Seinfeld interview on Larry King

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Are you kidding? First, Jerry wrote ths show with Larry, he doesnt just show up and read lines. Second, what freakin show in the world is any good if you take away half of the characters? Seriously. By this argument you have to be what, Eddie Murphy and play all of them before you get credit for making the show funny? You don't have to like Seinfeld. Not everyone does, but keep trying to find reasons why nobody else should like him and to say every other hack that made you giggle is better makes you sound like some type of killjoy with a grudge. Seinfeld is funny and one of the most successful comics of all time, learn to live with it.

I love the show Seinfeld. I really don't care for Jerry's character in the show, nor his comedy bits. He may have co-written some of the show, but most of it's endearing characters had nothing to do with him at all. Larry David was the head writer, and executive producer of the show for the first 7 years. Jerry has no individual Emmys from the show, Larry does.

I don't think he's all that funny, and I don't have to learn to live with it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
When Larry David left the show, the show tanked. It was time to end it.

I have seen Seinfeld do his stand-up at the Civic Center and thought it was good stuff.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot???

The show just kept getting better and better towards the end. My favorite episode was from the second to last season. Kenny Rogers Roasters was some of the best TV ever. Other than the last episode, it was getting better and better.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
3 top comics (in my opinion) Not necessarily the best ever, or even the best now, but 3 guys who consistently make me laugh.

Eddie Izzard
Mike Birbiglia
Jim Gaffigan

I was about to reply saying no one tops Eddie Izzard. I cannot tell you how surprised I was to see someone already had him down!

Very knowledgeable, very quick, and still incredibly off the wall. Who else could to whole sets on colonialism and empiricism, the Bible, or Roman mythology and keep it hilarious throughout?

Mitch Hedberg lines up in my two-spot. Obviously a totally distinct sense of humor there.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
See I never though Mitch Hedberg was that funny, he is on XM all the time, and I usually just turn it. I love gaffigan, and Mitch Fatel, craig schoemaker, lewis black, and of course dave attell.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Jerry Seinfeld is a distinctly average comedian, in my opinion. The vast majority of what made Seinfeld a funny show was Larry David. Without him, there's no Kramer, George or Elaine, and you've got a very mediocre show.

totally agree, his standup is nothing short of mediocre. I think Family Guy does it best when they have Jerry come out at a jester and he says something like "whats the deal with New England? It's over 200 years old!!! last time I checked, thats not that new." That's about the jist of his material. Really "heh heh" stuff, NOT LOL material. I liked Seinfeld (liked, not loved) but Jerry by himself doing standup comedy is just nothing compared to the show. Totally agree about Larry David - anyone who knows anything about comedy in showbiz will say he is a genius.

rooster

Apr 11, 2006
Some of my current favorite comedians are the ones from Comedians of Comedy, Dave Attell, Greg Giraldo, Mitch Hedberg (sucks he died) and Demitri Martin. Demitri has some great ones in the vein of Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg.

"I saw a sign that said: Watch for children. I think that's a fair trade."

"My computer beat me at chess. But that's OK,
because I beat him at kick-boxing."

"It's weird how finger puppets sounds OK as a noun."

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
The only comedian I really enjoy that hasn't been mentioned yet is Daniel Tosh. His half hour comedy central presents is great and his "Completely Serious" hour show is amazing.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
My favorites:

Louis CK
Eddie Izzard
Brian Regan
Jim Gaffigan
and Bill Hicks

As far as Seinfeld, I guess I never found him to be particularly clever. Also, he comes across as being really arogant, and I thought he was a total jerk to Larry King. Doesn't Seinfeld realize good interviewers ask questions to which they already know the answer?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
“Comedian Jerry Seinfeld is the world's top earning entertainer,
according to US business magazine Forbes."

This quote was from a few years ago but it still proves how well liked Seinfeld is. While you may not think he is that funny, apparently the rest of the world does.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The show just kept getting better and better towards the end. My favorite episode was from the second to last season. Kenny Rogers Roasters was some of the best TV ever. Other than the last episode, it was getting better and better.

One of my favorite episodes as well. "Mr. Marbles?! Is that you Mr. Marbles?"

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
“Comedian Jerry Seinfeld is the world's top earning entertainer,
according to US business magazine Forbes."

This quote was from a few years ago but it still proves how well liked Seinfeld is. While you may not think he is that funny, apparently the rest of the world does.

The current Forbes 100 has 5 comedians on it. Jerry Seinfeld, George Lopez, Larry the Cable Guy, Dane Cook, and Jeff Foxworthy. In that order. Yeah that's a hilarious pile of funny there.

The VAST majority, if not all, of that money is coming from residuals from Seinfeld, which is only partly his doing, as I've argued above.

It's not necessarily because he's all that funny, he was just part of something that was. Meanwhile, since Seinfeld, he's done pretty much nothing, besides creating a marginally successful animated children's movie. Of course he doesn't have to, if he doesn't want to, but he's certainly not going overboard to spread his incredible funny all over the place.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
As far as Seinfeld, I guess I never found him to be particularly clever. Also, he comes across as being really arogant, and I thought he was a total jerk to Larry King. Doesn't Seinfeld realize good interviewers ask questions to which they already know the answer?

Larry King is notorious for not researching people and just going on his show and reading questions from his notecards, and not really listening to what people said. Larry King at one time was a great interviewer, now I think he's just a name. Kudos for Seinfeld for giving him a hard time, and I liked how Larry King had to go to a break.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
You will lose all credibility if you mention Dane Cook. Unless it's along the lines of "Who in the world thinks this guys is funny?"

I am not into comedians too much but this made me laugh because one of the guys that lives next to me that annoys me to no end won't shut up about Dane Cook.:skeptical:

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I have also enjoyed Ray Romano. Hes not the typical comic, he tends to use more at home material I find funny. Bob Saget is surprisingly funny as well. That guy is dirty! Get a kick out of the old material of Robin Williams as well.

I hated Full House and hated Bob Saget on American's Funniest Videos....saw his stand-up act for the first time, laughed my arse off, he does a great job!!

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I hated Full House and hated Bob Saget on American's Funniest Videos....saw his stand-up act for the first time, laughed my arse off, he does a great job!!

I saw Bob's act on HBO a while back and it was so God awful I felt embarrassed for him.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Pryor, Carlin, Martin, Cosby, Dangerfield, Newhart (highly underrated, IMO), Louis CK (who I was fortunate enough to see last week in Cedar Rapids. Absolutely hilarious), Jonathon Winters, Andy Kaufman, Denis Leary, Billy Connolly, Norm MacDonald, Bob Saget, David Cross, Brian Posehn, Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt Jim Breuer, Dane Cook (his material is kinda garbage, but he's got a great stage presence), Gilbert Gottfried, Lisa Lampanelli etc. etc. etc.

I'd watch any of those guys/girls way WAY before I'd sit down to watch Seinfeld.

George Gobel, Bob Hope, Dean Martin, and George Burns used to be funny, but time passed away. Now it is Larry the Cable Guy.