TU Football lockers.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Company manufacturer sales video giving features and benefits. Gotta admit. This has got to be a good business. Major universities tripping over each other in a race to see who can find the next "gotta have it, now". (Remember how important video scoreboards were way back, last year.)

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/topic/14483-new-lockers-video-incredible/
The doors open manually? I'm surprised they didn't put sort of fingerprint scanner on it so they could just walk up and touch their finger to it to get it to open automatically

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm not a pay the players guy (because unlike Texas, most schools couldn't actually afford it) but crap like this is pretty hard to justify

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Meanwhile, my wife's social sciences department at UT -- whose classes are taken by a lot of football players -- had to eat a 30% budget cut.
My brother is a professor at Wyoming and he is not happy with how much they are paying the football coach considering he hasn't had a raise in a while. Any time he gets an email from the coaching staff asking how a player is doing his response is they're getting paid enough to do it themselves.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not a pay the players guy (because unlike Texas, most schools couldn't actually afford it) but crap like this is pretty hard to justify

This is my biggest fear of the whole idea. Schools with the big money will suddenly again be able to make a big difference with that last 10-20 million they make rather than those dollars being just a small advantage over other P5 schools. Texas is just waiting for a change like that to suck the first $20 million out of everyone's budget.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
When the day comes when you have to pay players, it will be followed by a massive round of realignment. So many lower level schools run in the red, I think a few would drop to FCS.

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I hate Texa$ just as much as the next Clone fan. But we'd all by tripping over our jaws if Campbell had put these in his locker rooms.

It would be interesting to know how much they cost. LED panels are dirt cheap nowadays but that probably didn't translate into this

An article I read said they are $10,500 each :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: NickTheGreat

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Those poor student athletes are so taken advantage of by the University. Not only do they only get free tuition and monthly stipends that keep increasing, they have to deal with these working/ living conditions.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
This is my biggest fear of the whole idea. Schools with the big money will suddenly again be able to make a big difference with that last 10-20 million they make rather than those dollars being just a small advantage over other P5 schools. Texas is just waiting for a change like that to suck the first $20 million out of everyone's budget.
I doubt that any "pay the players" model approved by the ncaa would allow different rates to be paid by different schools. The bulk of the ncaa member schools are not big revenue generators like Texas. They would never vote for a Wild, Wild West model of recruit free agency.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
UT lockers probably not found amongst coach Snyder's 16 values. I heard Herman on radio this week. A bit of a blowhard.

"Administrations win championships,” Herman said. “I’ve been told yes for everything I’ve asked for, from the renovations to this building that we’re in, from anywhere to graphics to locker rooms to the weight room to the support staff.

“To our administration’s credit, they’ve said, ‘Coach, what do you need?’ Obviously, the first thing we needed was an updated locker room. So, again, if we’re going to do it, we’re going to do it as big and better than anybody in the country.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/cfb/5-figure-price-tag-means-texas-does-not-have-hurt-lockers/

Last edited:
Reactions: isutrevman

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
UT lockers probably not found amongst coach Snyder's 16 values. I heard Herman on radio this week. A bit of a blowhard.

"Administrations win championships,” Herman said.
“I’ve been told yes for everything I’ve asked for, from the renovations to this building that we’re in, from anywhere to graphics to locker rooms to the weight room to the support staff.

“To our administration’s credit, they’ve said, ‘Coach, what do you need?’ Obviously, the first thing we needed was an updated locker room. So, again, if we’re going to do it, we’re going to do it as big and better than anybody in the country.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/cfb/5-figure-price-tag-means-texas-does-not-have-hurt-lockers/

Ah, the joys (and advantages) of donors with DEEP pockets. Didn't help Charlie Strong much though...

• Agree
Reactions: surly

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I doubt that any "pay the players" model approved by the ncaa would allow different rates to be paid by different schools. The bulk of the ncaa member schools are not big revenue generators like Texas. They would never vote for a Wild, Wild West model of recruit free agency.
You misunderstood what I was saying. If everyone pays the same to players in all sports, it is going to be a much bigger hit to an athletic budget of $60M than to a budget of $200M. It will essentially be skimming the fat off of the larger budget but cutting into needed funds in the smaller budget.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You misunderstood what I was saying. If everyone pays the same to players in all sports, it is going to be a much bigger hit to an athletic budget of $60M than to a budget of $200M. It will essentially be skimming the fat off of the larger budget but cutting into needed funds in the smaller budget.

It also opens the door for boosters to start handing out money more freely. Right now, if you see a player driving a nice car or having more than a little cash to spend, it's a red flag that they are doing something illegal or getting money from someone. Once players are paid there will be boosters lining up to do something extra to get their team over the top with the best recruits and players. It's already rampant with SEC schools and will only get worse once it's ok to pay players.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My guess is he never asked for the money, upgrades. No one, not the admin, certainly not the players, saw him as being a winner, hence he never was.
OMG, that's horrible revisionism. Everyone was 'gushing' over tough guy Strong cleaning up the softness that was Mack Brown Longhorn football. He was a can't miss going into that job.

"Strong is the perfect hire for Texas right now, because he happens to be one of the most driven, respected and smart coaches in football ... Something tells me Texas football and the entire athletic department just got a menacing makeover it sorely needed."

https://texas.rivals.com/news/why-charlie-strong-is-the-right-choice-for-texas

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My guess is he never asked for the money, upgrades. No one, not the admin, certainly not the players, saw him as being a winner, hence he never was.
I have a lot of family in Texas, mostly Aggies, but a few Longhorns as well. I love the state...but the biggest downside to Texas (and by extension, to UT) is the cabal of ranchers & oil men who run things as much as they can. Let's just say that there were a lot of people surprised when Strong was hired because he was just a bit too "melanin heavy" for those good ol' boys holding the purse strings.