Seton Hall Flagrant foul - wrong call, or right call rarely made?

Stanton327

Mar 19, 2015
Don't agree with that call, nor the other call I saw in the first round (and I can't remember the teams) in which a player fell down, reached for the ball and touched the "foot" of the shooter.

From hearing the analysis with Barkley, etc.; it was the right call according to the rule book, but common sense has to take a little priority in these situations. In both calls, the defender didn't seem obvious in attempting a play outside the ball. One a trip; one a touch on the feet.

It may be the rules, but both should have been a regular foul with free throws, but not a flagrant foult to boot.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
By the letter of the law it was probably the right call, but he gave him a light push in the back. It definitely wasn't a shove. The Arkansas player either lost his footing or flopped. At that point in the game too that's a...bold call.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
By the letter of the law it was probably the right call, but he gave him a light push in the back. It definitely wasn't a shove. The Arkansas player either lost his footing or flopped. At that point in the game too that's a...bold call.
The Seton Hall player tripped him inadvertently, which also didn't help his case.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Don't agree with that call, nor the other call I saw in the first round (and I can't remember the teams) in which a player fell down, reached for the ball and touched the "foot" of the shooter.

From hearing the analysis with Barkley, etc.; it was the right call according to the rule book, but common sense has to take a little priority in these situations. In both calls, the defender didn't seem obvious in attempting a play outside the ball. One a trip; one a touch on the feet.

It may be the rules, but both should have been a regular foul with free throws, but not a flagrant foult to boot.

So if we are to use common sense why have a rule book. This is the problem today, calls that should be made according to the rule book are not many times and then when they are made people go crazy and complain. IMO if calls were made per the book we would have at least two more wins against a team we only beat once.

Stanton327

Mar 19, 2015
Let me us the word "intentional" instead of common sense. Both fouls were not intentional, and should have never been called as a flagrant foul. Maybe just my opinion, but it seemed pretty obvious to me they were both accidental contact. The "trip" was totally accidental, and a defender touching a guys shoes? Give me a break!! You gotta have some leeway on these calls. I agree with previous posters that if you call these intentional fouls, then every call at the end of a close game should be called the same. Are the ref's not using common sense at this point?

Help Support Us

Become a patron