Texas eyes a conundrum ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Things came to a head this week after photos surfaced showing quarterback Sam Ehlinger standing alone without his teammates and singing the song after a tough loss to Oklahoma. Tom Herman said he’ll continue to sing the song along with Ehlinger.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Things came to a head this week after photos surfaced showing quarterback Sam Ehlinger standing alone without his teammates and singing the song after a tough loss to Oklahoma. Tom Herman said he’ll continue to sing the song along with Ehlinger.

Mensa... my a**. Herman is a Wyle E. Coyote-level super genius.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
The AD is adding fuel to the fire and comes off as tone deaf.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Seems to me like a simple hearing out of both sides would go a long ways. There was a good article written a week or so ago about Meyers Leonard of the Heat and why he stood for the anthem while everyone else knelt. Sounds like the Heat just had an open discussion about why each person felt the way they did and they were able to respect each other's feelings.

I can't imagine anyone's rational is based in anything entirely unreasonable. Seems like they just needs to hear each other out. I'm not sure there's anyone less qualified to do that than Tom Herman, who strikes me as a self-absorbed doofus.

Also, what a silly take by the AD. The National Anthem debate is at least rooted in deference to soldiers and those who gave their lives. What exactly is the "Eyes of Texas" in deference to? It's a silly song about a school and I can't see the rational behind drawing a line in the sand over it.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Why aren't they staying out for the school song, or eyes of texas, or whatever it is?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Seems to me like a simple hearing out of both sides would go a long ways. There was a good article written a week or so ago about Meyers Leonard of the Heat and why he stood for the anthem while everyone else knelt. Sounds like the Heat just had an open discussion about why each person felt the way they did and they were able to respect each other's feelings.

I can't imagine anyone's rational is based in anything entirely unreasonable. Seems like they just needs to hear each other out. I'm not sure there's anyone less qualified to do that than Tom Herman, who strikes me as a self-absorbed doofus.

I'm not sure why you think this guy isn't capable of having a conversation like that

tenor.gif

Did you know he's in MENSA?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Why aren't they staying out for the school song, or eyes of texas, or whatever it is?

I haven't read too closely, but apparently there are some racial implications to the song, or the origin of the song, or something of that nature.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I haven't read too closely, but apparently there are some racial implications to the song, or the origin of the song, or something of that nature.
To be clear I haven't seen any statements from players (nor likely will you), but that song originated during a minstrel show on campus in the early 1900s

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
To be clear I haven't seen any statements from players (nor likely will you), but that song originated during a minstrel show on campus in the early 1900s

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

The lyrics do have a creepy "overseer watching slaves" vibe to them, too.

To be fair, "ISU Fights" is kind of sexist. It does say "loyal sons," not "loyal children," at one point.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The lyrics do have a creepy "overseer watching slaves" vibe to them, too.

To be fair, "ISU Fights" is kind of sexist. It does say "loyal sons," not "loyal children," at one point.

That's where I come down on it too. In reading those articles, it falls somewhat close to the line. Performed at a ministrel show, but it does not appear the intent was racial in nature, and it appears the ministrel part was selected due to a large audience as opposed to racist reasons. The origins seem fairly innocuous.

However, the words certainly do have a creepy connotation, especially with the history of the phrase being rooted in a phrase used by Robert E. Lee.

Like all other things of this nature, far be it from me, white guy from the suburbs, to tell minorities what is or is not racist. If they are troubled by it the University should at least address it.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The song actually has ties to Robert E. Lee who phrased it: The eyes of the south ...

Texas's turn-of-the-century president changed Lee's words to "the eyes of Texas are upon you" in a graduation speech. Students picked up on it, put some lyrics around it, and thus came the song The Eyes of Texas.

The problem is not only with Robert E. Lee, the real issue is that those students first brought the song in a minstrel show, meaning they were in black face at the time.

But it is not a silly song. To say that is to not understand Texas. The Eyes are played not only at UT events but at every kind of social occasion, like weddings since written in 1903.

Last edited:
Reactions: isufbcurt

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

Mollycoddle? Damn, learned a neat, new word today!

Oh...and looks like another Horns Down opportunity!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's where I come down on it too. In reading those articles, it falls somewhat close to the line. Performed at a ministrel show, but it does not appear the intent was racial in nature, and it appears the ministrel part was selected due to a large audience as opposed to racist reasons. The origins seem fairly innocuous.

However, the words certainly do have a creepy connotation, especially with the history of the phrase being rooted in a phrase used by Robert E. Lee.

Like all other things of this nature, far be it from me, white guy from the suburbs, to tell minorities what is or is not racist. If they are troubled by it the University should at least address it.

I just do not know where you stop digging for the historical origins of things sometimes.

The history of our species is not a pretty one. Our ancestors, even the relatively recent ones, were not peaceful, welcoming, and open-minded people. Go looking for it, and you can tear down just about anything.

There is eventually just nothing left that is not more-or-less from and created by the moral and ethical mores of the recent present. And even those are going to become outdated and retrograde in short order.

Loyal sons forever true
And we will fight that battle through.
And when we hit the line we'll hit it hard,
every yard for I-S-U!

What about the daughters...? What about those who are both or neither?

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
maybe they are just social distancing?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron