Volleyball beats #5 Texas

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They won because I wasn't there to see it! Ok, probably not. But I had my dad come over to help me with installing new lighting in the house and we thought it would take far less time than it did (plus he got there late), so I ended up not going. Boo for me, yay for the team! It's been a while since vball had a significant win like that. Hopefully they can do it again at Kansas.

Suggest we all chip and buy Buster a Home Depot gift certificate and have him buy and install some more lights during the opening matches in the NCAA tournament. Winning!

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Suggest we all chip and buy Buster a Home Depot gift certificate and have him buy and install some more lights during the opening matches in the NCAA tournament. Winning!

I have some more fixtures that can stand to be updated. If it gets us to the final four, I'd happily skip the rest of the season in exchange for that! (And I'd get new lighting!)

Reactions: Timberghost

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'll go out on a limb and say Hillegas has been the lynchpin of the turnaround. Probably about the same time we went 6-2 as well.
I think that, along with the hitting and kills. We played a 6-2 a lot last year and didn't hit this well.
I'll go out on a limb too and say that we're seeing the "Jen Malcomb" effect on our hitters. Ex- middle blocker for us; great addition to our coaching staff. It's no coincidence to me that we went to our first Elite Eight in her senior year here. She will be a head coach (maybe soon) but hope for the sake of our program that she stays for a while.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Great win for the women; they have really turned it around. You can point to the differing success of individual players, but to me, we need to recognize Christie. She is so calm, so determined and so consistent. Lots of posters here were dissing her decisions, but she has turned this team around. So, my pat on the back goes to Christie (and the rest of the coaching staff) as well as the players. They have definitely stepped it up a notch or 2.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Grace clearly has gone up a notch and maybe as TMan says that is attributable to Jen being here, but she even had a single block in the match.

Hillegas definitely has a great platform, some of those digs went sky high - but straight up.

I think the 6 2 rotation also seems to be working pretty well.

Kudos for Christy. KU on the road will be tough on senior night.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Grace clearly has gone up a notch and maybe as TMan says that is attributable to Jen being here, but she even had a single block in the match.

Hillegas definitely has a great platform, some of those digs went sky high - but straight up.

I think the 6 2 rotation also seems to be working pretty well.

Kudos for Christy. KU on the road will be tough on senior night.

The 6-2 switch has been the biggest factor IMO. It created a better block with 3 OH/MB always on the front row, it forced a Horner/Harris setter tandem which performs better than one of them being full-time (Horner is a very good server as well) and it forcibly created more varied & better hitter options for the setters. West and Lazard have been, by far, the biggest beneficiaries of this.

As others have mentioned, the other big factor has been the emergence of Hillegas whose digging/passing has mitigated the transitional issues of the 6-2 where the setter is always in the back row.

Reactions: Cynonymous

Help Support Us

Become a patron