Slow and Laggy

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
What in the hell is wrong with this website? In the last year its done nothing but get slower and more laggy. In no way is it related to my internet or computer it seems. Whether its at home, work, or any of the coffee shops or breweries I frequent, internet is not the problem. As far as hardware goes, the computers I use at home and work function fine on all other sites but this. Even my phone is laggy with this place. Meanwhile I can get on any number of other teams boards that work fine. Something needs to be done around here...

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
You are right the site is slow and laggy. It also crashes in Chrome quite often. The issue is a combination of how "smart" ads are used and the cheap hosting site.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
In the last couple months both my computers have consistently gotten this message:

"This website is using excess power, closing it may improve the responsiveness of your computer".

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I've noticed this as well and did some poking around. Look at some of these similar website home page sizes:

Eleven Warriors (OSU fan site): 3.7 MB
Des Moines Register: 4.9 MB
CNN: 3.6 MB
Fox News: 4.9 MB

Reddit (old): 1.8 MB
KCCI: 3.9 MB
247 Sports: 3.4 MB
Rivals: 3.7 MB

Cyclone Fanatic: 24.2 MB

That's a huge difference.

Making a website and running it consistently with high volume is no small feat. It is very difficult to keep up on everything, especially with a small team somewhat reliant on Patreon. I sense the team is stretched thin and a rethink of site goals could help.

I'm obsessed with streamlining and when I glance at the home page, there are many redundant tabs, dead links, inconsistent naming schemes and areas that could be condensed or eliminated entirely, keeping just the three primary drivers of page visits: NEWS, FORUMS, PODCASTS.

One small example on the home page:

The TEAMS tab in top right is a redundant version of the BASKETBALL and FOOTBALL tabs, which are of dubious value anyway.

The football scholarship chart has David Dawson as a senior--who never played a game for ISU and left over a year ago.

The basketball results page stopped being updated in February (men) and January (women).

Does anyone use CF for these kinds of pages that are better replicated on other sites? Thus why waste site resources and hours on maintaining?​

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I thought that this column was maybe about what my hoops game looks like in my advancing years.

But I also have issues with things loading and it crashing on Chrome. Wasn't sure if it was my new laptop or my new wireless provider.

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
I am no computer expert but I am on a Mac and never had a problem......Could it be the viewer's platform type?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
In the last couple months both my computers have consistently gotten this message:

"This website is using excess power, closing it may improve the responsiveness of your computer".

Me as well! I'll also have the issue of being in the middle of a thread and it resets itself back several pages. When I try to page ahead, it closes out to the front page completely.

There are also times I'm typing a response but the letters are not showing up in timely manner. HUGE lag between typing and the letters showing up. Always and only on this site.

I'm running on Safari on or Chrome. Everything seems to be the most current version of whatever its supposed to be.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've noticed the lag and slowness on multiple machines, browsers (Chrome, IE11, Edge) and types of networks. Just typing this post I can type without issue then I notice one of the ads will flash and change and my typing will come to a crawl where I literally have to peck a character at a time for awhile or refresh the page so I can finish a post.

For some reason never have any issue with typing on my Android Galaxy S7 though with this site.

enolcyc

Mar 5, 2008
Carlisle, IA
VERY slow and laggy. I always get "cyclonefanatic.com is not responding" and have to "recover the web page". This happens on both my work and personal laptops. I also had issues while typing this post.