RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hey there...just checking in, and thinking a little clarification might help.

When Lon Kruger left 6 years ago, ranked UNLV was averaging 15,000 - 16,000 per game, yes butts in seats. Then Rice took over, and although a nice guy with a great knowledge of basketball, couldn't coach, and couldn't get his team to listen to him. Over the next 5 years attendance dropped as it became obvious he couldn't do what he needed to do. When Menzies took over late last spring 2 scholarship players remained, only one of whom had seen the court the year before, and his best returning player was lost for the year early in the season. Attendance fell to a new low this last year during the worst season in program history, in great part due to the former AD totally screwing up the coaching search. She is now gone. UNLV's attendance will come back up quickly, and the Thomas and Mack will be rocking, as it did when your team coached by Hoiberg found a few years ago. As did #5 Oregon a year ago at the MGM, #3 Arizona a couple of years ago, and #1 North Carolina at the MGM a few years before that.

It sounds like y'all think UNLV could only get players because of hookers, blow, and $$$? Maybe it might have something to do with this from Brandon McCoy:

“Las Vegas is the mecca of everything,” McCoy said, “and I wanted to start something new. Everybody else is going to these big-name schools, but I know UNLV has a great history. UNLV used to be the No. 1 team in the late ‘80s and ‘90s, so I’m thinking maybe we could bring it back. Maybe I can be that missing piece to help UNLV get back to being that kind of team.”

Kids are here for AAU tournaments all year round, they see USA basketball, NBA summer league, LeBron runs a camp here, they see that NBA scouts are here a LOT. They also see things like this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-West-Conference/22/UNLV/212/nba-players

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-12-Conference/3/Iowa-State/53/nba-players

And Patrick McCaw, a rookie starting in the playoffs for the Golden State Warriors, came to UNLV because his mom and dad were engaged on the steps of the T&M back in the day...there is still a brand for UNLV.

As for why Juiston or McCoy would pick UNLV? The new coach Marvin Menzies, who took over a 2 player team, has a reputation for developing and getting bigs into the league. I realize nobody saw Dembele at the beginning of last season, but that kid was so raw he couldn't catch the ball, thin as a rail, but his progression was actually pretty amazing. It would have been an ideal year for him to redshirt so that he had a chance to catch up a bit, but the rebels didn't have that luxury last year. His improvement during this last year was like night and day, whether his cumulative numbers show it or not. And McCoy's long time guardian has been good friends with Marvin Menzies for many years. McCoy's signing had a lot to do with Amauri Hardy doing the same.

“When I was on my visit, I got in contact with Brandon and asked him how he was feeling about the school,” Hardy said. “I said, ‘If it works out for you, I’d definitely consider it.’ And it happened.”

It's possible there was some communication with Juiston, as well.

We have yet to see what Marvin Menzies will be able to do with some talent, as the Rebs had several players last year (his only year at UNLV) that normally would not be playing D1. But I have to admire MM in that he did not let the one 4* player that he had dictate how he was going to run his team, benched him for most of the season, (something Dave Rice never could learn) and actually suggested he move on a month ago.

Will it pay off? We'll find out soon enough, but just because players decide to go to UNLV instead of Iowa St doesn't mean it's all because of hookers, blow, and $$$. I was born and raised in Las Vegas, love it, and will eventually retire there, so much always going on that does NOT relate to hookers, blow, and $$$.

Good luck with the rest of your recruiting, it sounds like there are some good young players in the mix. I'd love to see you back in the T&M again soon!
I usually hate the tldr responses, but I read a pageful of that and scrolled down to learn that there was at least a page more.

Too long, didn't finish.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I usually hate the tldr responses, but I read a pageful of that and scrolled down to learn that there was at least a page more.

Too long, didn't finish.
Need to make a meme with the aliens guy:

I'm not saying it was hookers and blow,

but it was hookers and blow.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's sucks. Dave Rice was a member of the 1990 Championship team and him being able to secure high level recruits and not produce in win column was bad. There were many other factors that contributed to inability to win including poor coaching, dealing with player egos, untimely injuries and high amount of transfers.

Dave Rice could have probably pulled it off as his recruiting class prior to being fired would have paid massive dividends. But boosters got tired of losing and lost confidence.

So yeah it sucked. We have high hopes Menzies can bring in the recruits and coach.

Kudos to you for coming on and not trolling or acting like a jerk. Obviously you're going to get a lot of disagreement out of the peanut gallery, but we appreciate that you're giving the other side of the argument in a decent way.

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
You can turn this into a referendum on the Tark days however my original post stands. UNLV has a lot to offer top recruits. Cry and moan about hookers, blow and cash all you want, it doesn't make it true.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Last edited:

Stereotype

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2017
You can turn this into a referendum on the Tark days however my original post stands. UNLV has a lot to offer top recruits. Cry and moan about hookers, blow and cash all you want, it doesn't make it true.
you'd know about crying and moaning wouldn't you. tbh if I had to watch my team make a mockery of sought after talent and its self year after year i'd be crying too.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

It is mostly just the cash. The hookers and blow are a result of getting the cash.

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: cymac2408 and GTO

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Kudos to you for coming on and not trolling or acting like a jerk. Obviously you're going to get a lot of disagreement out of the peanut gallery, but we appreciate that you're giving the other side of the argument in a decent way.
No, this is the same type of argument as when Baylor fans come here to brag about their program. It sucks for the alumni when their alma mater ***** up, but they can't just come here and act like it's not happening.

Reactions: ComCY

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Time to close the thread and move on. Kid is 6-7 with little to no range. He'll probably play some overseas a few years and come back to the states with either no or a joke of a degree and catch on at Enterprise. Oh well.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Time to close the thread and move on. Kid is 6-7 with little to no range. He'll probably play some overseas a few years and come back to the states with either no or a joke of a degree and catch on at Enterprise. Oh well.
time to close this thread and move on

*but not before i get one last shot in at this kid*

• Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

cat named georges

Apr 16, 2017
Umm, I'm still going with the hypnotist. Wait, maybe it was the amazing restaurants. Does this guy work for the Las Vegas tourism board? Must be concerned that Iowans might not take a trip to Vegas with all the negative press from this board. Now if he'd said something about the weather being better there, I'd buy that today. Stupid snow! Bring on a Brown and Beverly!

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
I appreciate the comment. As I mentioned, I am not trolling you guys, just wanted to provide a different perspective about UNLV. Winning or losing recruiting battles doesn't have to be about hookers, blow and cash.

• Friendly
Reactions: srjclone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I appreciate the comment. As I mentioned, I am not trolling you guys, just wanted to provide a different perspective about UNLV. Winning or losing recruiting battles doesn't have to be about hookers, andblow cash.
What fun would that be?

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I appreciate the comment. As I mentioned, I am not trolling you guys, just wanted to provide a different perspective about UNLV. Winning or losing recruiting battles doesn't have to be about hookers, blow and cash.

If I was a UNLV recruit I would hope to get some blow, a hooker, and some cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron