THE OTHER RECRUITING METHOD

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Come on, Iowa Wildcat. We've taken our share of chances on small town kids & walkons. I was hoping to read about Snyder's witchcraft. A little peek into HOW he develops two star talent into NFL talent. His secret to longevity & beating cancer. Does he possess a sorcerer's book of spells? A magic potion? Fairy dust?? What is it? We want his mojo!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Come on, Iowa Wildcat. We've taken our share of chances on small town kids & walkons. I was hoping to read about Snyder's witchcraft. A little peek into HOW he develops two star talent into NFL talent. His secret to longevity & beating cancer. Does he possess a sorcerer's book of spells? A magic potion? Fairy dust?? What is it? We want his mojo!

He does it by the power of grayskull

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Jessie Ertz is a classic example every Cyclone fan is familiar with perhaps a little too much. Why does he succeed when home state ISU chose to take Lanning instead? Snyder has an eye for raw talent and motivations that other coaches simply miss. God help us when he leaves.

PS: I watched a strong-leg young kicker at Saturday's spring game out of DM Dowling and wondered the same.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Jessie Ertz is a classic example every Cyclone fan is familiar with perhaps a little too much. Why does he succeed when home state ISU chose to take Lanning instead? Snyder has an eye for raw talent and motivations that other coaches simply miss. God help us when he leaves.

PS: I watched a strong-legged young kicker Saturday out of Dowling and wondered the same.

"Jessie" Ertz completed 57% of his passes last year and was 9-4 TD to INT ratio. Ran for 12 TDs

Lanning completed 58% of his passes last year and was 9-3 TD to INT ratio. Ran for 11 TDs

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I'd take Park over Ertz, FWIW.

Edit: I'd also be curious to see what kind of numbers Lanning could have put up on the K-State team that Ertz is on.

Well I mean based on Surly logic Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were a better QB's then Dan Marino since they were QBs on Super Bowl winners.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'd take Park over Ertz, FWIW.

Edit: I'd also be curious to see what kind of numbers Lanning could have put up on the K-State team that Ertz is on.
I'm confident you took Lanning over Ertz as well. I remember the posts back then. Ertz, if he stays healthy, will be special this year and next, as will his team.

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
And Snyder would cheerfully start another over Ertz if Snyder had another QB that was better....he doesn't. Campbell replaced Lanning with Park because Park is better...Campbell had the luxury of doing that.

A more interesting question...if you are trying to truly compare Ertz with Lanning...how would Ertz do at linebacker?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

PS: I watched a strong-leg young kicker at Saturday's spring game out of DM Dowling and wondered the same.
I have to say, I wouldn't call Ertz an great QB by any stretch of the imagination. He actually seems very average, and stats support that notion.

Jessie will be quarterbacking a top 20 team. Lanning will be playing linebacker.
Again, Ertz isn't what makes KSU a great team. He does enough to succeed but he's not competing for a Heisman, nor is he singlehandedly carrying the team on his back. He's doing what is asked of him. A good trait to have, but by no means a special one.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
And Snyder would cheerfully start another over Ertz if Snyder had another QB that was better....he doesn't. Campbell replaced Lanning with Park because Park is better...Campbell had the luxury of doing that.

A more interesting question...if you are trying to truly compare Ertz with Lanning...how would Ertz do at linebacker?
You must have majored in 'false comparatives.'

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I'm confident you took Lanning over Ertz as well. I remember the posts back then. Ertz, if he stays healthy, will be special this year and next, as will his team.
Define "special"?

Like first team all-big 12 for personal awards and 3rd or 4th in the big 12 as a team?