MLB: Suspended game vs. Reschedule?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
So, yesterday the Cardinals played the Rockies. The Cards took a 5-1 lead in the first 2+ innings, but rain postponed the game and eventually it was rescheduled for today.

My question is, is there a definitive rule for suspending a game vs. rescheduling it? I'm wondering if they decided to reschedule yesterday's rain-shortened game for today, why not just start today where yesterday left off, in the 3rd inning?

Of course, I say this because the Cards had a 5-1 and Pujols had already jacked one.

Does anyone know the rulebook on this one?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I don't know, but it ticks me off, because that takes off one of Albert's home runs, and the Cards almost certainly would have won. On an interesting note, Jimmy Foxx would have had the home run record a long time ago, but 7 of his homeruns were discounted because his games were rescheduled.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
All I know is that they tend to call the game complete if it suspends after 5 innings.

I suppose the suspension vs. reschedule is more a question of the weather - if it looks like it will clear out to allow play to resume, even after a few hours delay, they'll do that. If the weather looks like it won't let up for a while, I think they reschedule.

Maybe there is a strict rule for this, I don't know.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
All I know is that they tend to call the game complete if it suspends after 5 innings.

I suppose the suspension vs. reschedule is more a question of the weather - if it looks like it will clear out to allow play to resume, even after a few hours delay, they'll do that. If the weather looks like it won't let up for a while, I think they reschedule.

Maybe there is a strict rule for this, I don't know.

Yeah, I knew that it had to be over 5 for the game to be called official, but I want to know is why they didn't suspend it for today? If they get the entire game in today, they would have the same result as if they would've just suspended it; both teams will have completed 1 game.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't know, but it ticks me off, because that takes off one of Albert's home runs, and the Cards almost certainly would have won. On an interesting note, Jimmy Foxx would have had the home run record a long time ago, but 7 of his homeruns were discounted because his games were rescheduled.

I agree, we were mashing the ball and had Francis on the ropes, which we never do. I suspect that tonight's game will probably go differently.

Speaking of tonight, what can we expect out of Kyle Lohse?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I agree, we were mashing the ball and had Francis on the ropes, which we never do. I suspect that tonight's game will probably go differently.

He hasn't been around Dunc too long, so I would probably say not very much.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
If the game hasn't gone five innings it isn't complete and you start over.

If 5 innings have been played, and one team is leading the game is complete.

If 5 innings have been played and the score is tied you would resume the game from where you left off.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

On a related note, what can we expect out of Kip Wells tonight?

Knowing our luck, he'll throw like a Cy Young candidate: 7 IP 7k 1 BB 3 H 0 ER

Or he could get into trouble early and give up like he did for the Cards last year

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

If 5 innings have been played and the score is tied you would resume the game from where you left off.

Ah, thank you. I was thinking something along those lines. I know if the away team is leading and the home team has not had a chance to bat in that inning then the game is not official. The home team has to have the last at-bat in a weather shortened game for it to be official.

Thank you!

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

The official rulebook (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2008/official_rules/04_starting_ending_game.pdf) of major league baseball only has this to say:

4.12 SUSPENDED GAMES.

(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:

(1) A curfew imposed by law;

(2) A time limit permissible under league rules;

(3) Light failure or malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club. (Mechanical field device shall include automatic tarpaulin or water removal equipment);

(4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on;

(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead; or

(6) It is a regulation game that is called with the score tied.

National Association Leagues may also adopt the following rules for suspended games. (If adopted by a National Association League, Rule 4.10(e) would not apply to their games.):

(7) The game has not become a regulation game (4½ innings with the home team ahead, or 5 innings with the visiting club ahead or tied).

If a game is suspended before it becomes a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be limited to seven innings.

(9) If a game is suspended after it is a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be a nine inning game.

EXCEPTION: Optional Rules 4.12(a)(7), 4.12(a)(8) and 4.12(a)(9) for National Association Leagues will not apply to the last scheduled game between the two teams during the championship season or league playoffs.

No game called because of a curfew (Rule 4.12(a)(1)), weather (Rule 4.12(a)(5)), a time limit (Rule 4.12(a)(2)) or with a tied score (Rule 4.12(a)(6)) shall be a suspended game unless it has progressed far enough to have been a regulation game pursuant to Rule 4.10(c). A game called pursuant to Rules 4.12(a)(3) or 4.12(a)(4) shall be a suspended game at any time after it starts.
NOTE: Weather and similar conditions—Rules 4.12(a)(1) through 4.12(a)(5)—shall take precedence in determining whether a called game shall be a suspended game. If a game is halted by weather, and subsequent light failure or an intervening curfew or time limit prevents its resumption, the game shall not be a suspended game. If a game is halted by light failure, and weather or field conditions prevent its resumption, the game shall not be a suspended game. A game can only be considered a suspended game if stopped for any of the six reasons specified in Rule 4.12(a).
And then...

(c) A suspended game shall be resumed at the exact point of suspension of the original game. The completion of a suspended game is a continuation of the original game. The lineup and batting order of both teams shall be exactly the same as the lineup and batting order at the moment of suspension, subject to the rules governing substitution. Any player may be replaced by a player who had not been in the game prior to the suspension. No player removed before the suspension may be returned to the lineup.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
On a related note, what can we expect out of Kip Wells tonight?

Knowing our luck, he'll throw like a Cy Young candidate: 7 IP 7k 1 BB 3 H 0 ER

Or he could get into trouble early and give up like he did for the Cards last year

Kip Wells will own us. It is pretty much a certainty.

Help Support Us

Become a patron