The loss Kelsey and AJ can not be overstated last night defensively.

blood94

May 10, 2010
I was so sad to see that Kelsey got hurt in that 1st Half and couldnt come back. Her hustle on the defensive end all year long has been a driving force for the success of this season. She is one that gets alot of 50/50 balls and she a really good on ball defender. Losing both her and AJ in the second half really limited us on what we could do defensively in the 4th quarter and overtime.

That being said, it was one of the best games i have ever watched an isu team play. I have been watching since Bill took over at ISU. It is right up there with the beatdown that they gave to North Carolina when they came to ames.

Cant wait for next year allready. !!!!

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
The phrase that popped into my head after the game was over was "war of attrition".

I would add in that having the extra ballhandling presence on the offensive side could have made a difference with our turnover numbers.
Emily Ryan was a warrior all night, but we've seen it happen before where being the sole facilitator causes her to have decision fatigue which leads to worse decisions.
She was already wearing down at the point she had two turnovers in a row towards the end of the 3rd quarter. The second turnover here was when she committed the offensive foul with the shoulder & elbow way out top.
And then AJ went down right at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Don't get me wrong. If we didn't have Emily playing last night like she did we might have been down by 20 points at halftime.

Reactions: riceville98

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The phrase that popped into my head after the game was over was "war of attrition".

I would add in that having the extra ballhandling presence on the offensive side could have made a difference with our turnover numbers.
Emily Ryan was a warrior all night, but we've seen it happen before where being the sole facilitator causes her to have decision fatigue which leads to worse decisions.
She was already wearing down at the point she had two turnovers in a row towards the end of the 3rd quarter. The second turnover here was when she committed the offensive foul with the shoulder & elbow way out top.

Don't get me wrong. If we didn't have Emily playing last night like she did we might have been down by 20 points at halftime.
While, I didn’t really want the turnover, her offensive foul was fun to watch. It was not a flop by the Stanford player, it was a flooring by Ryan.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
While, I didn’t really want the turnover, her offensive foul was fun to watch. It was not a flop by the Stanford player, it was a flooring by Ryan.
I chuckled afterwards. The shoulder ram alone was a foul, and she added the extra elbow to really displace the defender.
It's great fun to see her play bully ball. Maybe do it when you're 3 feet from the basket instead of 30 feet next time :)

And I think she stole the ball right back on the next Stanford possession.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kelsey came back in after that. I think Jaylenn was playing very well and they needed more height so they went with her over kelsey. Unless kelsey tried it and then shut it down.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yup, at the end of the day, we didn't have enough bodies.

We were fine. IMO we tried forcing things inside through Crooks too much. Iriafen and Brink's length created terrible match for her. Our best offense was bringing Crooks away from the basket and using her for screens. This created a ton of open looks and open drives for Ryan. We got a little to stubborn late in regulation in that regard.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I thought it was a "get off my back one of you you have been there all game so take this" and I also loved it!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Emily’s takedown was epic. Her frame always looks so slight, but she must be all muscle.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Kelsey came back in after that. I think Jaylenn was playing very well and they needed more height so they went with her over kelsey. Unless kelsey tried it and then shut it down.
Definitely one of JB's better games! She showed some aggressiveness last night that hasn't always been there.

I still can hardly believe this season was accomplished with 5 freshmen as major contributors! If we can get another Hannah B type sharp shooter next year....watch out!

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Definitely one of JB's better games! She showed some aggressiveness last night that hasn't always been there.

I still can hardly believe this season was accomplished with 5 freshmen as major contributors! If we can get another Hannah B type sharp shooter next year....watch out!
AJ actually has a higher percentage than HB, with the caveat of HB taking 194 3 point attempts to AJ's 92.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I don't know if these were turnovers due to getting tired, or even if they were you take her out. I think it's a lot more of the fact that she had off the chart usage against a really good defensive team.

I don't know how good defensively Stanford's perimeter players are, but you can play a totally different style when you have a good and a great rim protector as your 4 and 5.

I'm not sure AJ and Joens being 100% the whole game changes substitution down the stretch a ton, but maybe they would.

This will be a great learning experience for Audi. She'll probably never face a 4-5 combo like those two ever again in college. But it highlighted one of her areas of growth, which is getting that feel for when to go to the counter-move, when to go over which shoulder, when the DT is coming, etc. She's going to be so damn good next year.

I don't think any of the Fr. were overwhelmed at all by the moment or Stanford's talent. They were able to get a 7 seed with Ryan being back to 100% late in the heart of the Big 12 schedule. Next year is going to be so much fun to watch.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
AJ actually has a higher percentage than HB, with the caveat of HB taking 194 3 point attempts to AJ's 92.

Yeah, Jackson, after starting slow, finished the season shooting 41% from three. Joens was 39%. Brown was 39%. Bristow was 38%. Ryan was 44% (maybe she'll start shooting more). We won't be lacking three point shooters even if we don't pick up another guard from the portal and we are adding Tanke who is good three point shooter (correct?).

Reactions: acoustimac

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I don't know if these were turnovers due to getting tired, or even if they were you take her out. I think it's a lot more of the fact that she had off the chart usage against a really good defensive team.

I don't know how good defensively Stanford's perimeter players are, but you can play a totally different style when you have a good and a great rim protector as your 4 and 5.

I'm not sure AJ and Joens being 100% the whole game changes substitution down the stretch a ton, but maybe they would.

This will be a great learning experience for Audi. She'll probably never face a 4-5 combo like those two ever again in college. But it highlighted one of her areas of growth, which is getting that feel for when to go to the counter-move, when to go over which shoulder, when the DT is coming, etc. She's going to be so damn good next year.

I don't think any of the Fr. were overwhelmed at all by the moment or Stanford's talent. They were able to get a 7 seed with Ryan being back to 100% late in the heart of the Big 12 schedule. Next year is going to be so much fun to watch.
I think the same players would be in crunch time but with less fatigue. For all the griping about Emily dribbling, I think some of her turnovers late were just people not having enough gas to be open for a pass, and Em stops her dribble with no one to get a clean pass to

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Yeah, Jackson, after starting slow, finished the season shooting 41% from three. Joens was 39%. Brown was 39%. Bristow was 38%. Ryan was 44% (maybe she'll start shooting more). We won't be lacking three point shooters even if we don't pick up another guard from the portal and we are adding Tanke who is good three point shooter (correct?).
You are correct. She is a exceptional from deep. This past season she shot 47% from deep and 57% overall. Shoots 81% from the line. I think she’ll do.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls

To clarify, I didn't mean physical fatigue hampered Emily. At the end when she was nailing free throws one of the broadcast crew mentioned that she looked like she'd hardly broken a sweat.
What I was alluding to was that her being the only one running the offense, which is predicated on her running many pick and rolls and looking to execute possession ending passes, causes her total decisions made and overall mental fatigue to increase.

Reactions: riceville98

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron