US Open

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Not because of lack of effort. He comes so close in these big tourneys

I wish I could have seen it. Or any of his matches for that matter. You mentioned his attack rate earlier..Probably benefits having Metcalf in the room. It should only make his offense more relentless.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
He has always had a high attack rate.
I should have said even more than it is already. Kid's good. Our lighter weights will definitely be the building block to greater things. Why didn't Baptista compete? I could have sworn I saw he was one of the freshman wrestling this weekend.

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I should have said even more than it is already. Kid's good. Our lighter weights will definitely be the building block to greater things. Why didn't Baptista compete? I could have sworn I saw he was one of the freshman wrestling this weekend.

He has always been aggressive (emphasis on "has" not "always" when reading that...I'm not being contentious). I think this staff will push him to, and beyond, his limits from a conditioning standpoint, and improve his defense (which isn't bad now).

If he can handle the coaching, which I think he can because he seems very strong mentally, he's going to be special.

Reactions: howellc33

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
So it looks like...

Vega didn't place, but lost to the runner-up and the 3rd place kid. Mattin (3rd place kid) beat Vega 9-9 on criteria, so a close match there. If I remember right, Vega didn't have a ton of freestyle credentials (5th at Fargo last year), and seems to be better at folk.

Briar Cochran won a match, lost to the 5th place kid and the 7th place kid.

Brenden Baker won a match on the backside.

Parker didn't have a great tournmanent. He won a match, lost to Deakin (the champ) but then got 10-0'd by another kid on the backside. Probably still a little undersized.

Storr is obviously a stud. Would've liked to see him wrestle Carter Happel, but Happel was upset early in the tournament. Storr did TF another Iowa kid, Keegan Shaw, and then beat Pat Lugo in the semis. Lugo was a R12 guy two NCAA tourneys ago, and this year he was the 8 seed, but went 1-2. Both of those years he was at 149. Storr is still a 141, and 66 kg is more than 145 pounds, so he's wrestling naturally bigger guys too. Deakin was also a 149 pounder this last year, and got 3rd at Midlands, along with beating a 2x Cadet World Gold medalist in Yianni D. No matter what, Storr keeps piling up big-time wins.

Colbray lost a match earlier in the tournament on criteria, but then ended up placing higher than that guy. He beat Ben Darmstadt 13-2, and Flo has Darmstadt pegged as Cornell's starter at 197 for next year. Next, Colbray beat Chase Singletary, who is the #1 HS kid at 220, and the #7 P4P kid in the country. Then he beat Kyle Snyder's younger brother 10-1 to get 3rd. Very nice to see this performance out of Colbray.

Gremmel lost a high scoring match in the first round. I can't watch these matches, but I saw somebody say he was up and then gassed late. Not a huge surprise, since he hasn't wrestled in a while. He then won a match 24-14 (!) and then won two more, including an 18-7 win over the #7 HS kid. He lost to the #6 HS kid, who got 4th, to finish his tournament.

Just thought I'd put this together for people to get a quick summary of the tournament. Definitely some mixed results, but that should be expected in an offseason freestyle tournament with some really good wrestlers there. Excited to see what next season brings.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Also, HS juniors, seniors to be next year:

Alex Thomsen lost by tech fall to someone he won by tech fall on the front side, to take 4th.

David Carr lost in the semis at 70 kg and forfeited in the 5th place match to take 6th. Not sure what happened but unfortunate as it seems he must have been hurt.

Furthermore . . .

Former ISU recruit now going to Minnesota, Jake Allar, took 6th at 74 kg.

Article, overall results, picture and more on Okie State recruit Daton Fix, who defeated Alex Thomsen in the semis and went on to win 55 kg:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/April/29/UWW-Junior-Freestyle-Finals

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Thankfully, I was able to see most of Kyven's match on Flo, and it wasn't really close. Otherwise, Flo's video coverage this weekend and especially today--if and when you can get it--has been a constant exercise in frustration. I bought it for events like this, but they continue to disappoint. I probably will not renew.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Excellent result for Kevin and a generally strong showing by ISU's younger talent. This just might warrant an article by CF!

It is absolutely important the we keep guys like Gadsen and Bradley in Ames. The bring legitimacy to the RTC enterprise and our ability to train the upper weights.

Congratulations to Kyven!!!

I bet he is psyched for World Team Trials.

This page at Flo is posting finals results as they go and have a pretty complete list of all senior level results below:
http://www.flowrestling.org/result/9961-2017-us-open-senior-men-s-freestyle-results#.WQVNKYFOmEf

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
In other events, Sammy Sasso wrestled in the
2017 Phil Portuese NE Regional - FS

He won the 152 pound division with 5 10-0 TF.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron