So is Roy that much better than Self ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
One thing I've noticed about the past 2 years UNC team is that instead of going the Kentucky method and making their bread and butter off of 1 and done players, they've had a fairly big stable of upperclassmen to complement one or two sensational freshmen. Kansas only really had Josh Jackson this year, and while Mason, Svi, and Graham were really good, the core wasn't enough to overcome the whole. KU's role players really left a lot to be desired this season, lucky IMO that they even made it to the Elite 8. Having to rely on consistent production from Landen Lucas as the primary 5 hurt them. People thought Iowa State lacked post production this year, but I think it was KU's achilles heel also.

Reactions: CYTUTT

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
It helps when 5 star players like Pinson and Jackson are not good enough to be one and done type of players, but can stick around and improve.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
They may still have to take real classes at KU.

Was a little surprised the announcers called Meeks fat, they usually just reserve that for Georges, even though there were other heftier players in the league. He seemed like their only player who shot a decent percentage during the game, although missing those free throws.

They did make me barf a bit talking about the player that went to class. I guess that is unusual at NC.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
They did make me barf a bit talking about the player that went to class. I guess that is unusual at NC.

Kevin Harlin started the KC regional - I mean it wasn't 5 mins into the game - describing what a great kid Josh Jackson is based on his calling Tom Izzo, telling him he was going to Ku. Harlin is a J'hawk alum and homer de jeur. Jackson has constantly been in trouble, but Harlin found reason to praise. I hate media types propping-up their offering regardless the circumstance or logic.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Or is it that UNC is that far superior to Ku?
tumblr_od8s38Nr8F1qzx3jto1_r1_400.gif

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Interestingly, Roy went to four final 4's but never won the championship at Ku. Did not happen for him until UNC, where's he's 2 for 5, and easily could have been 3-for after losing to Nova last year on the buzzer beater. Maybe Self needs a change of scenery. :eek:

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Kansas is a blue blood, no doubt, but UNC is a bluer blood. Self is probably the better coach because he was able to take a lesser program to the top; where ol' Roy needed the strength of the historically better program to finally succeed.

• Winner
Reactions: CYTUTT

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Easier to recruit at UNC. Their current roster has 3 McD's AAs from their state. In the last 15 years the state of Kansas has had 1 McDAA. UNC's entire team comes from NC and the surrounding states with the exception of only a couple. Self's job is tougher because KU is located in the midwest.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Interestingly, Roy went to four final 4's but never won the championship at Ku. Did not happen for him until UNC, where's he's 2 for 5, and easily could have been 3-for after losing to Nova last year on the buzzer beater. Maybe Self needs a change of scenery. :eek:

Roy also lost as a 1-seed in round-of-32 twice at KU ('92 and '98) ... CF had the recent thread about Self "underachieving" in tournament, but the 1v9 upset has happened only once to him at Kansas (there are 2v7/2v10 examples, though).

What all that means as a comparison, I have no idea.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
KU isn't used to not getting calls in the tournament. I think that is their biggest Achilles heel. Self is a great coach and they have great players

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY