S.I.: Wichita State to AAC, early as 2017-18

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Valpo and Murray State are done deals from what I've heard, Valpo starting this year and Murray joining the year after. The league is content with 11 but could add a 12th in the future if somebody really invests. For example, UNO would have to nearly double their budget to get in line with the rest of the Valley (they spend $1.7 Million, UNI spends $3 Million). Milwaukee is interesting from possibilities and market perspective, but their administration is a mess.

Losing Wichita hurts but the Valley should remain a Top 12 RPI league with good years finishing 9th or 10th after the P6, A10 and AAC. The WCC, Mountain West, Valley and CAA are clearly that next tier...

• Informative
Reactions: Tornado man

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This will hurt deep. Wichita State had to be every other MVC team's "marquee game" on their home schedule. UNI for example, had three decent gates this year - reduced ticket price game vs Missouri State, senior day vs Illinois State, and Wichita. And if UNI had been any good this year, their place would have been packed when they hosted the Shockers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Valpo and Murray State are done deals from what I've heard, Valpo starting this year and Murray joining the year after. The league is content with 11 but could add a 12th in the future if somebody really invests. For example, UNO would have to nearly double their budget to get in line with the rest of the Valley (they spend $1.7 Million, UNI spends $3 Million). Milwaukee is interesting from possibilities and market perspective, but their administration is a mess.

Losing Wichita hurts but the Valley should remain a Top 12 RPI league with good years finishing 9th or 10th after the P6, A10 and AAC. The WCC, Mountain West, Valley and CAA are clearly that next tier...
Milwaukee would seem exciting. Don't have any idea about their fan support. Belmont is out?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Milwaukee would seem exciting. Don't have any idea about their fan support. Belmont is out?

Belmont said no for the 2nd time in 4 years. They'd rather go south and east than north and west.

Milwaukee gets big crowds when they're good and spends enough to be middle of the pack in the Valley now. New coach last year and haven't had much success since Bo Ryan and Bruce Pearl's guys graduated. I think they'd be okay.