NBA: Tyrese Haliburton: NBA (& Pacers) record setter

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
He's roughly made 12 mil so far. 5.8 mil next year.
Then 2024 he's a restricted free agent, meaning Pacers can match any "best" offer if they don't resign him before that. He's staring down a BIG contract next year. BIG.

My understanding is he’s eligible to sign a contract extension with Indiana by approximately October this year (not allowed to talk to other teams as a restricted). For this extension, he’s basically a lock to get the max allowed contract, which I believe is something like $180 million over 5 years. If he makes an All NBA team he could be eligible for a super max contract which is like $200+ million over 5 years

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My understanding is he’s eligible to sign a contract extension with Indiana by approximately October this year (not allowed to talk to other teams as a restricted). For this extension, he’s basically a lock to get the max allowed contract, which I believe is something like $180 million over 5 years. If he makes an All NBA team he could be eligible for a super max contract which is like $200+ million over 5 years
Yep

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was thinking of other players who might have come close but it's really hard to find a decent shooter who also averages 10 assists. Curry had a 20 and 8.5. Stockton never scored over 18 ppg. Harden never close to 40%

It's a really hard thing to do when you think about it. Most perimeter players who average over 20ppg are going to do it by sharing the ball less or taking some 3s that aren't the greatest shots.

Somebody mentioned Trae Young...he could probably shoot closer to 40% from 3, but not while keeping that career 25ppg average.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's a really hard thing to do when you think about it. Most perimeter players who average over 20ppg are going to do it by sharing the ball less or taking some 3s that aren't the greatest shots.

Somebody mentioned Trae Young...he could probably shoot closer to 40% from 3, but not while keeping that career 25ppg average.
Trae plays zero D.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Incredible, the career he is having. I don't think even the biggest Cyclone homer on earth would have predicted this level of success.
From day 1 I felt like he just "got" it.

But no shot I could have dreamed of the kind of player he's been and become. Just so good off the court, too.

Reactions: exCYtable

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Hate to break it to you but Hali’s defense is also pretty trash. Like in college he’s good at using his length to jump passing lanes for steals but that’s about the extent of it.
Which is fine, honestly. He'll continue to improve but he's not gonna be a Kawhi type guy. And it's not gonna stop him from getting the max.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Hate to break it to you but Hali’s defense is also pretty trash. Like in college he’s good at using his length to jump passing lanes for steals but that’s about the extent of it.
I'm not entirely sure that's a good summary of his defense. The pacers are a below average defensive team as a whole and Tyrese is barely off average for the team. He isn't great on-ball but he has improved and he is pretty good off the ball and in passing lanes.

PredominantISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2014
I'm not entirely sure that's a good summary of his defense. The pacers are a below average defensive team as a whole and Tyrese is barely off average for the team. He isn't great on-ball but he has improved and he is pretty good off the ball and in passing lanes.
That’s fair. His defensive efficiency is a touch below league PG average (118 vs 115) but neither the pacers or the kings were trying to win with elite defense. As a poster said earlier few players are going to be elite at both D and O and at this point TH is a good scorer, a great shooter and an elite passer/playmaker with elite efficiency. No doubt that makes him a top tier player who is going to get and deserve a max contract.

Cherry on top he’s a highly marketable charismatic guy and seems like a really popular teammate. Super proud we’re able to claim Tyrese as a Cyclone.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Buy stock in the Pacers. Lots of good young talent.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron