Strat-o-Matic games

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Just wondering if anyone else has ever played any if their games before. Me and some friends used to play baseball every year when I was a kid. I think we played for 7 or 8 years in a row. We played NFL, NBA and college football each for just 1 year but they were all pretty fun.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I had stratomatic baseball. I think I probably got it in 1964 or 1965. But the game I played the most was All Star Baseball. Each batter had a round card that fit over a spinner and you would spin to see what the batter did. You could also hit and run, steal bases and all kinds of things. Each player had their own card which would simulate their strengths. I guess it sounds bad compared to the modern video games but I miss playing it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I had an NFL one and an MLB one back when I was a kid in the mid/late 1980s. Stopped being popular once Nintendo became a household thing.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I had the game back in the 60's.

It's when I was a stat-obsessed baseball guy.

Playing game after game could make you a hermit (forerunner to video games).

I may still have it somewhere, is it worth anything?

Reactions: Bryce7

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
As a kid in mid to late 70's, we used to draft our own roster and played all summer. We scored each game and tracked player stats.

In early 70's each player had a circular card that was inserted into a slot on the game board and spinner determined at bat. In mid 70's they switched to dice based game. They still sell this same game today with current player cards.

A favorite of mine as a kid was the Hall of Fame version. Fun to play a lineup of Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Jackie Robinson, etc.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Honestly, I'm not sure I even knew about Strat-o-Matic. If I was a fantasy-sports person, I'd have a better grasp historically.

Not to sidetrack, the closest game I had to such a thing was "Pro Draft," got it around '77 or '78. You use your actual football card collection, and you build a lineup through drafts, trades, free agency, and such. Each player draws cards assigned a value to each player (0 thru 100, by 5's), so you don't always know if you're making good acquisitions or not. Anyone else remember that?

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I had stratomatic baseball. I think I probably got it in 1964 or 1965. But the game I played the most was All Star Baseball. Each batter had a round card that fit over a spinner and you would spin to see what the batter did. You could also hit and run, steal bases and all kinds of things. Each player had their own card which would simulate their strengths. I guess it sounds bad compared to the modern video games but I miss playing it.
Minnesota Twins had Earl Battey, Oliva, Hall, Killebrew, Mincher, Zoilo, Allison. That was my team

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Always wanted to try it, but never picked it up.
Also enjoyed MicroLeague Baseball on the C64. Not quite the same, but a game where stats mattered, and had plenty of classic teams along with a Hall of Fame team for each league.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Played a lot of baseball and a little football and basketball in the 80's. Have bought basketball and baseball again and try to make the kids play every once in awhile. The Hall of Fame set is the way to go in Baseball...

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My younger brothers always played the NFL one for hours on end. They had the placement of the overlay cards and the bead bounce down to a science. I just stayed away from playing them, as I know I had no chance.