Top Shelf Whiskey made in days?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Interesting story: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/business/bespoken-whiskey-launch/index.html

We all know the best whiskeys are barrel aged for several years and not surprised people are trying technology to speed up the process now.

Tim Smith tried aging his moonshine using some charred wood and electric current. I actually had a bottle of his wood fired whiskey once and while it was not top shelf it was not crap either. I would probably rate it better than your mass produced whiskeys like Jim Beam and Jack Daniels but not as good as a small batch craft like Cedar Ridge. I'm guessing we will see more distilleries and breweries trying to find new ways to use technology to speed up some of their aging processes to produce their products.

Like some things you may never be able to replicate the product as you would by following traditional ways of making it but for start up distilleries and breweries if you can find ways to "cut some corners" and turn a profit sooner I don't blame them for trying. Especially for spirits that usually take several years to age to make a quality product you have to have a lot of overhead and debt to take on from the start before you ever have a product for sale and imagine the defeat if your finished product flops and you are sitting on at least 5 years of product that is current or has been aging that you can't get rid of.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Interesting story: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/business/bespoken-whiskey-launch/index.html

We all know the best whiskeys are barrel aged for several years and not surprised people are trying technology to speed up the process now.

Tim Smith tried aging his moonshine using some charred wood and electric current. I actually had a bottle of his wood fired whiskey once and while it was not top shelf it was not crap either. I would probably rate it better than your mass produced whiskeys like Jim Beam and Jack Daniels but not as good as a small batch craft like Cedar Ridge. I'm guessing we will see more distilleries and breweries trying to find new ways to use technology to speed up some of their aging processes to produce their products.

Like some things you may never be able to replicate the product as you would by following traditional ways of making it but for start up distilleries and breweries if you can find ways to "cut some corners" and turn a profit sooner I don't blame them for trying. Especially for spirits that usually take several years to age to make a quality product you have to have a lot of overhead and debt to take on from the start before you ever have a product for sale and imagine the defeat if your finished product flops and you are sitting on at least 5 years of product that is current or has been aging that you can't get rid of.

I’m surprised no one has thought of that before

Help Support Us

Become a patron