Scrimmages?

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
I wasn't able to make it to the scrimmages...if you went, can you tell us what you thought?

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I only went to the one on Friday and skipped the Cardinal VS Gold on Saturday. a few short thoughts from Friday.

Started game 1 strong and won easily with the Starters in the game.

Games 2 and 3 were ugly (although we did eek out the win in game 3). It appeared we were experimenting with the rotation and younger kids. Hillegas changed to a white jersey after game 1 and several people rotated thru the Libero spot. Hillegas is still our best Libero so hopefully she returns there this weekend when matches count.

Don't think we would have won the match without Grace Lazard who is clearly our go-to player when a kill is needed. Need a couple other options so teams can't key on her.

Most glaring area that needs work: Serving. only 1 ace and 15 service errors

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you for posting ~ I tried to follow the play-by-play, but that didn't really help, except a little with the scrimmage on Friday.
I did watch the Texas Orange & White scrimmage on TV ~ tall and powerful as usual, but they are young. Micaya White didn't play in the scrimmage, so that took out a huge factor for them. Their new libero is Sydney Petersen from Iowa, who played the entire match and they think will start as a freshman.
I also watched the Kansas/UMKC exhibition on TV. Kansas returns Montero as an outside after her season ending injury, she was their go-to player as the newcomer, Gabby Simpson really struggled. Jada Burse didn't play very much, but I heard through another forum that she was having difficulties with the coaching or something (don't quote me on that though). UMKC put up a great fight and all the sets were very close, they have a great middle blocker.
Just saw online that Oklahoma beat Arkansa pretty soundly in their scrimmage and TCU beat Texas A&M in five sets in that exhibition as well.
So that's all I know ~ can't wait for the season to start!

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonespiker33