This is pretty interesting politics ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
And how does that affect a Grant of Rights? It seems that this wouldn't even be enforceable if they were dumb enough to go through with it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
LOL where's the popcorn. I am all for that UNC to the Mid-Atlantic or other unknown conference.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
As a Fan of being at 12 teams. I'd like to say "Come on down UNC!"

NC State can find a home in the AAC.

• Funny
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I wonder if the legislature is willing to face the wrath of the taxpayers if they have to start footing the bill for the athletic departments.

That ones easy...there just won't be athletics anymore. LOL

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Guarantee that's just a handful of state legislators trying to score easy points back home with no expectation of this going anywhere at all.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Guarantee that's just a handful of state legislators trying to score easy points back home with no expectation of this going anywhere at all.
It's pretty silly on both sides. The conference should not have penalized UNC for something the people chose to do in their legislature. It was PC gone mad. So, naturally, the rights have to make another needless point for their benefactors, I guess. The SEC would take both Carolina schools and thus move to 16. This would strengthen the Big 12's position dramatically.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It's pretty silly on both sides. The conference should not have penalized UNC for something the people chose to do in their legislature. It was PC gone mad. So, naturally, the rights have to make another needless point for their benefactors, I guess. The SEC would take both Carolina schools and thus move to 16. This would strengthen the Big 12's position dramatically.
Did the NCAA say that no conference games would be held at UNC, or did they pull NCAA tournament games from the state? I don't see that the NCAA punished UNC...more that they punished the state in terms of lost revenue from the tournament games.
I suspect you would think it was less "PC gone mad" if you were an LGBT athlete from another state that would be playing in a game there, and faced with institutionalized homophobia.

Think outside your bubble...

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
By the way, I just looked it up; there are 18 D1 schools in NC, some are private, most are mid-majors, but let's not pretend this is ONLY about UNC (and maybe NC State).

The bill is talking about University of North Carolina and its "constituent institutions" (presumably UNC-W, UNC-C, etc) that are spread across several conferences.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I understand your point. However, this is really about UNC not Duke or directional Carolina. And I believe NC passed a law to solve a problem that didn't exist. It was silly.

The NCAA and conference then piled-on in their typical hypocritical fashion. That's my point. Now the right has to respond. It's like a bunch of girls at the prom caught in the same dress.

It's okay to rape youngsters at Penn State or commit academic fraud at UNC, but not okay for a university(s) - which strongly opposed the bathroom measure - to continue playing games in their home state. Right. It's all so logical.

I must say, your Platte River thought processing is typical of today's America - a mile wide and an inch deep.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I understand your point. However, this is really about UNC not Duke or directional Carolina. And I believe NC passed a law to solve a problem that didn't exist. It was silly.

The NCAA and conference then piled-on in their typical hypocritical fashion. That's my point. Now the right has to respond. It's like a bunch of girls at the prom caught in the same dress.

It's okay to rape youngsters at Penn State or commit academic fraud at UNC, but not okay for a university(s) - which strongly opposed the bathroom measure - to continue playing games in their home state. Right. It's all so logical.

I must say, your Platte River thought processing is typical of today's America - a mile wide and an inch deep.

If you think legally mandated discrimination is just silly then you need to **** the **** off.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

Soo - LINK???
Again, tournament games were withheld. I don't recall anything about UNC not being able to have home games.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I said the law was silly. I think that's been proven fact. No?

I think it's more disturbing than silly. If it doesn't affect you in any way I could see how someone could think it's just silly. Personally I think it's horrendous when someone's rights are being infringed upon.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone