Shooting in Campustown last night, 3 injured

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
It's really hard to find any details about this. Did they catch the shooter? What condition are the victims in?

• Informative
Reactions: zmanzbo

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Here is the press release from APD. Fight occurred they broke it up and while they were dispersing a car believed to have occupants from the fight pulled up and opened fire on the crowd. Officers returned fire and the car sped off. Three injured due to gunfire.

• Informative
Reactions: bsaltyman

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Sorry, I didn't see the thread in the Off Topic forum. Mods please merge.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Surprised there wasn't already a thread on this. Random shooting into a crowd on Welch seems like a bigger deal

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Surprised there wasn't already a thread on this. Random shooting into a crowd on Welch seems like a bigger deal
Considering we don't have hardly any information about it at this point I don't think it's fair to call it a random shooting just yet.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
That corner always seemed to have fighting when I was in school a decade ago. Seems it started when that club was opened. Is that club still open?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
That corner always seemed to have fighting when I was in school a decade ago. Seems it started when that club was opened. Is that club still open?
I think you are thinking of Club Element. It has changed hands a couple times since. Now it is called AJ's Ultra Lounge. My sister who's in school now says any respectable person avoids it like the plague.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I was walking past Kum and Go back tovmy car at about 1:25... Police cars were already by AJ's club, so the first fight must've already happened. Good thing I left when I did.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow. Didn't know that the cops returned fire into the car.

Hope there wasn't any friendly fire injuries.

Should be pretty easy to spot the vehicle with bullet holes.

Also, I have to think someone has to have some video of the car's license plate. There seems to be somebody making a video of just about anything that happens these days.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Considering we don't have hardly any information about it at this point I don't think it's fair to call it a random shooting just yet.

A better term would be "indiscriminate" since I am betting it's related to the earlier fight and not entirely "random". Truely random shooting are pretty rare. This ones unique in a way since the cops were there, most of the time (if it is as it seems) this is the stuff that happens BEFORE the cops. Shooting into a crowd with the cops present is even crazier than the usual, and all to common, "fight escalates to gunplay" scenario.