T.J. and Billy

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
T.J. Otzelberger and Bill Fennelly will be on the radio together this evening. Coach Fennelly tweets that its "time for him to start dealing with the media." Maybe T.J. and Billy will trade notes. Both MBB and WBB coaches have commented on the tough 18 game conference schedule. Maybe T.J. could take Billy to New York and intro some nationally rated players so Texas and the other south schools lament having to play us twice.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How many people can figure out what you are saying without having to re-read that?

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I apologize - yes that post does require integrating some broadbased Cyclone background. I'll explain the twisted ramblings of a WBB Fanatic in exile. T.J. Otzelberger is an assistant MBB coach - generally regarded as an exceptional recruiter (trust me on this one). He was in New York City last Thursday to watch Nkereuwem Okoro, a highly regarded 6-foot-4, 190-pound shooting guard out of St. Raymond High in New York City. Billy Fennelly is Coach Bill Fennelly's son and Director of Player Development with (trust me here too) access to the coach. They are scheduled to be together on a radio program this evening. Both Coach Bill Fennelly and Coach Fred Hoiberg have commented on how tough it is going to be to have to play the south teams (Fred mentioned Texas by name) twice in the new 18 game conference schedule. It seems that Fred intends to recruit better players so he can have the talent to be more competitive. The tongue-in-cheek leap in the post was the hope that T.J. Otzelberger's recruiting range and prowess would encourage some of the same in the WBB program so that the south teams would be as fearful of playing ISU twice a year as it seems some in ISU are of playing the south twice a year.

*All information used in this post is available on this site, Cyclones.com and the Rag.

Iowa State Basketball Recruiting: Cyclones in good shape with Nkereuwem Okoro | Cyclone Fanatic

Iowa State women's basketball: Cyclones prepare for Big 12 Tournament | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Are you implying Bill Fennelly is not currently recruiting talented girls? Kelsey Bolte disagrees.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I apologize - yes that post does require integrating some broadbased Cyclone background. I'll explain the twisted ramblings of a WBB Fanatic in exile. T.J. Otzelberger is an assistant MBB coach - generally regarded as an exceptional recruiter (trust me on this one). He was in New York City last Thursday to watch Nkereuwem Okoro, a highly regarded 6-foot-4, 190-pound shooting guard out of St. Raymond High in New York City. Billy Fennelly is Coach Bill Fennelly's son and Director of Player Development with (trust me here too) access to the coach. They are scheduled to be together on a radio program this evening. Both Coach Bill Fennelly and Coach Fred Hoiberg have commented on how tough it is going to be to have to play the south teams (Fred mentioned Texas by name) twice in the new 18 game conference schedule. It seems that Fred intends to recruit better players so he can have the talent to be more competitive. The tongue-in-cheek leap in the post was the hope that T.J. Otzelberger's recruiting range and prowess would encourage some of the same in the WBB program so that the south teams would be as fearful of playing ISU twice a year as it seems some in ISU are of playing the south twice a year.

*All information used in this post is available on this site, Cyclones.com and the Rag.

Iowa State Basketball Recruiting: Cyclones in good shape with Nkereuwem Okoro | Cyclone Fanatic

Iowa State women's basketball: Cyclones prepare for Big 12 Tournament | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

So the motivation for recruiting better players is that we now have to play the south teams twice each year? In that case, it sure is a good thing Nebraska and Colorado are leaving the conference, otherwise Fred wouldn't have had any reason to recruit better players to have the talent to be more competitive...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

That's seriously more painful to read than your first post. I know who the guys are, who is in the conference, and who we have to play. You are making it sound too ridiculous though.

Bill Fennelly has said at a Cyclone Club lunch before that I attended that his recruiting strategy won't change too much-they will go after who they need and at what position. He said that playing the South teams twice as much just opens more doors to recruiting in those States. I think he even said a girl that he was recruiting/possibly signed nickname in Dallas was "baby Shaq."