Way Too Early Look at Next Year

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I could see us being like OU this year - a lot of losses, but tough, talented, improving. I could also see us turning into the Clyburn team, where we're playing just above or on the bubble. Some talented playmakers, but no one really standing out as a 1st team all-league star. Jackson and Young have a ton of talent/potential and we got to see some of it this year. Excited for Wigginton. Weiler-Babb is an enigma to me. You can see the potential, and he had some outstanding games this year, but the consistency wasn't there. Hoping for big things from Lard with a semester to practice and be in Ames.
I think weiler-babb steps up huge this year. He seemed like he felt out of place. He didn't find out his role because our team was so dominant. I think he'll be our most improved player

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I think weiler-babb steps up huge this year. He seemed like he felt out of place. He didn't find out his role because our team was so dominant. I think he'll be our most improved player
I agree. He needs to develop some more confidence in his shot. Otherwise, he does a lot of different stuff pretty well.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I hope so. It was tough to gauge the progress of the younger guys and role players this year just because they weren't asked to carry much of the load on offense. I hope more scoring opportunities lead to more confidence for him. The size and skills are definitely there.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Holy Cow.....you do realize that this year's team had that many wins going in to BigI2 tourney, right? No way does next year's team do that, regardless who we sign. You are replacing an All-American pg, freak athlete, & loads of experience. I like optimism, but that's kool-aid at its finest right there, imo. There will be more losses due to inexperience & new faces to gel together, especially early, imo.

Eh, you are probably right. I just dont see us being bottom 3 of the BXII next year, which likely puts us in the 9-9 or 8-10 range of conference. Assuming we go 9-9 in conference, we'd need to win the cupcake non conference games, plus beat Iowa at home, and beat a Mizzou team that may have Porter but will likely still be crappy. We also get the BXII-SEC game at home this year. I don't think 10-2 or 9-3 are unrealistic in non conference. But yes, inexperience could certainly lead to a couple early losses

• Optimistic
Reactions: isutrevman

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You also have to remember that Jackson didn't have much developmental time prior to joining ISU because of his wrist with an offseason to really put in some work he should be pretty darn good next year.

I think he's going to have a breakout senior year like Nader and Burton have had the last two seasons.

• Agree

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I could see that for sure. He just kept getting better as the year went on.

He is going to need to push for some high all-conference honors, maybe even as much as First Team all-Big XII, if we are going to have a team that keeps the streak going.

• Agree

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I think Wiggington's style is similar to Fisher's at TCU, and although he's listed as the PG, Alex Robinson is the guy that runs the show for them. I can see a similar situation with Wiggington & DJ as "PG" but Babb is the one that initiates the offense. Robinson did average more points than Fisher, not sure if Babb will be > Wiggington.

However, our points will have to come from somewhere. Iowa St has pretty consistently had many double figure scorers.
16-17: 4
15-16: 5
14-15: 5... almost 6
13-14: 4
12-13: 5...almost 6
11-12: 3...almost 4
10-11: 5
That's 31 total since Fred started. FWIW, Kansas only has 21 in that same time period.

Prohm in his 4 year career at Murray St had 14.

• Useful
Reactions: brycy

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I'm joining this conversation late and don't feel like reading through 12 pages of comments but the ones that I have read don't mention Jakolby Long. Have we given up on him? I've heard he's a defender and it seems like he'd be a guy we could use at least off the bench to help defend the other teams guards. The guy looks very mature physically.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm joining this conversation late and don't feel like reading through 12 pages of comments but the ones that I have read don't mention Jakolby Long. Have we given up on him? I've heard he's a defender and it seems like he'd be a guy we could use at least off the bench to help defend the other teams guards. The guy looks very mature physically.
Does he have the footspeed to be a defender?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Holy Cow.....you do realize that this year's team had that many wins going in to BigI2 tourney, right? No way does next year's team do that, regardless who we sign. You are replacing an All-American pg, freak athlete, & loads of experience. I like optimism, but that's kool-aid at its finest right there, imo. There will be more losses due to inexperience & new faces to gel together, especially early, imo.

That was an optimistic pick, but may not be that far off if things click well. This year's team easily could have been 3 or 4 games better, so we'd be comparing an underachieving record (in terms of w/l) against a potential overachieving record. Not saying it's likely, or that the teams would be in the same universe as far as talent and potential goes, but the records could be conceivably comparable on the surface.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I bought into the hype on Long as the articles posted stressed how he put defending first. Right now I'd say he's at worst third on the depth cart at a position we are looking to add a starter. At best he makes a Naz type year 2 jump into the rotation.

With our current roster I'd put the O/U on conference wins at 7 but w/ the right two additions matching this seasons total isn't out of the question.

I'd like to see us add two impact players (stretch 4 & a shooter) and leave the other two open giving the Freshmen the opportunity as they look to be a strong foundation Prohm can build the future around.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I bought into the hype on Long as the articles posted stressed how he put defending first. Right now I'd say he's at worst third on the depth cart at a position we are looking to add a starter. At best he makes a Naz type year 2 jump into the rotation.

With our current roster I'd put the O/U on conference wins at 7 but w/ the right two additions matching this seasons total isn't out of the question.

I'd like to see us add two impact players (stretch 4 & a shooter) and leave the other two open giving the Freshmen the opportunity as they look to be a strong foundation Prohm can build the future around.
If we can recruit 4 starters or impact guys that reduce the freshmen PT, you do that. There is no such thing as recruiting over. That's just recruiting.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If we can recruit 4 starters or impact guys that reduce the freshmen PT, you do that. There is no such thing as recruiting over. That's just recruiting.

Absolutely, you find four starters bring them in. You wont. But you don't add short term for depth.

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This year is going to be so different than recent years. The competition for playing time is wide open. Hopefully that carrot leads to some big individual improvement.

Whether we make the dance next year or not, I feel CSP has created a good base for the future with our young guys.

Reactions: FinalFourCy