RV Parking

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
For those of you into the RV lifestyle, is it customary to keep your RVs in storage when they aren't in use?

I just had a new neighbor move in down the street. They have an RV bigger than the house they bought that takes up majority of the driveway and is a complete eyesore. I've talked to a few people in the neighborhood and people are not happy as the houses are extremely close together with small lots.

Do cities have any kind of ordinances that prevent this kind of thing or are we stuck with a new RV park on our street?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Most HOAs would prevent that, but doubt many cities would not allow as long as it's completely on your own property.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Even those van type campers. Neighbor has one parked in their driveway. Sucks when you try and look down the street from your front window and all you see is the side of a Mercedes RV/camper.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
The ordinances in every city are different, and sometimes very from neighborhood to neighborhood. Contact your local city hall or police department and they can direct you where to go.

I do keep my camper parked in my driveway during camping season (mid April until after the last home football game) I also live in a neighborhood where the ratio of cows to people is about 25-1, and my two closest neighbors also have campers. I can keep my camper plugged in that way, keep the refrigerator running, and easier to pack ect. Way safer and a lot more convenient to have it at home.

On that note, if I were to ever move, I would not buy a house where I couldn't keep my camper at home.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The ordinances in every city are different, and sometimes very from neighborhood to neighborhood. Contact your local city hall or police department and they can direct you where to go.

I do keep my camper parked in my driveway during camping season (mid April until after the last home football game) I also live in a neighborhood where the ratio of cows to people is about 25-1, and my two closest neighbors also have campers. I can keep my camper plugged in that way, keep the refrigerator running, and easier to pack ect. Way safer and a lot more convenient to have it at home.

On that note, if I were to ever move, I would not buy a house where I couldn't keep my camper at home.
I understand if you have the space and i know many rural people have bigger lots or specific concrete pads to store them.

This is in a densely packed urban area where the lots are small. I looked it up and I'm pretty sure it's a 30-32 footer, I'm not exaggerating when I say it's bigger than the house. The driveway is 2 cars wide and it takes up most of the driveway and the front is about 3 feet from the street.

My neighbor and I both have boats that we keep in storage at all times and my neighbor across the street has a pull behind camper that he keeps in storage also, so I guess I'm just dumbfounded on why anyone think the neighbors would be completely fine with it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I understand if you have the space and i know many rural people have bigger lots or specific concrete pads to store them.

This is in a densely packed urban area where the lots are small. I looked it up and I'm pretty sure it's a 30-32 footer, I'm not exaggerating when I say it's bigger than the house. The driveway is 2 cars wide and it takes up most of the driveway and the front is about 3 feet from the street.

My neighbor and I both have boats that we keep in storage at all times and my neighbor across the street has a pull behind camper that he keeps in storage also, so I guess I'm just dumbfounded on why anyone think the neighbors would be completely fine with it.
Does it block the sidewalk?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Most HOAs would prevent that, but doubt many cities would not allow as long as it's completely on your own property.

I hate HOA's but this is why they were invented. We have a neighbor with a food truck in their driveway, one that is 'decorated' with very bold colors and paintings.

I'm not sure when they sell food, but it's not very often.

• Wow
Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Does it block the sidewalk?
There is no sidewalk on our street is the problem. It doesn't seem to be blocking anything either, jsut not sure how they plan on getting in and out of their actual car everyday.

I don't know anything about RVs or the culture, but I guess I just assumed people kept them in storage. The only other ones I've seen in Polk County are people storing them on a concrete slab on the side of their house. I've never seen anything like this before.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

If they were hawk fans, it's probably because they can, or they don't care about what anyone else thinks.