Refs Bad- Iowa Declared WBB National Champ

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Yeah refs weren't the difference. I think the Final Four win over that absolutely unbelievable South Carolina team that was considered one of the best ever and hadn't lost a game and was everyone's clear favorite maybe just took too much out of Iowa. That win was pretty legend. Plus the LSU player who came off the bench and made every 3 pointer she put up. That was the other huge factor. CC was still clearly the best player on the floor.
Yeah that South Carolina team was damn good and it was a hell of a win. But they were nowhere near the best team ever. Several UConn teams alone and the Baylor squad that went perfect were easily better than that South Carolina team. Boston was great but Tina Charles would have destroyed her and good luck to anyone guarding Breanna Stewart in college.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Interesting point of view.

But I think we can all agree it was strange that they came out with this report publicly after so many months. Official reviews are generally confidential. Especially when there isn’t any particular plays that they identify as being egregious.
Agree but it sounds like they conduct a review of reffing in the tourney every year, this wasn't something special that Iowa called for, nor for the findings to be made public.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah that South Carolina team was damn good and it was a hell of a win. But they were nowhere near the best team ever. Several UConn teams alone and the Baylor squad that went perfect were easily better than that South Carolina team. Boston was great but Tina Charles would have destroyed her and good luck to anyone guarding Breanna Stewart in college.
Cardoso was the one giving us fits. You can't coach 6'7.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Agree but it sounds like they conduct a review of reffing in the tourney every year, this wasn't something special that Iowa called for, nor for the findings to be made public.

I just love the idea that there was an 8 month review process to evaluate the officiating one, 40 minute game. Was some NCAA staffer pouring over the game tape like it was the Zapruder film or something?

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Agreed. I just find it odd that this is the year it is made public. I have no reason to believe Iowa had anything to do with its release.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeah refs weren't the difference. I think the Final Four win over that absolutely unbelievable South Carolina team that was considered one of the best ever and hadn't lost a game and was everyone's clear favorite maybe just took too much out of Iowa. That win was pretty legend. Plus the LSU player who came off the bench and made every 3 pointer she put up. That was the other huge factor. CC was still clearly the best player on the floor.
Iowa beat South Carolina because South Carolina played the absolute worst that they could possibly play. I really don't mean to take anything away from Iowa. It's to point out the fact that the only way South Carolina was going to lose was to beat themselves.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I just love the idea that there was an 8 month review process to evaluate the officiating one, 40 minute game. Was some NCAA staffer pouring over the game tape like it was the Zapruder film or something?

And the report seems to say they made as many errors or more benefitting the losing team.

I see dozens of games a year just watching big 12 fb/bb that scream more for an officiating investigation than that game did.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Iowa beat South Carolina because South Carolina played the absolute worst that they could possibly play. I really don't mean to take anything away from Iowa. It's to point out the fact that the only way South Carolina was going to lose was to beat themselves.
Disagree. They were the defending national champions and were 31-0 on the season, had been ranked #1 wire to wire last season. That's not a team that's going to not show up and/or beat themselves in the FF. I think Bluder put together an effective gameplan and Iowa just outplayed them.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and cytor

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Disagree. They were the defending national champions and were 31-0 on the season, had been ranked #1 wire to wire last season. That's not a team that's going to not show up and/or beat themselves in the FF. I think Bluder put together an effective gameplan and Iowa just outplayed them.
I'm not totally disagreeing. Iowa did outplay them and Bluder did put together an effective gameplan. However, that was probably the only night of the year that Iowa was going to beat them.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
It states there was an offensive call missed on both teams in 2nd half. LSU had nobody foul out and only one player finish with 4 fouls (Williams who was a starter and scored 20). Iowa finished game with 2 players fouling out Czinano and Warnock. And Clark finished with 4 fouls. So if both of the miseed offensive calls would have been called the potential impact would probably have been much worse for TOE.