Suggestions Needed for Business Dinner In Des Moines

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Attending a conference in Des Moines, and will be hosting clients (mostly women) for a dinner in downtown on a Friday.

Looking for suggestions - very health conscious group. Must have wine list, vegetarian options, and carb conscious options. Near downtown (taxi) ideal. Budget is fairly open.

Was looking at Django, but menu is a bit "heavy" for this group, but right now is where I am leaning. Asian fusion or "unique" places usually work well for this crowd. Doesn't have to be formal, creative wins over just expensive with them.

Thanks for suggestions.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Akebono. It's on Tenth just across from Django. Great sashimi and some good non raw options. Wine list is ok for a sushi place.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As far as Asian/sushi goes downtown, I'm a big fan of Wasabi Tao. If you have a big group it may not work well, as the space is somewhat cramped, but it is delicious sushi.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Attending a conference in Des Moines, and will be hosting clients (mostly women) for a dinner in downtown on a Friday.

Looking for suggestions - very health conscious group. Must have wine list, vegetarian options, and carb conscious options. Near downtown (taxi) ideal. Budget is fairly open.

Was looking at Django, but menu is a bit "heavy" for this group, but right now is where I am leaning. Asian fusion or "unique" places usually work well for this crowd. Doesn't have to be formal, creative wins over just expensive with them.

Thanks for suggestions.

Too bad it is Winter time because the outfield at Principle Park sounds like a great choice, minus the wine list.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Thanks for suggestions.

Well fortunately, IMO the best restaurants in the metro are downtown, so you shouldn't have too travel far.

Best new restaurant for 2013 (and I believe should fit your requirements listed) Food Dude

Others:

HOQ
A Dong in Downtown Des Moines
Proof

Reactions: twistedredbird

cybat

Aug 6, 2006
I would vote for Alba, as well. I think it is the best food in Des Moines (the chef there recently won the Battle Chef competition amongst a number other top chefs in Des Moines). Also has a good wine list, unique atmosphere and location. I have hosted client dinners there and it was a hit.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
The only nice restaurant ive been to in des moines is the 801 chophouse. Doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for, but holy crap that prime rib was superb.

Last edited:

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I've attended and hosted dinners at Raccoon River Brewing Company. The menu is pretty diverse.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
If wine is a big draw for this group, might also consider Sbrocco on Court Ave. : Welcome to Sbrocco Wine :: Sbrocco Wine

A comment on Centro - this is one of my favorite restaurants but I didn't offer it up for a few reasons. I like it because the menu is pretty straight forward and get plenty of food. (that is why I like it, didn't think this sounded like your group). Finally, it is very loud and while the atmosphere is cool and metropolitan, not sure it is "unique" like say Alba, Sborrco, or Proof.

In the end, I think Alba is your best but I'd be sure to check with them to see what vegetarian options they currently offer.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up doing both Centro and Alba. Alba was definately the hit. Food was good, service a high standard, and a good wine list. Atmosphere needs a boost though. As Capitalcityguy suggested, Centro, while atmosphere good, food portions were too much...but found the menu awfully heavy and the service was subpar bordering on terrible.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up doing both Centro and Alba. Alba was definately the hit. Food was good, service a high standard, and a good wine list. Atmosphere needs a boost though. As Capitalcityguy suggested, Centro, while atmosphere good, food portions were too much...but found the menu awfully heavy and the service was subpar bordering on terrible.
In future Des Moines club downtown would be glad to bp have you.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Thanks for the update. Yeah, given your description of your group, I didn't think Centro was your spot. That said, surprised to hear about the service...never had service issues there myself.