So is Roy that much better than Self ...

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Roy was much worse in Big 12 play. We beat him 5 times in a row once and took two consecutive Big 12 regular season titles from Roy. No B12 team has ever gotten close to that level of beat down against Self unfortunately.

Roy is also a pretty horrible human being compared to Self from what I've seen of the way they handle themselves and their team. Roy's players were absolute punks and he encouraged it. The only reason I loathe KU under Self is the ridiculous officiating they often get.

I agree about Roy. They guy is an ass and he comes off as this down home folksy guy. "Ah shucks." "dadgum" But they guy is a hell of a coach. There is an argument for him as a top 5 all time coach. He didn't win a title at KU but he was pretty close and he didn't have as much talent as he does on his UNC teams.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Put me in the camp that doesn't care at all what Graham does.

Well who would you rather ISU play against. Graham or Duval? I would take Graham. Duval is going to be a beast. he reminds me of a Westbrook or Rose(pre-injuries)

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well who would you rather ISU play against. Graham or Duval? I would take Graham. Duval is going to be a beast. he reminds me of a Westbrook or Rose(pre-injuries)

Yep I'm in the same boat. Newman probably scares me more than Graham

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I beg to differ on the talent question. I believe Roy's '97 team was the best of the modern era led by Jacque Vaughn, Raef LaFrentz and Paul Pierce.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I beg to differ on the talent question. I believe Roy's '97 team was the best of the modern era led by Jacque Vaughn, Raef LaFrentz and Paul Pierce.

He had a couple teams like that. But best in the modern era? What is the modern era?
But for the most part his teams at UNC have had far more talent. Take this year for example. They had something like 6 McDAA on the team and that has been the norm for Roy at UNC.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
When I think of Ku hoops, the modern era is Larry Brown forward. Ku was not elite before that time.

Well if you are talking about teams since Larry Brown then that team wasn't the best team of the modern era. That is not even close to being true.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Yes, plus Scot Pollard. All 4 played for at least a decade in the league. I think 810 said it was the only college team to have 4 players play over 10 years in the NBA.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I agree about Roy. They guy is an ass and he comes off as this down home folksy guy. "Ah shucks." "dadgum" But they guy is a hell of a coach. There is an argument for him as a top 5 all time coach. He didn't win a title at KU but he was pretty close and he didn't have as much talent as he does on his UNC teams.

The late 90's team has already been mentioned, but his early 2000's teams were loaded with talent. Back to back final fours, but couldn't get past 'Melo and Syracuse in the championship game.

2002 team had:

Drew Gooden - 4 years in the NBA
Kirk Hinrick - 13 years in the NBA (so far)
Nick Collison 13 years in the NBA (so far)
Wayne Simien 3 years in the NBA
Aaron Miles - 10 years in the NBA

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Younger j'hawks like to discount Roy in favor of Self. One way of doing that is to minimize his talent back then. In my mind, he had far better players, overall, because, in large part, most weren't one and done. Self's tried to play the Cal game and hasn't been able to do it at UK's level of excellence, nowhere near as well, actually.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think younger j'hawks like to discount Roy in favor of Self. One way of doing that is to minimize his talent back then. In my mind, he had far better players, overall, on some of those teams because most weren't one and done. Self's tried to play the Cal game and hasn't been able to do it at UK's level of excellence, nowhere near as well.

No one is minimizing Roy's talent. But look at the McDAAs that Roy has had at UNC. It is the reason he has won titles at UNC; depth of talent. I am not saying the gap is huge. It is small. But a small edge is enough to put you over the top from championship game to championship. I think the only Self team to rival Roy's teams is the year they won it in 2008. Depth of talent. And this has nothing to do with Roy vs. Self. This is UNC Roy vs KU Roy.

Also think there is a very small difference in winning vs not winning some years. When Roy had KU vs. Syracuse. They could have easily won that game. This year, they could have easily lost against Gonzaga.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The late 90's team has already been mentioned, but his early 2000's teams were loaded with talent. Back to back final fours, but couldn't get past 'Melo and Syracuse in the championship game.

2002 team had:

Drew Gooden - 14 years in the NBA
Kirk Hinrick - 13 years in the NBA (so far)
Nick Collison 13 years in the NBA (so far)
Wayne Simien 3 years in the NBA
Aaron Miles - 1 year in the NBA

FIFY

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
No one is minimizing Roy's talent. But look at the McDAAs that Roy has had at UNC. It is the reason he has won titles at UNC; depth of talent. I am not saying the gap is huge. It is small. But a small edge is enough to put you over the top from championship game to championship. I think the only Self team to rival Roy's teams is the year they won it in 2008. Depth of talent. And this has nothing to do with Roy vs. Self. This is UNC Roy vs KU Roy.

Also think there is a very small difference in winning vs not winning some years. When Roy had KU vs. Syracuse. They could have easily won that game. This year, they could have easily lost against Gonzaga.
Well, that's been my observation all along, that it's not Roy it's UNC being a superior basketball school to Ku. His record alone makes that pretty clear, winning as many NCAA crowns alone as Ku has won in its history, three.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Well, that's been my observation all along, that it's not Roy it's UNC being a superior basketball school to Ku. His record alone makes that pretty clear, winning as many NCAA crowns alone as Ku has won in its history, three.

It is simply easier to get more talent to UNC. Location, Location, Location. That matters a lot in recruiting. Look at the talent in the ACC compared to the Big 12.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Roy won his first title at Carolina in 2005 at the same age that Self is right now. Until that time he was the coach who couldn't break through. We'll see what Self's resume looks like 12 years from now when he is 66 like Roy is right now. My guess is that it improves.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Is Graham seriously thinking of going to the NBA? He's #50 on draft express right now

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron