Texas beers

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
other than Lone Star (lol) what Texas beers do i need to keep an eye out for this week in San Antonio?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If you came of age during the grunge era, you might appreciate Bockslider, the beer of Texas based rockers, The Toadies.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
other than Lone Star (lol) what Texas beers do i need to keep an eye out for this week in San Antonio?

Some of my favorites are Karbach Brewing Company products (out of Houston), and St. Arnold beers (also out of Houston). I know you can get both of those in cans and bottles. Shiner, of course, is brewed by Spoetzl, and is widely available.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lone star is garbage and Shiner is overrated.

Honestly, if I ever had a Lone Star I don't remember it. I do like the Shiner, I got something different from Shiner the other day a Hy-Vee that was pretty good. Need to go check the beer fridge in the basement.....

Octoberfest

Someone gave me this suggestion in another thread:

Its very hard to describe. Revolver is the company located in Granbury,TX. Its pretty well known down here though and places will have it.
Per google: Revolver Blood & Honey. American Wheat Ale An unfiltered deep golden ale made with malted two row barley and wheat.

If you can get it Lakewood Brewery/Temptress and Rahr Brewery/Ugly pug are Dallas breweries/beers that are worth trying, both stouts. Not sure these are as readily available. I am also not a fan of IPAs btw.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pearl sold out to Pabst but it's still out there.
Not great but out there.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
In Austin some of my favorite Texas breweries/beer:
  • Live Oak - hefeweizen and pilz are good
  • Celis - White
  • 512 - IPA
  • Independence - Stash IPA is good
  • Real Ale - Devils Backbone, lime gose, axis IPA are all pretty good
Those are my go to beers around Austin - not sure which are available in San Antonio - but I'd recommend any beer from those brewers

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Scored tickets over the weekend and we are headed south on the 27th. I'm not taking 2 days off work and traveling 15 hours to drink stuff that I can get any day of the week and pick up at any grocery store / convenience store 365 days a year (I'm looking at you Busch Light). My ears are pinned back and I'm nabbing the 1st case of Lone Star as soon as I see it. When in Rome!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If your staying for awhile I'd recommend a trip up to the original salt lick. IIRC the beer store (can't order at table) had a lot of good local options and you could order a bucket and choose whatever looks good to you and create a sampler pack.

L

LincolnWay187

Nobody in texas drinks lone Star. #fakenews being reported

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Shiner. Their brewery isn't terribly far from San Antonio.

It's not the greatest beer ever, but it's solid. Their Bock and Holiday Cheer are decent.