Todd the Axeman (head brewer) leaves Surly Brewing

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Damn, that sucks. Was just there this weekend showing my parents around the brewery scene in NorthEast. Surly was their favorite solely because the had so many quality beers on tap compared to the others. Although Surly is not my favorite, it is definitely up there because of the high quality of a large number of beers

What was the reasoning for his leaving? I didn't read the article :D

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Damn, that sucks. Was just there this weekend showing my parents around the brewery scene in NorthEast. Surly was their favorite solely because the had so many quality beers on tap compared to the others. Although Surly is not my favorite, it is definitely up there because of the high quality of a large number of beers

What was the reasoning for his leaving? I didn't read the article :D
Just to pursue other opportunities. Doesn't go into specifics

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Say it ain't so, Joe.
45e252091eae41518624f38e6da43723.jpg

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Sounds like he left on good terms. Surly put out a pretty complimentary release and most of the workers have been saying pretty cool stuff today online too.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I had the pleasure to meet Todd a couple of years ago and had a great conversation with him about his band and the metal scene. What a nice guy, he will be missed.

Although Surly isn't my favorite brewery to visit in the Cities, they are hands down putting out the best brew. Furious is possibly the G.O.A.T.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
His wife left the company at the start of the year. I'm going to take a wild stab that he will start his own brewery.

On a side note, Todd the Axeman is delicious and I just bought a bottle of Darkness that I can't wait to open. Surly defintely does it right.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
His wife left the company at the start of the year. I'm going to take a wild stab that he will start his own brewery.

On a side note, Todd the Axeman is delicious and I just bought a bottle of Darkness that I can't wait to open. Surly defintely does it right.

The rumor mill kinda said that she was "let go."

Current rumor mill doesn't say that about Todd, so it'll be interesting to see what comes.

Hopefully good things come to them both, now. :)

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Todd the Axeman will be brewing at Three Floyds in South Bend, Indiana. I think that is an awesome choice for him. They have some of the most unique and flavorful beers that I've had. Also, they are a bunch of people that seem to be like Todd. Big fan of TFB and glad he chose a place that I am still able to get some of his beer.

Alpha King is one of my favorite beers of all time, and I drank it for the first time solely because of their label. (Three Floyds has some of the most unique labels for their beers as well, really cool)

Here is Alpha King, for those who have never seen it.

tumblr_ni4q1iAOoT1qzgzl4o1_1280.jpg

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see someone posted an article about him joining 3floyds. My bad.

Last edited: