So is Roy that much better than Self ...

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
KU isn't used to not getting calls in the tournament. I think that is their biggest Achilles heel. Self is a great coach and they have great players
Then how has KU won more tourney games than everyone except Carolina since 2000?

The refs had nothing to do with Kansas losing to Oregon. Jackson missed a ton of the first half, KU missed a ton of open threes and Oregon hit some tough ones. KU led in free throw attemps 17-3 until a few intentional fouls by KU in the last minute.

Playing this off as KU is used to getting the ref bias but doesnt get it in the tourney is simply incorrect.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Then how has KU won more tourney games than everyone except Carolina since 2000?

The refs had nothing to do with Kansas losing to Oregon. Jackson missed a ton of the first half, KU missed a ton of open threes and Oregon hit some tough ones. KU led in free throw attemps 17-3 until a few intentional fouls by KU in the last minute.

Playing this off as KU is used to getting the ref bias but doesnt get it in the tourney is simply incorrect.

When you get the calls all year long you are going to put yourself in a good situation to rack up wins in the tournament until the dreaded Elite 8 game.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
When you get the calls all year long you are going to put yourself in a good situation to rack up wins in the tournament until the dreaded Elite 8 game.
I feel sad for you that this is a real conversation.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It's OK to be blinded by what real goes on. You're a true fan so I don't blame you. Everyone knows KU gets the benefit of the whistle during the season
So make your case with more than just a claim. Prove that NOT getting a favorable whistle is what cost them vs. Oregon. You can't because its nothing more than a dumb story. Like I said, they were up 17-3 in free throw attempts with 1 minute left.

Your theory should at least have some sort of actual evidence to back it up. Mine is that they couldn't make a three to save their life and my evidence is that the box score says "5-25" under the stat titled "3PT".

Make your case, smart guy.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So make your case with more than just a claim. Prove that NOT getting a favorable whistle is what cost them vs. Oregon. You can't because its nothing more than a dumb story. Like I said, they were up 17-3 in free throw attempts with 1 minute left.

Your theory should at least have some sort of actual evidence to back it up. Mine is that they couldn't make a three to save their life and my evidence is that the box score says "5-25" under the stat titled "3PT".

I never said it was the reason they lost to Oregon. I think they lost in the Elite 8 just because of karma and how shady the program was run this year. I'm talking about previous years when they've flamed out

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I never said it was the reason they lost to Oregon. I think they lost in the Elite 8 just because of karma and how shady the program was run this year. I'm talking about previous years when they've flamed out

What a cop out.

"Well......it wasnt actually this time. It was all those other times...."

Weak.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Roy hangs his third banner at a school with the worst academic scandal I can ever imagine. All the academics must be very proud of their NCAA leadership that allows championships like this to happen regardless the circumstances. o_O

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames

So your point is that Oregon didn't beat KU, the Jayhawks simply beat themselves?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
So your point is that Oregon didn't beat KU, the Jayhawks simply beat themselves?

Every basketball game is a combination of "what did the opponent allow you to do" and "what did you do to yourself". Oregon played very well but if Kansas handles their own business and hits their average number on uncontested jumpers and doesn't shoot themselves in the foot by tipping the ball away from teammates three times on rebounds, then it is a tight ballgame down the stretch and I like KU's chances in that scenario. Oh, well. On to next year. KU will have a salty lineup again if Graham comes back or they can replace him with a top tier recruit like Duval.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Every basketball game is a combination of "what did the opponent allow you to do" and "what did you do to yourself". Oregon played very well but if Kansas handles their own business and hits their average number on uncontested jumpers and doesn't shoot themselves in the foot by tipping the ball away from teammates three times on rebounds, then it is a tight ballgame down the stretch and I like KU's chances in that scenario. Oh, well. On to next year. KU will have a salty lineup again if Graham comes back or they can replace him with a top tier recruit like Duval.

Duval is going to Duke

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

He's saying that KU got beat because OR was the better team on the floor. Not because they grew soft throughout the year because the refs carried their water.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Roy was much worse in Big 12 play. We beat him 5 times in a row once and took two consecutive Big 12 regular season titles from Roy. No B12 team has ever gotten close to that level of beat down against Self unfortunately.

Roy is also a pretty horrible human being compared to Self from what I've seen of the way they handle themselves and their team. Roy's players were absolute punks and he encouraged it. The only reason I loathe KU under Self is the ridiculous officiating they often get.

Reactions: SeventhSon

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm not sure how you rank 1 above the other, other than use simple emotion. Both coaches are leading top tier programs and have for years. Both coaches bring in fantastic recruiting classes and have for years. I'd probably say Self has been more consistent at KU than Roy but Roy has more banners. I think Self's string of conference titles is WAY more impressive as it shows they can play at an elite status for long periods of time. That is way tough and shows superior coaching skills to get that much out of them for prolonged periods of time.

They can both go roger themselves though.