University Village

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Like it?

Couple concerns:

• DSL, really? What are internet speeds like?
  • Ample parking or is it like the dorms where very few actually get a permit nearby?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I lived there for my last semester since I was graduating in the fall and didn't want to deal with a whole year lease. I don't remember the Internet being an issue but I didn't spend a lot of time there. If parking is still the same, there is always a spot available.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I live in UV my last semester as well, Student Taught in the fall. I liked it ok. Internet was never really a problem, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time there like Spiker.

I liked having the upstairs for the bedroom and downstairs for the living area. It served its purpose. They are pretty old, so there is that problem. But overall I liked living there.

Get big rug for the bedroom if you don't like your feet stepping on cold floors in the morning.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
While I have not lived there, I have known a couple people who did live there while in grad school. They both liked it ok. There was never a problem with parking that I knew of, even for visitors. If it's just you, the space is more than adequate with two bedrooms and the bath upstairs and livingroom/kitchen downstairs. CyRide makes it easy to get to and from campus.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Lived there my last year. If you're out that way with a group of friends it's fine, but if it's just you, it might get kinda boring since there isn't much to do or that way.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Couple of my buddies live there right now. It's fine for just one or two people. The apartments are small but enough to get by. I haven't heard much about the internet speed (DSL isn't necessarily a bad thing, DSL speed is directly proportional to the spoke's distance from the hub. It's also fairly reliable). Parking seems to be fine there. Only major complaint I hear is that the walls are thin, so people being loud can be annoying, but that's pretty much true with anywhere.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
You get to buy a permit for parking and there are usually enough visitor spots.

Did they switch Internet there? Lived there a year and played Halo about 10 hours a day and never had problems.

Only thing that wasn't so great is you have one layer of brick wall between you and your neighbors so you can hear a lot. Maybe not casual conversation but noises like alarm clocks could be heard easily through the wall.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Son lived in Schilleter during a summer as part of internship, also was DSL. No problems with internet or parking but it was summer. It's pretty quiet out there actually but he wound up meeting all of his neighbors, and it was kind of nice to go grill outside with everyone in the courtyard. Probably fine if you know someone out there or are social, otherwise might be a little quiet.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Lived there my last year. If you're out that way with a group of friends it's fine, but if it's just you, it might get kinda boring since there isn't much to do or that way.

How long ago did you live there? I only ask because Somerset has several restaurants and bars and isn't far away. Most UV residents are grad or international, no?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Depending on how long ago you were here....Somerset has built up quite a bit over the last 5-10 years. More eateries, more bars, a large Fareway, etc...

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think it was mostly grad students and kids from China when I was a student.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Lived there for 3 years (fall 2011 - Spring 2014).

- Cheapest rent in town
- Right on the blue route (plenty of buses in the morning)
- It comes with cable/internet - the DSL is as fast as it is in the dorms (it's part of the university network)
- Gas through Alliant
- Electric was only like $5-$10 a month. I believe it is from the power plant on campus.
- Good size for two people
- Also across from Veenker (awesome)

* Also, if you find yourself without a roommate, you don't pick up the whole tab like you do with other apartments. The housing department just charges you a specific amount regardless of roommate situation. One semester my roommate had to bolt because of a Co-Op. They didn't move anybody into the space and I had the whole place to myself for ~$280/month. It was awesome.

Last edited:

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I worked maintenance for SUV when in college and you just need to be aware of where you are getting your apartment because it really is about layout. Avoid garden and get a townhouse as the Garden's feel incredibly cramped at times. Biggest issue I had working there were all the Cicada Killers and sandbox wasp hives. If you look at the map, aim for the buildings near to the maintenance warehouse in the south east. Pretty much anything along Stotts Road and the apartments surrounding lot 201M and lot 201N on the east side were always nice, bonus is the community garden right there. If you're not into pets then aim for 117ish

Schilletter was always highly family oriented and quite honestly the apartments when I was there 10 years ago were a dump so I wouldn't imagine things got better.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My wife lived there for 2 years (August 2010- May 2012). It worked out pretty darn well for her. It beats the dorms without the high costs of other apartments. You get what you pay for but if you are not looking for frills then this is an excellent choice. The internet was never an issue.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron