WBB: All-Big 12 team

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Here are my two cents worth. Seanna, always goes about her business in a very unassuming manner. She almost mysteriously gets her stats without anyone noticing. She's like a stealth player. Yet, she pretty much consistently gets it done. That being said, I felt all season that something was "missing." It was hard to tell what it was. There were the errant passes, the short periods of time when she seemed out of sync, etc. Those may not even be good examples, but I could "sense" something wasn't the same as, say, last year where she was a pit bull on the court. Her stealthiness probably allowed her to slip under the radar.

This is a good spot for Jadda although by the end of the season I wouldn't trade her for another point guard in the conference. Next year she will def be 1st or 2nd team.

Carlton came into her own this year. Interestingly, she was very streaky too. But she was a complete player just like Seanna who could take over a game. The upside is she still has lots of room to grow.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
The team that finished 2 games out of 1st place, lost 7 games, (3 of their last 4) and 2 of those last 3 losses were on their home court (many thanks to ISU) takes the biggest chunk of all the honors. 3 on the 1st team, frosh of the year, def player of the year, coach of the year etc etc. Whatever, that's your consolation prize Texas!

Seanna Johnson snubbed on the 1st team, and the 2nd team, and given an Honorable mention!! WHAT A CROCK!!!!!!

The Washington girl from KU not making 1st team = another travesty. That girl would have started and starred for every other team in the league. She was practically all they had.

Mittie didn't have half as much to work with that Aston had. IMO he was more deserving of COY than her,

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Kind of surprised by Carlton's honor - I consider her our third-best player. She's the leading scorer yes, but puts up a lot of attempts to get there. Would have put Buckley on the second team, but I don't know who I would take off.
Seanna, let's face it - she has not had the same year as last year, when she was first team. Still a force though, esp on the boards.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
FWIW, here's my opinion on "conference awards". (And, I do have some real world experience with this). Basically, it's just someone elses opinion and those opinions are very often tainted by all kinds of factors, mostly juvenile ones. A year from now very few are going to remember or care. What is important to what I call the real players who "get it" is "what do my coaches and my team mates think about me". (One could probably add ISU fans to this also). They are the ones who will remember and who care, really care. That... is what really lasts. The former is just window dressing and soon becomes yesterday's news.

I'm taking a wild stab at this here, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Jadda and Seanna couldn't care two craps about what the "all conference committee" thinks about them. And, that they place an infinite amount of value in what CBF, staff and team mates think of them.

JMO

ps. Anyone remember Nikki.....um....uh ..what was her name...?

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
FWIW, here's my opinion on "conference awards". (And, I do have some real world experience with this). Basically, it's just someone elses opinion and those opinions are very often tainted by all kinds of factors, mostly juvenile ones.
On the contrary, I kinda think these Big 12 all-conference awards - picked by the head coaches - are very meaningful.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Didn't say they weren't meaningful. It's nice recognition. But, IMO, the players that truly "get it" don't play to just capture all conference awards. They play for their coaches, team mates, school and fans.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
FWIW, here's my opinion on "conference awards". (And, I do have some real world experience with this). Basically, it's just someone elses opinion and those opinions are very often tainted by all kinds of factors, mostly juvenile ones. A year from now very few are going to remember or care. What is important to what I call the real players who "get it" is "what do my coaches and my team mates think about me". (One could probably add ISU fans to this also). They are the ones who will remember and who care, really care. That... is what really lasts. The former is just window dressing and soon becomes yesterday's news.

I'm taking a wild stab at this here, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Jadda and Seanna couldn't care two craps about what the "all conference committee" thinks about them. And, that they place an infinite amount of value in what CBF, staff and team mates think of them.

JMO

ps. Anyone remember Nikki.....um....uh ..what was her name...?

I think coaches really want the awards for their players, and they also use them as motivation. When Seanna wasn't recognized, I thought BF was going to blow a gasket.

Don't know what your point is about Nikki....she earned her awards....I think BF would have been torqued if she hadn't gotten 1st team her senior season.

Speaking of awards....hall of fame inductee.....

Angie Welle- Women's Basketball
  • Iowa State's all-time leading scorer (2,149) and rebounder (1,209)
  • Three-time All-American (2000-02), including second-team honors by the AP in 2002
  • Four-time All-Big 12 pick (1999-2002), including first-team honors in 2001 and 2002
  • CoSIDA Academic All-American (2002)
  • Three-time Big 12 All-Tournament team (2000-02), including MVP in 2001
  • Iowa State Female Athlete of the Year (2002)
  • Had her No. 32 jersey retired in 2010

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
:)My point is, IMO from my observations over her career at ISU, Nikki played for Nikki, not ISU, her coaches or her team mates. i.e. Yeah, she was a good player that got recognition. CBF promoted her a lot. It was honorable and correct for him to do so. But, I have to wonder ..is anyone associated with ISU women's basketball, coaches, team mates and fans going to remember her for the awards she got or what they were or for the land mines she left behind? I think the latter.

If I am wrong about Nikki, and I hope I am, I stand corrected.

And yes, Seana was slighted, in my opinion. Should have been nothing worse than second team.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
:)My point is, IMO from my observations over her career at ISU, Nikki played for Nikki, not ISU, her coaches or her team mates.
Yet Nikki Moody is ISU's all-time assists leader. How does that happen - when she just played for herself?!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I find it better to not talk about a player who gave a lot to ISU but also left the university and program with a lot of baggage rather than smear her through the mud.

But that's just me.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Thing I like about Bridget, is she always barrels ahead. Also she almost never seems to get tired. I think our top three players probably would have done better if we would have had better inside play. But that isn't important now, it is doing the best we can in the big 12 tourney. I hope they don't let this be a distraction. I really think Seanna deserved better. But that is gone now. What lies ahead is important.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
Thing I like about Bridget, is she always barrels ahead. Also she almost never seems to get tired. I think our top three players probably would have done better if we would have had better inside play. But that isn't important now, it is doing the best we can in the big 12 tourney. I hope they don't let this be a distraction. I really think Seanna deserved better. But that is gone now. What lies ahead is important.

I feel like Bridget was our best player the last half of the conference season. Seanna struggled to get back to where she was last year. Jadda was consistent, and I feel like she was at least 2nd team.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Bridget's a nice player. She can get you 20 points if she shoots enough. The problem is, she has to shoot enough. She can't play through contact, and as evidenced by our last game, she can be taken away completely. There are games where she's just nowhere. Dumb fouls, whatever. That's inexperience.

Seanna's game can't be taken away. She shows up all the time. This whole conversation makes me wonder if people watch us play. Seanna plays good defense, rebounds, and does all the intangibles. These two awards should have been totally flipped, IMO.

Jadda is just caught behind players in a deep league. If you're a point guard, the team's record is going to influence where you end up. Everything runs through you.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Bridget's a nice player. She can get you 20 points if she shoots enough. The problem is, she has to shoot enough. She can't play through contact, and as evidenced by our last game, she can be taken away completely. There are games where she's just nowhere. Dumb fouls, whatever. That's inexperience.

Seanna's game can't be taken away. She shows up all the time. This whole conversation makes me wonder if people watch us play. Seanna plays good defense, rebounds, and does all the intangibles. These two awards should have been totally flipped, IMO.

Jadda is just caught behind players in a deep league. If you're a point guard, the team's record is going to influence where you end up. Everything runs through you.

I agree. Seanna very quietly does her thing game in and game out. She did have a few off games this year that were prob more noticeable than her great games.