Tire advice - Goodyear vs Kumho

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah, did this a while back for the car, but was searching for used ones. Now gotta put new ones on the SUV. 235-65-18

Our dealership is running a special: buy 4 tires and the fourth only costs $1. It's already there for service, well - repairs from going in the ditch. I knew I needed tires and may as well take advantage of the special.

Basically I am trying to decide between 2 brands...

Goodyear Eagle LS ($640 mounted/balanced)

Kumho Solus KH-16 ($466 mounted/balanced)

The Kumho is a new tire from what I understand. This is a vehicle we're keeping for a while so I don't want to put sub-par tires on it yet I don't want to overpay.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Re: Tire advice - Goodyear vs Kuhmo

I've had Kumho's for the last 2 years (50,000+) and they've held up really well. I'd have no problem going with them.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Re: Tire advice - Goodyear vs Kuhmo

Yeah, did this a while back for the car, but was searching for used ones. Now gotta put new ones on the SUV. 235-65-18

Our dealership is running a special: buy 4 tires and the fourth only costs $1. It's already there for service, well - repairs from going in the ditch. I knew I needed tires and may as well take advantage of the special.

Kuhmo Solus KH-16 ($466 mounted/balanced)

The Kuhmo is a new tire from what I understand. This is a vehicle we're keeping for a while so I don't want to put sub-par tires on it yet I don't want to overpay.

We put Kuhmo's on my wife's Forrester last summer. Have no reason to complain. I've heard a few people who say they like them and another friend of mine is planning putting them on his car.

Got them from Simon Auto downtown - if you want to price compare.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Kumho is not new, they have been around for a bit. Some of the new cars that I have been looking at have their tires. They are rated pretty high on tire rack too.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Found the following review on Kumho...

TireRack.com Tire Reviews - Kumo

And the Goodyear...

TireRack.com Tire Reviews - Goodyear

Oddly enough, people seem to like the Kumho better.

I am most likely going with the dealership as the vehicle is already there, Hummels has the best service of anyone in town and I did price 2 other places and Hummels beat them with their special.

However, normally for tires I would go elsewhere.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've got the Tires for Life deal with Karl's so as long as I keep getting them rotated there every 6000 miles I won't have to worry about this down the road. Probably cost me more to rotate them there obviously but when you are replacing 4 18" Goodyear Eagle tires it's going to save me a pretty penny in the long run.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Kumho Solus KH-16 ($466 mounted/balanced)

The Kumho is a new tire from what I understand. This is a vehicle we're keeping for a while so I don't want to put sub-par tires on it yet I don't want to overpay.

The most important thing is the tread warranty. I just put a pair of uniroyal tires on the front of my beater car. Not the best quality, but they have an 80,000 mile tread warranty. It's something else to consider when buying tires.

bandit

Apr 21, 2006
I've had Kumho's on my 99 Yukon for the last two years and they have been great through all the fun weather of the past two years, I would go with them over the Goodyears anyday

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It is, yet most of the stuff I've read/heard is the manufacturers have plenty of ways to dodge the tread warranty. Some have even gone completely away from such a warranty - Goodyear being one of them.

I think I'm most likely going to put the Kumho's on.

In my research I found the KH16 is developed for the drivers of sporty coupes and sedans.

I found the KR21 that is developed to meet the needs of the drivers of coupes, sedans, minivans and crossover vehicles, which we have a SUV/crossover.

So perhaps the dealership meant the KR21 when he gave me the model.

Last edited:

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
Anything.... and I mean ANYTHING other than "Good-For-A-Year" tires.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sign me up for Kumho. Just another world tire brand.

Bridgestone owns Firestone. Japanese companies are big into tires.

Many years ago I would have said Michelin when they were cheap.

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
I was going to suggest the Bridgestone Dueler H/T, so I went to TireRack to read some of the reviews of that tire and found this:

"I just purchased a used 2006 gmc envoy that had a brand new set of the brigestone ht 2 on it i decided to get on this site and check out the reviews on the tire on wet and snowy roads all the reviews i read were very bad for snow and wet roads just happend to be that it was poring down rain outside when i was reading this review so i decided to go out and see for myself how bad and scary these tires were on wet roads im an experienced driver and have driven all kinds of 4 wheel drive vehicals on and off road since 1977 so i let these tires have my envoy has a 291 hp straight line six vortec engine with plenty of torque and sponke when you put the pedle down i went out into the country in the pouring down rain took off hard and fast from several stop signs while turning hard and could barely get the tires to break traction and couldnt get the back end to fish tail at all and i was in two wheel drive with stabil track turned off then i got up to like 65 to 70 miles an hour and hit podles of water and could get no signs of the hydro planing all the bad reviews talked abought i have not yet got the chance to try the tires out on snow and ice but i will in 2 months or so and update my review the only thing i can figure out abought why everyone else had such bad times on wet roads is that all there tires had like anywhere from like 18000 to 55ooo sounds like these tires show considerable where in most cases by like 25000 miles so naturally if most your tread is gone by 25000 you arnt going to get much traction on anything all i know is my tires with only 500 miles on them done great on wet roads i guess the only bad thing is how long is that great traction going to last maybe only up to 15000 time and mileage will tell ill have to keep you all updated"

I think this guy posts on CF every now and then! :eek:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
my envoy has a 291 hp straight line six vortec engine with plenty of torque and sponke

Actually it has a straight line 5 cylinder engine, not a 6 and it's not a vortec any longer since that is the name for the old 4.3 v6's in them before as well as some of the V8's. Just so you know.....

Get the Kumho, A lot better tire and you are actually paying for the tire and not the tire plus the name for the Good Years.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
You'll be happy. I've been through two sets of them on my pickup and I couldn't be happier.

I'm a Michelin man for cars though.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Actually it has a straight line 5 cylinder engine, not a 6 and it's not a vortec any longer since that is the name for the old 4.3 v6's in them before as well as some of the V8's. Just so you know.....
My wife's Trailblazer had this engine. It said Vortec all over it. GM likes to build up things like Vortec, Z71, or whatever and then pimp it out on everything.

This guy saying it has a lot of sponke is funny. I guess it's all relative.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
The Kumho's are already being put on as we type.

Thanks for the feedback to all!

I put Kumhos on my WRX after the Potenza's that came on it went bad after 16,000 miles. The Kumhos were less than the new Bridgestones even after the prorated warranty. I got new Kumho's ecsta ASXs (all season high speed tire) for $400 installed and free rotations for the life of the tire from a local place.

I've been very happy with the Kumhos. I'd buy them again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron