WBB: Scouting TCU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Well, we wonder how this team will do against size, and we will find out right out of the gate.

TCU's front line is 6'6" and 6'3", thought the taller of the two is Bradshaw, a frosh; think we may have been recruiting her for a while....She doesn't seem to play more than 20 minutes. After that, seems their back up is 6'1" in the frontcourt.

In BF's presser, he said we will see how we have to defend their size, but then also with a smirk, said, their size will also have to contend with defending our more perimeter style game, with a smirk/smile.

They are 9-3.

8- 0 at home. Of course, all their wins are against teams with losing records (one is 6-6).

All their losses were really close though, to Purdue, SMU, and South Dakota St.

So their record really doesn't tell us much. Their losses aren't "bad" but none of their wins are "good." Also, none of the teams they lost to are "top" tier.

Their best player is Zahna Medley, a soph point guard, but she is also averaging almost 4 TOs a game while only 4 assists a game. Not too good against the light comp they have had already.

They don't take a lot of threes.

Moody and Hallie both said the loss there last time is fresh in their memories, and they don't want a repeat.

If our guards continue to shoot fairly well, this could be a blowout, but I feel ISU takes this one close with TCU playing a very physical game. I think the play of Seanna and Hallie will be critical early to make the TCU posts uncomfortable dealing with guarding penetration/3-ball. Overall, TCU is a pretty young team, but does have a lot of athleticism, but their coach is concerned about dry spells on the offensive end, and second chance points.

Of note, we will likely see a couple other players that ISU had interest in, Jada Butts and Caitlin Diaz off the bench.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Medley is their main three point threat hitting at a 40% clip. She has taken 75 shots from deep which is more than anyone on our team. Not a good free throw shooting team and they are dominating their opponents on the boards with a 7 board per game advantage. Bradshaw only averages 7 points and 4 boards per game. Not a big contributor. Their top rebounder is Lovings at nearly 8 per game. Had a close road loss to #17 Purdue. That alone should make one worry or at least not take them for granted. Story on that game is at TCU Upset Bid Falls Short Against No. 16 Purdue - TCU Horned Frogs Official Athletic Site

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I think it will be interesting to see the referees again in the Big 12. Remember last year? I remember lotsa violence. I hope they stick to the new rules.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
TCU is a scrappy little team at home. They play good teams very tough there as ISU found out last year. They are still IMO two good players away from being at the next level. Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, I plan to be there tomorrow night to eye witness this game. I hope I feel a little better than I do today as I have a mild case of the Texas flu ( which is far worse than Iowa flu ). I hope there is a game thread on here, but that doesn't seem to be a big thing on this board. I'll have my google chrome with me; might want to make a comment or two during the game.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
TCU is a scrappy little team at home. They play good teams very tough there as ISU found out last year. They are still IMO two good players away from being at the next level. Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, I plan to be there tomorrow night to eye witness this game. I hope I feel a little better than I do today as I have a mild case of the Texas flu ( which is far worse than Iowa flu ). I hope there is a game thread on here, but that doesn't seem to be a big thing on this board. I'll have my google chrome with me; might want to make a comment or two during the game.

There hasn't been too many gameday threads in non-conf, generally been rolled into threads like this. Just takes one person to start it, though.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
TCU I hope there is a game thread on here, but that doesn't seem to be a big thing on this board. I'll have my google chrome with me; might want to make a comment or two during the game.

I am not one to post during games -- too much anxious energy. But geewago you may start a game tread and post even if no one else does, or keep tabs here: http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/womens-basketball/181728-wbb-scouting-tcu.html if by de facto it becomes the game tread. I enjoy your posts from down there in Teaxas (sic). Would like to read your comments as with insights being close to the action.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I don't post during games either. I am generally glued to the tv, but if it is a game I can't watch on tv, I turn on cyclone radio, and then I can post during the game. I can't post and watch tv at the same time. I agree with the anxious energy part.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
So no way we can find the game on tv or streaming?

As StClone noted, "Thursday's contest against Iowa State will be streamed live on FrogVision." FrogVision has a monthly rate of $9.95. I've generally been disappointed with home team announcers who aren't named Molly and Rich, but, technology is certainly getting better. I'd support a conference subscription of some sort.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/multimedia/listenlive.html

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
As StClone noted, "Thursday's contest against Iowa State will be streamed live on FrogVision." FrogVision has a monthly rate of $9.95. I've generally been disappointed with home team announcers who aren't named Molly and Rich, but, technology is certainly getting better. I'd support a conference subscription of some sort.

TCU Horned Frogs Official Athletic Site - Multimedia

Many of the big 12 schools have ULine(Frogvision is part of Ulive). It is just more a month. I think it is 18 now. Baylor, Kansas State, Texas Tech, OSU, and TCU use it. See the big 12 games aired on it tonight. If you want, they are offering a free week trial.

CBSSports.com ULive

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
In the past sometimes if a school aired it on their version of Cy Tv they would allow cy tv to pick it up but I doubt this will happen tonight.