RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
NCAA was investigating UNLV very early on in the 70's and that was what Tark originally got in trouble for but he got off and UNLV didn't end up getting punished because he successfully won a due process argument in court.
Tark was under suspicion pretty much his entire career. The Lloyd Daniels thing was just proof that there was stuff going on behind the scenes. and then when the photo came out of the guys hanging out with the same 'booster' that paid Daniels, Tark was forced to leave. So you are telling me this booster only played one player to go to UNLV? Even John Wooden thought Tark was dirty and that's saying something.

Yes, let's talk about Wooden! Tarkanian drew the wrath of the NCAA while he was at Long Beach by writing a letter in the newspaper suggesting that the NCAA, instead of picking on the little guys for piddly squat, look up the road at John Wooden and UCLA and the major violations they were committing. Of course Wooden hated Tarkanian, he was the only one with enough balls to publicly out him on the crap he was pulling. You didn't mess with Wooden, for God's sake. But you're right, that IS where the NCAA's hate for Tark began, and they tried for years to destroy him, even set up shop on the UNLV campus. And in the end, they couldn't find squat, Tark won, and gained due process for all schools, including yours, in the process. He never would have taken them to court if they had anything on him. He said later he probably wouldn't have written that letter in Long Beach if he knew what grief it was going to cause him.

Was he perfect? Oh hell no, but not one coach was. One of Tark's favorite jokes was that he loved it when kids came from UCLA, they already had cars. But hey, he did run an extra off season practice, lol. And Stacey Augmon was pulled off a plane on the way to the NCAA tournament because a phone call had been made at a hotel and hadn't yet been paid for. THIS kind of stuff is what the NCAA harrassed Tarkanian with.

And btw, it was UNLV's own president who eventually took Tarkanian down, not the NCAA. He absolutely hated Tark's popularity in Vegas, and decided he was going to make UNLV the 'Harvard of the West'. LOL! No lie, he actually said that! Tarkanian finally had enough of the fight, resigned, and then that pres then went on to make a shady deal with Rollie Massimino.

Last edited:

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I appreciate the comment. As I mentioned, I am not trolling you guys, just wanted to provide a different perspective about UNLV. Winning or losing recruiting battles doesn't have to be about hookers, blow and cash.

It doesn't have to be, but there's also no way to actually know 100% it's not the case either.

And with the shady history of UNLV, it's not unheard of to be skeptical.

Reactions: kentkel

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
You can turn this into a referendum on the Tark days however my original post stands. UNLV has a lot to offer top recruits. Cry and moan about hookers, blow and cash all you want, it doesn't make it true.

A friend of mine (who was a long term HS coach in Chicago) asked how my team was doing. I told him about losing out on the No. 1 rated JC player.
The coach (who roots for WI) asked 'to who?'. When I told him UNLV, he just rubbed his thumb and index fingers together. People in the business know.

Last edited:

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Menzies and LaFleur are great salesmen with lots of connections I will give them that.

I'm not a salesman, nor did I stay at a holiday Inn last night, but I imagine handing out cash to the customer/recruit would definitely help.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It doesn't have to be, but there's also no way to actually know 100% it's not the case either.

And with the shady history of UNLV, it's not unheard of to be skeptical.

Why do you have to start with the assumption there are shenanigans? Is it the whole conspiracy thing where the bigger the story, the easier it is to believe?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yes, let's talk about Wooden! Tarkanian drew the wrath of the NCAA while he was at Long Beach by writing a letter in the newspaper suggesting that the NCAA, instead of picking on the little guys for piddly squat, look up the road at John Wooden and UCLA and the major violations they were committing. Of course Wooden hated Tarkanian, he was the only one with enough balls to publicly out him on the crap he was pulling. You didn't mess with Wooden, for God's sake. But you're right, that IS where the NCAA's hate for Tark began, and they tried for years to destroy him, even set up shop on the UNLV campus. And in the end, they couldn't find squat, Tark won, and gained due process for all schools, including yours, in the process. He never would have taken them to court if they had anything on him. He said later he probably wouldn't have written that letter in Long Beach if he knew what grief it was going to cause him.

Was he perfect? Oh hell no, but not one coach was. One of Tark's favorite jokes was that he loved it when kids came from UCLA, they already had cars. But hey, he did run an extra off season practice, lol. And Stacey Augmon was pulled off a plane on the way to the NCAA tournament because a phone call had been made at a hotel and hadn't yet been paid for. THIS kind of stuff is what the NCAA harrassed Tarkanian with.

And btw, it was UNLV's own president who eventually took Tarkanian down, not the NCAA. He absolutely hated Tark's popularity in Vegas, and decided he was going to make UNLV the 'Harvard of the West'. LOL! No lie, he actually said that! Tarkanian finally had enough of the fight, resigned, and then that pres then went on to make a shady deal with Rollie Massimino.

And the Feds got Al Capone for tax evasion. That's how it works. Everyone knows Tark cheated in an epic fashion. He was good enough at it to get away with most of it.

Or you can chew on a towel and pretend he was clean. That's fun, too.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
You can't convince me that these top prospects aren't getting some kind of special benefits at UNLV. And I'm talking about all of the top prospects that have gone there. Not just the ones ISU has been in on.

They haven't been any good for quite some time.

Very, very fishy.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
You can't convince me that these top prospects aren't getting some kind of special benefits at UNLV. And I'm talking about all of the top prospects that have gone there. Not just the ones ISU has been in on.

They haven't been any good for quite some time.

Very, very fishy.

So you can't figure out that the NBA hanging out there has anything to do with it? Or that UNLV has put kids in the league lately?

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
So you can't figure out that the NBA hanging out there has anything to do with it? Or that UNLV has put kids in the league lately?
The kids UNLV have "put into the league," would be in the league regardless of where they went to school.

When was the last time that UNLV played in the NCAA tourney or any other meaningful game? It's baffling.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'll give the UNLV fans a real answer as to why some are annoyed by this.

1. This is the 2nd time ISU has gotten in on a player early and developed a good relationship, only to have UNLV swoop in at the last minute and get him. I know that's the world of recruiting, and although under different circumstances I'm sure Marquette feels that way about us with the success we've had with their former players, but it's still annoying.

2. There have been a bunch of UNLV fans acting like massive tools on social media. The typical 'Ames vs Vegas', Ames sucks, Iowa sucks; it's just lazy and ignorant, much like the hookers and blow statements.

3. The success between the two programs over the past 6 years isn't even close. While I get there is a new coaching staff, UNLV still has the reputation around the college basketball world of doing MUCH LESS with more.

4. With how the whole Vaughn thing going down the way it did with his handler getting a job on the UNLV staff, it rubs a lot of us the wrong way. That on top of the past with Tark and Findlay Prep being run by a UNLV booster, you can see why there is skepticism that everything going on there is legitimate.

In the end, I think we'll be fine. It would have been really nice to get Juiston, but I think this will be good for a guy like Cameron Lard in the long run. Thanks for coming on here and being civil for the most part; not sure I could do the same being attacked on an opponents message board.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I wonder if they suck because of internal team strife?

I mean, who wouldn't ***** if a guy that rides the bench got a bigger "signing bonus" than you? Maybe they have a lot of transfers because they don't renegotiate contracts.

Cyclonefan710

Oct 19, 2012
Why do you have to start with the assumption there are shenanigans? Is it the whole conspiracy thing where the bigger the story, the easier it is to believe?

Ive heard enough stories from people in our athletic department that I will never believe anything about UNLV's recruiting is clean.

• Winner

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Ive heard enough stories from people in our athletic department that I will never believe anything about UNLV's recruiting is clean.

If UNLV is dirty and that's why JS went there, he obviously doesn't fit our program. This is not a loss when you lose a player to a dirty program because the player himself has to be dirty to play that game. We're better off having a dirty player go to a dirty program than having a dirty player in our program.

That's the argument being put forth, right?

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
I'll give the UNLV fans a real answer as to why some are annoyed by this.

1. This is the 2nd time ISU has gotten in on a player early and developed a good relationship, only to have UNLV swoop in at the last minute and get him. I know that's the world of recruiting, and although under different circumstances I'm sure Marquette feels that way about us with the success we've had with their former players, but it's still annoying.

2. There have been a bunch of UNLV fans acting like massive tools on social media. The typical 'Ames vs Vegas', Ames sucks, Iowa sucks; it's just lazy and ignorant, much like the hookers and blow statements.

3. The success between the two programs over the past 6 years isn't even close. While I get there is a new coaching staff, UNLV still has the reputation around the college basketball world of doing MUCH LESS with more.

4. With how the whole Vaughn thing going down the way it did with his handler getting a job on the UNLV staff, it rubs a lot of us the wrong way. That on top of the past with Tark and Findlay Prep being run by a UNLV booster, you can see why there is skepticism that everything going on there is legitimate.

In the end, I think we'll be fine. It would have been really nice to get Juiston, but I think this will be good for a guy like Cameron Lard in the long run. Thanks for coming on here and being civil for the most part; not sure I could do the same being attacked on an opponents message board.

You're right, the two programs have been going opposite directions since we last beat you 5 years ago. It took too long for our AD to move on from Dave Rice, and even 3 or 4 years ago the program was successful enough that none of you would have been able to question why a recruit would want to come to Vegas. But especially after this last year, I'm sure it is hard for many to understand why UNLV would be able to get recruits, and it is too easy to blame Tarkanian, from 25 years ago. No one from that era is even here any more, and Lon Kruger and Dave Rice have been squeaky clean. And speaking of Kruger, he is the one responsible for getting the Mendenhall Center built, and if some of you could see the NBA /USA activity here, you could maybe see that it doesn't have to be hookers, blow, and $$$. But good luck to you all, I hope your team does well in the future, unless we end up competing for the same recruit again. :)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If UNLV is dirty and that's why JS went there, he obviously doesn't fit our program. This is not a loss when you lose a player to a dirty program because the player himself has to be dirty to play that game. We're better off having a dirty player go to a dirty program than having a dirty player in our program.

That's the argument being put forth, right?

The argument has very little to do with JS, but you are too ignorant to acknowledge that. Its simply that people think that UNLV cheats to get the players they do. And I would like to know how they do it. Nothing wrong with thinking that or discussing it on a message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.