Texas eyes a conundrum ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Urban is a great coach and would turn Texas into a monster football program. However, his physical issues seem to me to be troubling enough for the family to say 'no.' It's not like he needs the money.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Urban is a great coach and would turn Texas into a monster football program. However, his physical issues seem to me to be troubling enough for the family to say 'no.' It's not like he needs the money.

Plus, while Urban has had high pressure jobs, UT is a totally different beast. His health+rebuild+unrealistic expecations makes this job not worth it to a guy who can pick and choose his next gig. I also feel like he still thinks he's the tOSU coach, listening to him on fox, he isn't exactly unbiased. That attitude is the only thing that makes me think he may step back in the ring someday but it'd have to be the perfect job. Notre Dame is about the only program that comes to mind.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I concur on ND, heitclone. He came from there as an assistant coach under Lou Holtz. He's a devout Catholic. And he's said before that Notre Dame would be his dream job. Urban is 56.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Plus, while Urban has had high pressure jobs, UT is a totally different beast. His health+rebuild+unrealistic expecations makes this job not worth it to a guy who can pick and choose his next gig. I also feel like he still thinks he's the tOSU coach, listening to him on fox, he isn't exactly unbiased. That attitude is the only thing that makes me think he may step back in the ring someday but it'd have to be the perfect job. Notre Dame is about the only program that comes to mind.
I could see USC being one that would take him and one he would have fun with.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
There is no "rebuild" needed at Texas. Their roster is full of high level talent. All they need is a coach that can get the most out of them. You don't think Urban would be able to do that? When Urban talks, those guys are going to listen.
If they don't he'll kick them off the team. It will only take 1 recruiting cycle to fill any of those spots.

If Urban goes to Texas, he'll have them in the CFP by year 2.
I'm not sure if anyone can challenge what Alabama and Clemson are doing right now (I don't think OSU is on their level either) so a Natty might not be possible, but Urban would give them the best chance to get it.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I don’t 100% buy into Urb’s health excuses. Seems like they’ve come at the same, opportune time he needed to get the hell out of Dodge.

Help Support Us

Become a patron