UConn Done

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
UConn's record 111-game winning streak ended Friday when Mississippi State pulled off perhaps the biggest upset in women's basketball history, shocking the Huskies 66-64 on an OT buzzer-beater.

We played well against MSU. Though we were disappointed with the season, I think this shows we're not as far from being a good team as some may think.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This game showed how important Free throw shooting is. Had UConn mead all theirs and MSU done the same UConn wins by 5 points. All our players need to be taking lessons from Bridgett as she was 92 out of 98 for the season.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I was so glad MSU pulled this off. Down the stretch UCONN was just playing awful basketball and couldn't make anything and were turning it over, etc, but MSU wasn't playing much better and weren't taking advantage of it.

But when they tried to hand the game to UCONN at the end by going back in time and calling a flagrant foul on MSU and giving UCONN 2 FTs and the ball back on a play that was a total flop job by the UCONN player, then I really wanted MSU to pull it out.

The announcers said the MSU player elbowed the UCONN player in the throat, even after looking at the replay, when clearly the MSU's players hand just brushed her chin accidentally and the UCONN player flails back like she's been cold cocked by Mike Tyson and then grabs her throat while laying on the ground when her throat was never touched. I thought it was REALLY bad. As you can tell, it didn't make me happy.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I was so glad MSU pulled this off. Down the stretch UCONN was just playing awful basketball and couldn't make anything and were turning it over, etc, but MSU wasn't playing much better and weren't taking advantage of it.

But when they tried to hand the game to UCONN at the end by going back in time and calling a flagrant foul on MSU and giving UCONN 2 FTs and the ball back on a play that was a total flop job by the UCONN player, then I really wanted MSU to pull it out.

The announcers said the MSU player elbowed the UCONN player in the throat, even after looking at the replay, when clearly the MSU's players hand just brushed her chin accidentally and the UCONN player flails back like she's been cold cocked by Mike Tyson and then grabs her throat while laying on the ground when her throat was never touched. I thought it was REALLY bad. As you can tell, it didn't make me happy.

Guess you haven't watched much basketball this past season. Players in a number of games could have won Academy awards. There were even some other flops in this game that were not called. I was glad that the team that played the best won this game. MSU made the plays when they needed to and deserved the win.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, Lou grabbed her chin then mouth then went oh my neck. Just glad it didn't cost msu the game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Guess you haven't watched much basketball this past season. Players in a number of games could have won Academy awards. There were even some other flops in this game that were not called. I was glad that the team that played the best won this game. MSU made the plays when they needed to and deserved the win.

So because flops happen a lot during the game, that makes it ok for the refs to look at a video and "see" something that isn't there? Got it.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
This was very good for women's basketball. I think even Geno realized it. I gained a respect for him after this game i'd never had before. The way he handled himself was exemplary. Think of Kim Mulkey in a similar situation. Not even close. I think he also realizes this is good for his young players going forward. They will be just as tough gping forward, but they know they can be beat. Others also know tbat too. Had this streak gone on much longer even ESPN would have lost interest in their home state team.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
So because flops happen a lot during the game, that makes it ok for the refs to look at a video and "see" something that isn't there? Got it.

No you you don't get it. I don't like flops and I for one don't think that refs should be able to go back and look at a replay except right after the play. When NO FOUL was called at the time I don't think it should have been reviewed when it was. The video review IMO is a cop out for officials missing a call and then reviewing it later in the game. Video review should only be allowed right after a play takes place and some may not like this but I don't think they should go back after a couple plays to see if a shot was a 2 or a 3.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
There were several missed calls late; like where UConn's Gabby Williams was called for her fourth on the Miss State drive to the hole with 2-3 minutes left; there was no contact at all as the replay showed. UConn was up 3 at the time and would have gotten the ball back...

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It wasn't a consistent called game one way or another. Both got their fair share of bad calls.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Title game an ugly one. Didn't realize how badly the women's game needs UConn.

No we did not need UCONN in the Championship. It was a good if ugly change.

What was interesting though the one player who turned Geno down was A'ja Wilson. She would have been the key to an easy ride to another UCONN crown. She stayed home to play for SC. Good for her.

Geno has most of his players back next year and more super recruits so things maybe back to "normal" in 2018.

Reactions: acoustimac