Sophomore/Junior Handicap...

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
My Cell Bio prof brought up something the faculty was thinking about implementing. In courses with an array of sophomores, juniors and seniors the underclassmen would be given a handicap to offset the advantage the seniors might have. He said this could potentially be a letter grade. We had a thirty minute talk during lecture and the prevailing opinion was that it didn't make much sense all. What are your thoughts?

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
It doesn't make sense even conceptually if there is no mandatory distribution of grades (e.g. 30% have to be As, 30% Bs, etc.)

It also doesn't make sense for any classes that aren't intro classes.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Makes no sense. Arguably I did better (studied longer, went to more classes, got better grades) my freshman year than I did my junior and senior years. It's actually probably the exact opposite of what it should be.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
It makes no sense when considering the use of and type of test. In most tests for classes, you are looking for students to show a minimum value of learned knowledge. A driving test is also a test for a minimum standard of knowledge/skills. You wouldn't expect old people to get free points on a driving test just because they can't see well or react quickly enough.

If the purpose of the test were to predict future success in some area (SAT/ACT/GRE) and one group showed that it was consistently being underestimated by the test, I could see why you would take such a measure. However, a class exam is a different type of test and one for which that type of discriminating measure should not be applied.

Since you are testing for knowledge learned and not for determining future ability, such a measure should not be applied.

Help Support Us

Become a patron