Skilled Trades jobs in Central Iowa

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Looking at making a career change and moving back to Central Iowa.
I’ve always loved working with my hands and being out and about, moving around.
Any recommendations on getting into HVAC, plumbing, electrician, or even getting my Class A CDL and hitting the road in a truck? It looks like there’s a fair amount of apprenticeships available.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Any recommendations on getting into HVAC, plumbing, electrician, or even getting my Class A CDL and hitting the road in a truck? It looks like there’s a fair amount of apprenticeships available.
You ever driven a truck before?

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Speaking from experience. Local 33 Refrigeration Fitter. Worked primary in grocery stores and warehouses building and servicing refigeration systems. Excellent pay & great benefits, especially retirement. Mentally challenging work. Plenty of work. In fact, when the economy goes south, grocery stores do better and that redounds down to refigeration fitters.

Downside: Service work requires nights and weekends. Working in the elements.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Yeah not sure I would be interested in OTR, but rather regional or local.
do you have any experience in the trades? Or looking to get into it? I run a facility department with about 80 facilities positions that were almost always looking for individuals for various trade positions.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
If you really want to make $$$ join try and get an apprenticeship in the elavator mechanics union. I've been a union fire sprinklerfitter for 10 years and wish I would have done something easier on my body. Great money and benefits though. I think my total compensation is about 140k.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
do you have any experience in the trades? Or looking to get into it? I run a facility department with about 80 facilities positions that were almost always looking for individuals for various trade positions.
I have 5 years of roofing experience, but not looking to wreck my back anymore as I get older lol.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Welders are in high demand.

Know a guy in HVAC who had a pretty bad fall recently. That’s one where you work some crappy hours
Yeah I think that could be any trade with the hours (or the hazards for that matter). Kinda dependent upon the job and where you’re at in construction.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I have 5 years of roofing experience, but not looking to wreck my back anymore as I get older lol.
Electricians probably have the least labor-intensive job of the trades(not saying their job is easy). If you have a CDL you could drive for Elder, McAninch, or Correll. I think their drivers are in Local 234(operators union)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Truck driving is good money, but have a friend who describes it as 99.9% boredom and the rest sheer terror. A car with two young women crossed a divided highway in front of him in heavy rain. He has needed extensive therapy to get over their deaths.

• Informative