Verkleren's top 3

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Not sure if Minny is in the running for Verkleeren or not, but I think there is a good chance Jarod doesn't end up at Iowa State. I hope I am wrong. I also hope we hear news about Ethan Smith staying put as well.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Not sure if Minny is in the running for Verkleeren or not, but I think there is a good chance Jarod doesn't end up at Iowa State. I hope I am wrong. I also hope we hear news about Ethan Smith staying put as well.
I hope he comes as well. ISU has the scholarship money. His twitter feed is basically half shout outs to Kanen Storr. Those two are near the same weight, and will be pushing each other in the room every day. Storr is excited about Dresser. I just think the situation is too good for us not to be in this. Allar was never really thinking of coming. I just don't know where people are getting this great connection. They may show up at the national events together, but that can be said about a ton of high level wrestlers. Allar seemed like the flyer in this class, one of those guys you take if he wanted to come but never expected to be here. I am just not sure how he built this great connection with the other guys who were in this class.

All I can say is I hope Dresser at least gets a chance to try and recruit him back if he sees him with a future at ISU. He and Storr could turn each other into champions with the proper tutelage.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I hope he comes as well. ISU has the scholarship money. His twitter feed is basically half shout outs to Kanen Storr. Those two are near the same weight, and will be pushing each other in the room every day. Storr is excited about Dresser. I just think the situation is too good for us not to be in this. Allar was never really thinking of coming. I just don't know where people are getting this great connection. They may show up at the national events together, but that can be said about a ton of high level wrestlers. Allar seemed like the flyer in this class, one of those guys you take if he wanted to come but never expected to be here. I am just not sure how he built this great connection with the other guys who were in this class.

All I can say is I hope Dresser at least gets a chance to try and recruit him back if he sees him with a future at ISU. He and Storr could turn each other into champions with the proper tutelage.
Definitely want him and really hope Dresser can talk him into sticking with his commitment. Having said that, I have a really good feeling about Leisure basically for the same reasons you listed for Verkleeren. Now I'm not expecting him to be a NC by any means but I really think he's the type of guy who will eventually exceed expectations for us and just might blow them out of the water. Obviously better to get the top ranked guy as well as the top 15 guy but I'm just trying to look at the positive side if he does wind up going elsewhere.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Definitely want him and really hope Dresser can talk him into sticking with his commitment. Having said that, I have a really good feeling about Leisure basically for the same reasons you listed for Verkleeren. Now I'm not expecting him to be a NC by any means but I really think he's the type of guy who will eventually exceed expectations for us and just might blow them out of the water. Obviously better to get the top ranked guy as well as the top 15 guy but I'm just trying to look at the positive side if he does wind up going elsewhere.
I agree. There are always good Iowa wrestlers that seem to overperform. I never expected Brandon Sorenson to do as well as he has at Iowa, although the rest of that weight class is catching up. I think Leisure and Coleman could be diamonds in the rough for us.

Reactions: HitItHard58

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Looking at the freshman or high school senior class
125 - Vega/Baker
133 - Parker/Gomez/Cochran
141 - Storr/Gomez
149 - Leisure/Dewitt
157 - Baptista
165 -
174 - Coleman
184 - Smith (maybe)
197 - Colbray
Hwt - Gremmel

So is Verkleeren a career 149 pounder? Is so, money might be spent better at 157 to 184.
I assume Dresser has a good idea what Smith is doing. Seems like Smith is not real active on social media, which is probably a good thing ;)

CloneWR

Nov 1, 2016
Attendance has increased drastically this season? Show me where it says that. I listen to the guillotine and that's not really the impression/ situation portrayed there IMO. Hey maybe those close to the program are excited about Eggs but the fan base as a whole is underwhelmed. Just visit their boards for a taste of that.
Was discussed by staff at the social my friend took me to. This was also right after Eggum was appointed HC and the arena erupted when that was announced. It is Eggum's program. Don't let the opinions of some forum posters define a whole a fan base. We would hate for PD2 to define us.

Reactions: skibumspe

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Was discussed by staff at the social my friend took me to. This was also right after Eggum was appointed HC and the arena erupted when that was announced. It is Eggum's program. Don't let the opinions of some forum posters define a whole a fan base. We would hate for PD2 to define us.

They hosted Iowa, PSU, Ohio State and Okie State this year. Of course their attendance was up. Heck, throw in Nebraska, Wisconsin and South Dakota State for good measure.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Really puts us in a whole from 157-184. We need a lot of recruiting at those weight classes.
I hope Chase Straw stays around and provide depth at 157.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Really puts us in a whole from 157-184. We need a lot of recruiting at those weight classes.
I hope Chase Straw stays around and provide depth at 157.
Do we recruit Dayton Racer from Iowa Central? I think he is the top JUCO 157 pounder and is real close to Ames right now. He was also committed to Dresser out of HS, so I think there would be a good chance of seeing him in Ames. Maybe I am wrong.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Not sure. Because he was already at VT for part of a year before going to Iowa Central. So I am not sure what type of terms he left on

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Still committed so it looks like at the very least the people that have been saying we were out of it are just plain wrong. Has Dresser been able to contact him and give the spiel? It seems like one of the first things he did was go and get Austin Gomez back on board. I kind of wonder if he sees Jarod as a priority or not. I think the rebuild is going to be at least 3-4 years, so he really needs any talented wrestler that wants to be here.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
He has talked to Jarod. About the same time that he talked to Austin. Or so that is what I was told.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Makes me feel better that he talked about liking the atmosphere and other things but not sure if I can totally believe it. Hopefully we can keep him.

CloneWR

Nov 1, 2016
Didn't give a lot of assurance in his commitment other than he is still committed as of now. Obviously better than initially thought, but still have my worries.

Reactions: Scott34

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The way I interpreted that was "Man...back the **** off these nuts. If anything changes, you'd know. Do you know? You wouldn't be asking if you knew, so nothing has."

I don't know what others heard, but that's what I heard.