Shakur Juiston on njcaatv.com tonight

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Yeah, what was up w/ Bragg not playing? Not saying he's been great, but has been in the rotation. As for Juiston's tweets, there were many retweets from KUHoops...not liking that. Hope our staff gets rewarded for all their efforts but he may be KU's to lose.

I don't see any KUHoops retweets?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
If Brady Ernst would have stayed we could have probably made the Final Four this year.

BTW, jimlad (in case it wasn't obvious)

Reactions: Cyclad

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
KU fan's thoughts on Juiston. Hopefully both staffs are mentioning the Burton similarities :)

If you remember the Richard Scott era, Alonzo Jamison is actually a very good comparison to Shakur. About the same size, both look like they could have played D-1 football at tight end or linebacker (Shakur is more ripped, but that's modern strength training), both great on a fast break, both make bullet passes into tight windows that not many players see, both are not the best jump shooters. Shakur is better at driving to the rim from 20-25 feet and at finishing with contact (although Zo could do that) and a more gifted rebounder, and Alonzo was freakish at being able to switch on guys on defense and could guard 1 through 5 at times. Shakur has the tools to be a good defender (good lateral speed, strength, quick hands), but team defense is very different at the Juco level and I don't see him projecting to as good a defender as Zo... but few were or are. Scott Van Pelt just ran a feature on the 1991 KU-UNC Final 4 game, so I have Jamison fresh in my mind.

If you watched Iowa State vs. Purdue and saw how Deonte Burton started driving the ball in the second half, Shakur did that all the time this past season. Shakur doesn't have Burton's outside shot -- at all -- but the ballhandling in the lane and ability to finish by shielding with his strong torso are similar, and his rebounding is better.

Richard Scott was a master of leverages and angles to get post position close to the basket. That's not really Shakur's game -- he's more about moving fast and being stronger and jumping higher to get his shot off (although he does have a baby hook with both hands) or to get putbacks -- it's not Richard Scott's backing his man down with his backside and then the play is over by the time he gets the ball.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
KU fan's thoughts on Juiston. Hopefully both staffs are mentioning the Burton similarities :)

If you remember the Richard Scott era, Alonzo Jamison is actually a very good comparison to Shakur. About the same size, both look like they could have played D-1 football at tight end or linebacker (Shakur is more ripped, but that's modern strength training), both great on a fast break, both make bullet passes into tight windows that not many players see, both are not the best jump shooters. Shakur is better at driving to the rim from 20-25 feet and at finishing with contact (although Zo could do that) and a more gifted rebounder, and Alonzo was freakish at being able to switch on guys on defense and could guard 1 through 5 at times. Shakur has the tools to be a good defender (good lateral speed, strength, quick hands), but team defense is very different at the Juco level and I don't see him projecting to as good a defender as Zo... but few were or are. Scott Van Pelt just ran a feature on the 1991 KU-UNC Final 4 game, so I have Jamison fresh in my mind.

If you watched Iowa State vs. Purdue and saw how Deonte Burton started driving the ball in the second half, Shakur did that all the time this past season. Shakur doesn't have Burton's outside shot -- at all -- but the ballhandling in the lane and ability to finish by shielding with his strong torso are similar, and his rebounding is better.

Richard Scott was a master of leverages and angles to get post position close to the basket. That's not really Shakur's game -- he's more about moving fast and being stronger and jumping higher to get his shot off (although he does have a baby hook with both hands) or to get putbacks -- it's not Richard Scott's backing his man down with his backside and then the play is over by the time he gets the ball.
On Phog, HHHawk is connected to the Hutch program and is good intel. That he is saying that the midwest is a strong option for Shakur and not specifically naming KU should give you some hope.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
On Phog, HHHawk is connected to the Hutch program and is good intel. That he is saying that the midwest is a strong option for Shakur and not specifically naming KU should give you some hope.

hhhawk wrote:

Chances of midwest teams seem to be increasing.

hhhawk:

Shakur comes from a very tough neighborhood in Paterson, New Jersey. His brother was killed in a drive-by that Shakur witnessed. I think it is likely that Shakur will distance himself from that situation. If you were his parent, I think you likely would like to get your son to a totally different environment.

Hhhawk had these two posts, and while they're probably mostly opinion, we can still speculate.

My analysis:
I doubt Prohm would ever blatantly use negative recruiting, however there's an obvious avenue to do so here. If Juiston did want to stay in the Midwest because of his history back around home, and wanted a nicer environment, then all the negativity this past season around KU, and their off the court issues, would have to help Prohm and Iowa St.

Prohm is up for character type awards, and has run a very clean program thus far. I think that's what Prohm and his staff could sell Juiston and his family. He played in the state of Kansas, so I'm certain he and his family know about KU's issues off the court.

Now, if he wants to complete for final fours, and play for a HOF coach, then there's obviously no way Iowa St can complete with KU.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
hhhawk wrote:

hhhawk:

Shakur comes from a very tough neighborhood in Paterson, New Jersey. His brother was killed in a drive-by that Shakur witnessed. I think it is likely that Shakur will distance himself from that situation. If you were his parent, I think you likely would like to get your son to a totally different environment.

Hhhawk had these two posts, and while they're probably mostly opinion, we can still speculate.

My analysis:
I doubt Prohm would ever blatantly use negative recruiting, however there's an obvious avenue to do so here. If Juiston did want to stay in the Midwest because of his history back around home, and wanted a nicer environment, then all the negativity this past season around KU, and their off the court issues, would have to help Prohm and Iowa St.

Prohm is up for character type awards, and has run a very clean program thus far. I think that's what Prohm and his staff could sell Juiston and his family. He played in the state of Kansas, so I'm certain he and his family know about KU's issues off the court.

Now, if he wants to complete for final fours, and play for a HOF coach, then there's obviously no way Iowa St can complete with KU.

Coach Prohm's response: Hold my kids baby bottle.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
hhhawk wrote:

hhhawk:

My analysis:

Focus town. Get him in-touch with Kane.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He's been about as neutral on Juiston to KU or ISU as you'll find over there. Several times he's mentioned how early and persistent we have been in recruiting Juiston. He probably knows as much as anyone here as to how we're recruiting Juiston.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I really expected to hear about a Juiston visit by now. Isn't the Spring signing period in the next couple of weeks?

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I really expected to hear about a Juiston visit by now. Isn't the Spring signing period in the next couple of weeks?
I might be wrong but I thought I read there is a no contact period going on atm? Teams can't contact recruits. Might have something to do with it. Maybe I'm wrong though...

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
I might be wrong but I thought I read there is a no contact period going on atm? Teams can't contact recruits. Might have something to do with it. Maybe I'm wrong though...
Yea, dead period ends this Thursday at noon.