RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Would you say Dave Rice ran a pro-style offense?
The coach of ISU's alleged "pro style offense" moved to the pros and has finished 21st and 23rd in points per game.

This thread delivers big time. This poor UNLV fan thinks anyone here is actually interested in his opinions. The only way people read his logical, informed posts is if they contain an admission that he personally delivered the hookers, coke and cash to Juiston. Poor fella. Save yourself and get out while you can!

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The coach of ISU's alleged "pro style offense" moved to the pros and has finished 21st and 23rd in points per game.

This thread delivers big time. This poor UNLV fan thinks anyone here is actually interested in his opinions. The only way people read his logical, informed posts is if they contain an admission that he personally delivered the hookers, coke and cash to Juiston. Poor fella. Save yourself and get out while you can!

You are an idiot. No offense.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Hey there...just checking in, and thinking a little clarification might help.

When Lon Kruger left 6 years ago, ranked UNLV was averaging 15,000 - 16,000 per game, yes butts in seats. Then Rice took over, and although a nice guy with a great knowledge of basketball, couldn't coach, and couldn't get his team to listen to him. Over the next 5 years attendance dropped as it became obvious he couldn't do what he needed to do. When Menzies took over late last spring 2 scholarship players remained, only one of whom had seen the court the year before, and his best returning player was lost for the year early in the season. Attendance fell to a new low this last year during the worst season in program history, in great part due to the former AD totally screwing up the coaching search. She is now gone. UNLV's attendance will come back up quickly, and the Thomas and Mack will be rocking, as it did when your team coached by Hoiberg found a few years ago. As did #5 Oregon a year ago at the MGM, #3 Arizona a couple of years ago, and #1 North Carolina at the MGM a few years before that.

It sounds like y'all think UNLV could only get players because of hookers, blow, and $$$? Maybe it might have something to do with this from Brandon McCoy:

“Las Vegas is the mecca of everything,” McCoy said, “and I wanted to start something new. Everybody else is going to these big-name schools, but I know UNLV has a great history. UNLV used to be the No. 1 team in the late ‘80s and ‘90s, so I’m thinking maybe we could bring it back. Maybe I can be that missing piece to help UNLV get back to being that kind of team.”

Kids are here for AAU tournaments all year round, they see USA basketball, NBA summer league, LeBron runs a camp here, they see that NBA scouts are here a LOT. They also see things like this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-West-Conference/22/UNLV/212/nba-players

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-12-Conference/3/Iowa-State/53/nba-players

And Patrick McCaw, a rookie starting in the playoffs for the Golden State Warriors, came to UNLV because his mom and dad were engaged on the steps of the T&M back in the day...there is still a brand for UNLV.

As for why Juiston or McCoy would pick UNLV? The new coach Marvin Menzies, who took over a 2 player team, has a reputation for developing and getting bigs into the league. I realize nobody saw Dembele at the beginning of last season, but that kid was so raw he couldn't catch the ball, thin as a rail, but his progression was actually pretty amazing. It would have been an ideal year for him to redshirt so that he had a chance to catch up a bit, but the rebels didn't have that luxury last year. His improvement during this last year was like night and day, whether his cumulative numbers show it or not. And McCoy's long time guardian has been good friends with Marvin Menzies for many years. McCoy's signing had a lot to do with Amauri Hardy doing the same.

“When I was on my visit, I got in contact with Brandon and asked him how he was feeling about the school,” Hardy said. “I said, ‘If it works out for you, I’d definitely consider it.’ And it happened.”

It's possible there was some communication with Juiston, as well.

We have yet to see what Marvin Menzies will be able to do with some talent, as the Rebs had several players last year (his only year at UNLV) that normally would not be playing D1. But I have to admire MM in that he did not let the one 4* player that he had dictate how he was going to run his team, benched him for most of the season, (something Dave Rice never could learn) and actually suggested he move on a month ago.

Will it pay off? We'll find out soon enough, but just because players decide to go to UNLV instead of Iowa St doesn't mean it's all because of hookers, blow, and $$$. I was born and raised in Las Vegas, love it, and will eventually retire there, so much always going on that does NOT relate to hookers, blow, and $$$.

Good luck with the rest of your recruiting, it sounds like there are some good young players in the mix. I'd love to see you back in the T&M again soon!

You do realize Vaughn went to UNLV because he handler got paid right? That and the fact you guys have sucked lately is why everyone is skeptical

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Hey there...just checking in, and thinking a little clarification might help.

When Lon Kruger left 6 years ago, ranked UNLV was averaging 15,000 - 16,000 per game, yes butts in seats. Then Rice took over, and although a nice guy with a great knowledge of basketball, couldn't coach, and couldn't get his team to listen to him. Over the next 5 years attendance dropped as it became obvious he couldn't do what he needed to do. When Menzies took over late last spring 2 scholarship players remained, only one of whom had seen the court the year before, and his best returning player was lost for the year early in the season. Attendance fell to a new low this last year during the worst season in program history, in great part due to the former AD totally screwing up the coaching search. She is now gone. UNLV's attendance will come back up quickly, and the Thomas and Mack will be rocking, as it did when your team coached by Hoiberg found a few years ago. As did #5 Oregon a year ago at the MGM, #3 Arizona a couple of years ago, and #1 North Carolina at the MGM a few years before that.

It sounds like y'all think UNLV could only get players because of hookers, blow, and $$$? Maybe it might have something to do with this from Brandon McCoy:

“Las Vegas is the mecca of everything,” McCoy said, “and I wanted to start something new. Everybody else is going to these big-name schools, but I know UNLV has a great history. UNLV used to be the No. 1 team in the late ‘80s and ‘90s, so I’m thinking maybe we could bring it back. Maybe I can be that missing piece to help UNLV get back to being that kind of team.”

Kids are here for AAU tournaments all year round, they see USA basketball, NBA summer league, LeBron runs a camp here, they see that NBA scouts are here a LOT. They also see things like this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-West-Conference/22/UNLV/212/nba-players

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-12-Conference/3/Iowa-State/53/nba-players

And Patrick McCaw, a rookie starting in the playoffs for the Golden State Warriors, came to UNLV because his mom and dad were engaged on the steps of the T&M back in the day...there is still a brand for UNLV.

As for why Juiston or McCoy would pick UNLV? The new coach Marvin Menzies, who took over a 2 player team, has a reputation for developing and getting bigs into the league. I realize nobody saw Dembele at the beginning of last season, but that kid was so raw he couldn't catch the ball, thin as a rail, but his progression was actually pretty amazing. It would have been an ideal year for him to redshirt so that he had a chance to catch up a bit, but the rebels didn't have that luxury last year. His improvement during this last year was like night and day, whether his cumulative numbers show it or not. And McCoy's long time guardian has been good friends with Marvin Menzies for many years. McCoy's signing had a lot to do with Amauri Hardy doing the same.

“When I was on my visit, I got in contact with Brandon and asked him how he was feeling about the school,” Hardy said. “I said, ‘If it works out for you, I’d definitely consider it.’ And it happened.”

It's possible there was some communication with Juiston, as well.

We have yet to see what Marvin Menzies will be able to do with some talent, as the Rebs had several players last year (his only year at UNLV) that normally would not be playing D1. But I have to admire MM in that he did not let the one 4* player that he had dictate how he was going to run his team, benched him for most of the season, (something Dave Rice never could learn) and actually suggested he move on a month ago.

Will it pay off? We'll find out soon enough, but just because players decide to go to UNLV instead of Iowa St doesn't mean it's all because of hookers, blow, and $$$. I was born and raised in Las Vegas, love it, and will eventually retire there, so much always going on that does NOT relate to hookers, blow, and $$$.

Good luck with the rest of your recruiting, it sounds like there are some good young players in the mix. I'd love to see you back in the T&M again soon!

you do realize that one of coach Calhouns assistant coaches is on the UNLV staff don't you. Do you also realize UConn was cheating like crazy under Calhoun. And Juistons AAU coach used to shuttle a lot of kids to UConn. Well that same AAU coach did the same with this time with his former partner in crime. Not saying they cheated for Juiston, but clearly there is history of those two working together before was trouble as UConn actually was punished for their recruiting violations.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Hey Friend!

Reactions: isutrevman

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
you made that big post which included a lot of great things about UNLVs past. But, when they had their best success, they cheated. How do you expect anyone to respect that?

http://www.esquire.com/sports/a5694/college-basketball-history-2009/
UNLV was placed on probation for recruitment of Lloyd Daniels who never played a game for UNLV. UNLV best success didn't stem from Lloyd Daniels. Nice try.

You guys want to bring up your recent recruiting violations? http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ases/iowa-state-commits-recruiting-violations

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
You do realize Vaughn went to UNLV because he handler got paid right? That and the fact you guys have sucked lately is why everyone is skeptical

You do realize that Vaughn played at Findlay Prep in Las Vegas, right?
And yes, we HAVE sucked lately, it's been a couple of tough years, for sure. Hopefully that changes soon and we at least get back to where we were before Rice became our coach. That really hurt us over the last few years.

• Funny

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
And yes, we HAVE sucked lately, it's been a couple of tough years, for sure. Hopefully that changes soon and we at least get back to where we were before Rice became our coach. That really hurt us over the last few years.
You do realize that's how Vaughn got paid right?

• Winner

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
UNLV was placed on probation for recruitment of Lloyd Daniels who never played a game for UNLV. UNLV best success didn't stem from Lloyd Daniels. Nice try.

You guys want to bring up your recent recruiting violations? http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ases/iowa-state-commits-recruiting-violations

I don't know the Lloyd Daniels situation, so I cannot speak on it, but those recruiting violations happened within the first year of Fred's tenure, and the moment he realized that there had been illegal contact the program did this:
  • A reduction in official visits by 20 percent from the previous four-year average for the 2011-12 academic year for men’s basketball program (self-imposed by the university)
  • A reduction of the number of recruiting opportunities by one for all men’s basketball prospects during the 2011-12 academic year (self-imposed by the university).
  • The university stopped recruiting all prospects with whom the men’s basketball student assistant coach had impermissible telephone or text contact (self-imposed by the university).
Again, Idk the UNLV situation, but I would hope if there is ever any violations within a schools program, it gets handled as well as we handled it. Because it didn't slow us much from that point on.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Yes and I know his handler got paid which could be giving to Vaughn because he had a prior relationship to him before recruiting started

Reactions: rholtgraves

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
NCAA was investigating UNLV very early on in the 70's and that was what Tark originally got in trouble for but he got off and UNLV didn't end up getting punished because he successfully won a due process argument in court.
Tark was under suspicion pretty much his entire career. The Lloyd Daniels thing was just proof that there was stuff going on behind the scenes. and then when the photo came out of the guys hanging out with the same 'booster' that paid Daniels, Tark was forced to leave. So you are telling me this booster only played one player to go to UNLV? Even John Wooden thought Tark was dirty and that's saying something.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

Why are you even here? This thread doesn't concern you or your team at all.

At least Hoiberg took on the challenge of going to the NBA, unlike your coach. He could have probably done the same as Self and comfortably stay a successful college basketball coach for 30+ years, but some people are not afraid of taking on a new challenge. In the end, if you believe coaching at the NCAA level and coaching at the NBA level are the same thing, you are clearly dumber than I thought.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
NCAA was investigating UNLV very early on in the 70's and that was what Tark originally got in trouble for but he got off and UNLV didn't end up getting punished because he successfully won a due process argument in court.
Tark was under suspicion pretty much his entire career. The Lloyd Daniels thing was just proof that there was stuff going on behind the scenes. and then when the photo came out of the guys hanging out with the same 'booster' that paid Daniels, Tark was forced to leave. So you are telling me this booster only played one player to go to UNLV? Even John Wooden thought Tark was dirty and that's saying something.
Tark was certainly dirty, but Johnny Dub's wasn't a saint either.

Stereotype

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2017
Thats what I posted about above. This is a different coach not Coach Dave Rice and assistants Stacey Augmon, Ryan Miller and Todd Simon.
Have you ever thought maybe a good basketball program at UNLV just isn't in the cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron