[Tech] - Samsung to release S3 "mini" in Europe

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Samsung exec confirms Galaxy S3 'mini' is on the way | Mobile - CNET News
Hinting at the device's name, Shin said: "There's a lot of demand for a 4-inch screen device in Europe. Some may call it an entry-level device, but we call it 'mini'."

Shin did not reveal any additional details of the device -- such as pricing and availability -- ahead of tomorrow's launch, however. According to The Verge, the downsized Galaxy S3 will not be an entry-level device, suggesting that it will pack the very same features as its larger, 4.8-inch sibling.

Wonder if they'll have a US release.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
I am up for an upgrade and am really thinking of getting the S3 over the iPhone 5. I have had the iPhone 4 for the last two years and am just wanting something different, I think. (I have been going back and forth many times over the last few months). Questions for those in the know; Would it be worth the total switch to Android? Is there a way to transfer my music files to the S3 from itunes? Thanks in advance.

Back to the post. I would highly consider an S3 mini if it became available. Easier to fit in the pocket.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I love most things about the S3 except for the massive size. A smaller version with the same bells & whistles would definitely interest me.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I love most things about the S3 except for the massive size. A smaller version with the same bells & whistles would definitely interest me.

That's what has me interested in having a US release as well. I do not have a smartphone right now but will be in the market for one soon. I like the S3 with the exception of size.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
definitely will consider this one. may actually switch to a contract instead of pre-paid to get this one

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Is there a way to transfer my music files to the S3 from itunes? Thanks in advance.

Are your songs in mp3 format or the random Apple format?

If mp3, the switch would be easy (I'd quit using iTunes at that point but that's another discussion)

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

If mp3, the switch would be easy (I'd quit using iTunes at that point but that's another discussion)

Even if they are in the format iTunes uses (.m4a) they should work just fine as long as they aren't older purchased files that are protected. I've been using Google Music on my Galaxy Nexus and have no problems playing all of my music, even new purchased iTunes content.

But yes, iTunes does suck big time.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Even if they are in the format iTunes uses (.m4a) they should work just fine as long as they aren't older purchased files that are protected. I've been using Google Music on my Galaxy Nexus and have no problems playing all of my music, even new purchased iTunes content.

I wasn't sure about this part since I don't have iTunes or any iDevices. Good to know for those that consider switching.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

That's what has me interested in having a US release as well. I do not have a smartphone right now but will be in the market for one soon. I like the S3 with the exception of size.

No kidding. It's getting to be ridiculous how big phones are getting. Remember when companies would compete to make the smallest phone :twitcy:

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011

Ummm, you can easily copy all songs out of iTunes and into a folder in Windows and then drag to phone.

Or, use Google Music

Or, use Kies to drag over.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
No kidding. It's getting to be ridiculous how big phones are getting. Remember when companies would compete to make the smallest phone :twitcy:

That's because they were nothing more than phones. You don't need a big device if all you are going to do is talk and text cryptic messages.

I was hesitant about getting the HTC EVO 4G LTE because of the size, but I absolutely love it. For me, the smartphone features (web, email, etc.) are significantly easier to use than on my work iPhone (easier to see, easier to type on the touch keyboard). It fits in most of my pockets, and I have a belt clip for those instances where it doesn't fit in the pocket.

Save your eyes...don't fear the size !!