intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Wow. At his first press conference Sark claims players will proudly sing "The Eyes of Texas". Pretty bold statement considering he has not met with team. If I were in his shoes I'd walk gingerly around this topic until he gets a feel for the team. That comment may come back to bite him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rns-the-eyes-of-texas-school-song/6649392002/
Herman said publicly that he wasn't going to make the team do this. Lots of donors were enraged by that, especially when after the game (forget which week) Ehlinger was the only out there singing it.

Not hard to see this is probably one of the reasons boosters both pushed Herman out and got Sark in.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm willing to bet his new employer made this talking point very clear to him. Probably figures on it being easier to win over ****** off players than winning over ****** off donors/administration.

I totally agree with this comment about the boosters. With all the loosened up transfer rules this may cause some issues in the locker-room.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I posted about this in the TX fires Herman thread. I 100% believe this is a move to appease boosters and admin but at what cost? Seems like he could have made a little bit more of a political statement than what he did.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: tzjung and Gorm

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Why would Sark make this the starting point when it's such a contentious issue within the Texas athletics department? :rolleyes:
Because he got fired in the airport. ADs don't do that unless the big check writers demand it and those are the people that expect AA players sing this racist tune because it's tradition.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There are ways to say things and ways to avoid doing so. His statement is senseless in that regard.

"I understand the importance of this song to the University of Texas. I also understand the background issues that are problematic for some of our players. Together, as a university and athletic program, we need to understand how best to move forward. Next question?"

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
There are ways to say things and ways to avoid doing so. His statement is senseless in that regard.

"I understand the importance of this song to the University of Texas. I also understand the background issues that are problematic for some of our players. Together, as a university and athletic program, we need to understand how best to move forward. Next question?"
Yeah there are about 20 statements someone could come up with in under 10 minutes that were much better than what he said.

Reactions: surly

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Show your work

The Eyes of Texas used to be performed by white musicians wearing blackface. Black student athletes took issue with this and started refusing to sing it, wealthy white donors took offense and demanded a coach that would reinstate the tradition.

I don’t think abstaining singing The Eyes of Texas is a deal breaker, but apparently there are those who think differently.