Rocky Mountain National Park - Hiking

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That really really sucks. I hope everyone is safe. There’s a lot of random people in cabins out there. Hopefully they didn’t get trapped.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Man, that is frightening. I'm guessing that's taken from the west end of town on the Bus 34? Now that would be a scary thing being stuck in traffic like that. It's not like you're leaving some Iowa town and you just head out a different way, you only have 34 and 36.

Lived in Co Springs for a few years and managed to avoid any forest fires during that time. Shortly after leaving there was a nearby fire and maybe the following spring some massive floods that were pushing cars down the street in Manitou Springs.

Forest fires absolutely terrify me. Probably the only thing that makes me think twice about retiring in CO!

I now see that although it seems like there is a threat of fires getting close to 34 by Drake and 36 by Lyons. Seems like they will stay far enough away until evacuation happens, but extremely scary to think that the two routes out of town to the east are going to also have fires getting close. Having to evacuate is bad enough. Evacuation with some risk of your two routes dangerously close to fires is really scary.

I think I read that 36 was closed d/t this as well so it was just 34.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
My family and I were in Estes last week. Here's a shot of the fire from a hike at RMNP. It was like watching a volcano erupting into the sky. fire 1.jpg

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Here's what it looked like in town. We left early Saturday morning, and you could see the smoke plume heading east over the state. Really amazing and sad. fire 2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Busch__Latte

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
We were there Oct8-11th. Definately a huge change in the fire over the last two weeks, especially the last 2 days. These were looking north from the Alpine visitor center on Oct 8th.

Attachments

• Colorado 2020 018.JPG
    Colorado 2020 018.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Colorado 2020 026.JPG
    Colorado 2020 026.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 9

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I must really love to travel to places that are prone to fires. I've had 4 trips now in the last three years impacted by fires. Glacier NP, Colorado (last year we booked a place a fire swept through around a mile from our stay), Gran Canaria, and about a month ago we booked a place in Estes around Christmas. I love RMNP and hate to see it.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
My mom lives in Ft. Collins and said the ash falling was really bad yesterday. She's typically in RMNP and other hiking areas every weekend and is getting pretty bummed that everything has been closed and skies are smoke-filled and dreary every day. I also have an aunt who was vacationing in Grand Lake and got evacuated. Sure hope the snow comes soon for them!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m headed to Estes Friday. If anyone’s been out there this summer or has any updates on fire damage in the park, any trails that are closed, or how stingy they are with the park passes getting in or any other tips that would be awesome!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I’m headed to Estes Friday. If anyone’s been out there this summer or has any updates on fire damage in the park, any trails that are closed, or how stingy they are with the park passes getting in or any other tips that would be awesome!

Nothing closed due to fires from last year. Make sure you reserve your time to get in the park, they release slots at 6 CT each Saturday for the upcoming week. Get an early (before 11) time slot, lines in afternoon at gates are stupid.

Some fire damage West of 7 Parks corner but not many trails out there. All of the Bear Lake trails in good shape but busy as hell.

Twin Sisters, Lumpy Ridge, Longs Peak Ouzel Falls outside of park all good.

Weather is typical, low 90's 15% chance of rain. Moderate to High fire danger currently. Streams are running a bit better in north front range than rest of state, still some rafting out there to be had. See you on the Poudre if you head that way.

Enjoy!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Here is latest map I could find - I know some of these areas have opened back up - worst is up around Grand Lake if you are going that far

ROMO_Area_Closure_20210706.jpg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nothing closed due to fires from last year. Make sure you reserve your time to get in the park, they release slots at 6 CT each Saturday for the upcoming week. Get an early (before 11) time slot, lines in afternoon at gates are stupid.

Some fire damage West of 7 Parks corner but not many trails out there. All of the Bear Lake trails in good shape but busy as hell.

Twin Sisters, Lumpy Ridge, Longs Peak Ouzel Falls outside of park all good.

Weather is typical, low 90's 15% chance of rain. Moderate to High fire danger currently. Streams are running a bit better in north front range than rest of state, still some rafting out there to be had. See you on the Poudre if you head that way.

Enjoy!
Have you been up to longs this year? Also, is falls river road open for sure? Thinking about doing Longs if it’s not to sketchy up there past the keyhole but would like to do Ypsilion for sure if that road is open to get to the trail head. Haven’t done either of those yet.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Have you been up to longs this year? Also, is falls river road open for sure? Thinking about doing Longs if it’s not to sketchy up there past the keyhole but would like to do Ypsilion for sure if that road is open to get to the trail head. Haven’t done either of those yet.

I went up Longs last week as well as Grays and Torres. Still a little snow up too but nothing to worry about.

If you have never done a 14k mountain, that is not a good one to start with. It’s a pretty difficult mountain. Hit me up if you have any questions. If you climb a lot then nevermind

• Agree
Reactions: inCyteful and JM4CY

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Yes to both. Did Longs 4th of July Weekend and have driven up Old Fall River Road recently. All gtg. Can't speak to Ypsilion trail specifically but you can get to trail head.

Reactions: JM4CY

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Yes to both. Did Longs 4th of July Weekend and have driven up Old Fall River Road recently. All gtg. Can't speak to Ypsilion trail specifically but you can get to trail head.

How much snow did longs have on 4th of July weekend? I was there June 26th and it was pretty much ice since it was melting and refreazing at night. So I avoided it u til this week. Heading back in three weeks and hopefully get a late season push up some.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
How much snow did longs have on 4th of July weekend? I was there June 26th and it was pretty much ice since it was melting and refreazing at night. So I avoided it u til this week. Heading back in three weeks and hopefully get a late season push up some.

Very little but there were patches that we really slowed down on. Bolder field and Keyhole were fine. I think June was pretty cool and it cleared out that last week. I know 2 people that have gone up in last 2 weeks and haven't heard of any issues - other than one got caught in hail.

Reactions: Drew0311

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Heading out for a week next month. Looking forward to another hike to the summit of Flattop Mountain. Cold beer at Rock Cut brewery.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Heading out for a week next month. Looking forward to another hike to the summit of Flattop Mountain. Cold beer at Rock Cut brewery.
Try hiking around the canyon to Hallet when you get up there. It’s a lot of scrambling the last half mile or so but totally worth it.