. You don't have to replace anyone. You can be just as good of a team, or even better, with just a bit different looking team with different skills. It's not a big deal.

I just get a little frustrated with anyone saying they expect Juiston to come in and be our Deonte Burton next year. Not going to happen. Completely different players with different skills. It doesn't mean we won't be as good, or Juiston won't be as effective as Burton, etc.... we'll just have a different look to our team, which can be a good thing. IMO, Burton had the ball in his hands a bit too much at times and it hurt us at times.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Give the not wanting Brown stuff a rest my goodness. He is an incredible player being pursued heavily by three top 20 caliber programs for a reason. He'd be a game changer for us next year. Prohm loves guards who can fill it up. DJack and Brown would be an incredible 1-2 punch for us next year. It'd take a ton of pressure of the freshman Wigginton as well.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy and siklon

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Nader shot 33% from the field at NIU. Shotmaking is a skill. Your chemistry will suck if you don't have guys that can get shots.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
The silver lining if we miss on Juiston is we are that much more of an attractive landing spot for Morrow. I personally still think were still in a good spot for both.

2018/2019 is our year to make a splash in all likelihood. Shayok becomes eligible. Hopefully Morrow as well. Those are two big time players.

Don't forget we have a trip scheduled for the Maui tourny that year and Des Moines is hosting the NCAA tournament. That'll be extremely attractive for a top tier grad transfer or who knows maybe a five star caliber recruit.

Critical however to get Juiston or Morrow if not both.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Correct. You don't have to replace anyone. You can be just as good of a team, or even better, with just a bit different looking team with different skills. It's not a big deal.

I just get a little frustrated with anyone saying they expect Juiston to come in and be our Deonte Burton next year. Not going to happen. Completely different players with different skills. It doesn't mean we won't be as good, or Juiston won't be as effective as Burton, etc.... we'll just have a different look to our team, which can be a good thing. IMO, Burton had the ball in his hands a bit too much at times and it hurt us at times.

In the game of recruiting we obviously win some and we lose some. We lost Garrison Brooks. Which ISU player was originally pounded by Brooks and Mississippi State to come play for them? Who did Brooks want to play with most? His name is Cameron Lard. Maybe we already have our replacement if some dare call it that.

There's one thing I've learned about Prohm the last two years. Never underestimate that man. Just when everyone doubts his recruiting or the NCAA tourneys he somehow pulls us through. He'll do it again.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Saw Prohm driving and I think Morrow with him at a hotel in west Ames last night around 7. Looked like he was enjoying himself.

DISCLAIMER: I totally made up the second part

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Seems odd that if we land MOrrow that we will have landed 2 solid transfers for 2018..but when it comes to 2017 when a grad transfer is basically assured a starting spot we cant land one.