Todd the Axeman (head brewer) leaves Surly Brewing

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I would find this highly doubtful. Every time I've talked with folks from Surly, they've got a pretty negative view of Big Beer.

I don't know whether they're considering a sale or not, but what the folks from Surly think is probably not relevant. If one guy owns the company, his vote is the only one that matters.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I don't know whether they're considering a sale or not, but what the folks from Surly think is probably not relevant. If one guy owns the company, his vote is the only one that matters.
One of the people I was talking about was the owner. Omar. I've been lucky enough to have a handful of conversations with him.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Nothing to add to the topic other than I had Surly Coffee Bender for the first time a couple of weeks ago and is probably a top 5 all-time beer of mine now. Which is strange because I'm not a hop person at all so most of Surly's offerings don't interest me. But holy cow is Coffee Bender good.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Nothing to add to the topic other than I had Surly Coffee Bender for the first time a couple of weeks ago and is probably a top 5 all-time beer of mine now. Which is strange because I'm not a hop person at all so most of Surly's offerings don't interest me. But holy cow is Coffee Bender good.

Coffee Bender isn't remotely hoppy, so that makes sense. It's excellent,

Am I the only one that thinks 3 Floyds is mildly overrated and that Surly at it's best was better? I like 3 Floyds a lot (love the atmosphere/food at the tap room for sure), but I don't think it stands clearly above. I do think a lot of that had to do with Todd, so maybe that script will flip for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Coffee Bender isn't remotely hoppy, so that makes sense. It's excellent,

Am I the only one that thinks 3 Floyds is mildly overrated and that Surly at it's best was better? I like 3 Floyds a lot (love the atmosphere/food at the tap room for sure), but I don't think it stands clearly above. I do think a lot of that had to do with Todd, so maybe that script will flip for me.
I think Todd wanted to stay "surly". When I started drinking Surly, they were making beers not everyone wanted. This of course was before craft beer really blew up, but they weren't marketed to the masses. With the new brewery, expanded distribution, and growth of craft beer, Surly's direction has definitely shifted. Beers like Xtra Citra make that incredibly clear.

One thing 3Floyds has always done is stuck to their guns. They'll make some odd beer that may just suck, but people will line up and buy it because of the name. I'm guessing Todd wanted the freedom to be able to brew what he wants to brew and not have to worry about making everyone happy.

Also, I think 3Floyds has been pretty vocal about not growing as a company in the beer market. In Indiana once you top X number of barrels, you jump up into the big boys tax bracket and it's not something which would make financial sense. At least that's how I understand it. Like you said, they've got an awesome atmosphere, people still shell out $200 for a diabetes-bomb beer/festival, and line up whenever Zombie Dust hits the To-Go window.

Reactions: AmesHawk

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think Todd wanted to stay "surly". When I started drinking Surly, they were making beers not everyone wanted. This of course was before craft beer really blew up, but they weren't marketed to the masses. With the new brewery, expanded distribution, and growth of craft beer, Surly's direction has definitely shifted. Beers like Xtra Citra make that incredibly clear.

One thing 3Floyds has always done is stuck to their guns. They'll make some odd beer that may just suck, but people will line up and buy it because of the name. I'm guessing Todd wanted the freedom to be able to brew what he wants to brew and not have to worry about making everyone happy.

Also, I think 3Floyds has been pretty vocal about not growing as a company in the beer market. In Indiana once you top X number of barrels, you jump up into the big boys tax bracket and it's not something which would make financial sense. At least that's how I understand it. Like you said, they've got an awesome atmosphere, people still shell out $200 for a diabetes-bomb beer/festival, and line up whenever Zombie Dust hits the To-Go window.

This pretty much nails it.

My Surly consumption has gone waaaaay down recently. Granted having a constant cache of employee perk TG in the house and having Pulpit Rock in the back yard has more to do with that than any fault of Surly's. I still see a clear shift in Surly's focus, which I understand from their perspective, but has lessened my interest in the product. That and price.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
3 Floyds has some good/great beer but if you ever visit their taproom, plan on hating them.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

My Surly consumption has gone waaaaay down recently. Granted having a constant cache of employee perk TG in the house and having Pulpit Rock in the back yard has more to do with that than any fault of Surly's. I still see a clear shift in Surly's focus, which I understand from their perspective, but has lessened my interest in the product. That and price.
SIL is spending this week in Decorah and is refilling my growler from TG. I've never been so excited for Christmas.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
SIL is spending this week in Decorah and is refilling my growler from TG. I've never been so excited for Christmas.

Pulpit has a few crowlers for sale right (at least they did last night). Have her grab some of that, too. TG should have some bottles available to boot.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Why do you say that? I was more impressed with them after my visit there. I didn't go for a big bottle day, just stopped for lunch and a couple beers.

Maybe they were just having a bad day but the two employees I dealt with at the entrance were both pretty rude. The bartender was friendly though. Part of the problem is that they are always swamped and the place is pretty small.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
3 Floyds has some good/great beer but if you ever visit their taproom, plan on hating them.
I'm guessing you're not a metal fan/can't tolerate it? I've been a handful of times and I've had mixed experiences. Everything from amazing bartenders willing to talk to you and give you free coasters (they sell them in the to-go area), to bartenders refusing to fill water from their pop gun because that is what a server is for. Overall though, I've had good experiences and I've thoroughly enjoyed the food every time.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you ever get a chance, try the cacoa Bender, even better than the coffee.

Reactions: cycloneworld

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

We'll be up the 13th. Staying in Waukon I think but coming to town for the festivities. Think I'll be sitting at TBocks in the morning then Pulpit after that. Didn't get a ticket...yet, but still plan on heading that way.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We'll be up the 13th. Staying in Waukon I think but coming to town for the festivities. Think I'll be sitting at TBocks in the morning then Pulpit after that. Didn't get a ticket...yet, but still plan on heading that way.

IMO, unless you were planning on straight up selling your bottles, you'll be better off this way. You'll get plenty of chances to drink Assassin, and Pulpit will put out something crazy that day. You won't need a ticket to get into TG after they open to the public, and I don't think they're doing pours during the bottle pick up shifts.

Don't miss the share at Courtyard and Cellar if it fits your timeline.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron